Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742800 times)
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: February 12, 2008, 08:22:50 pm »

The quotes in PS:T didn't bother me at all, and if I wasn't reminded by posters in this thread which games use quotes or asterisks, I wouldn't even remember.  All I really want is a delineation between action and dialog.  As long as the delineations are consistent, I'm fine either way.

Most of these kinds of elements are of little concern to me, and my preference is very slight.

I should actually change my vote to "whatever way is easier to implement at this stage of development".

I am dying to play this.

-W
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:14:39 pm by One Wolf » Logged

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: February 13, 2008, 04:58:05 am »

I should actually change my vote to "whatever way is easier to implement at this stage of development".

I dying to play this.
Same here.

Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 13, 2008, 06:07:37 am »

I dying to play this.
Same here.
Lazy buggers.

Pastel: "PS:T had rat diplomacy - although the buggers would betray you, I think. Rotten, filthy creatures."
Paranoid Jack
Apprentice

I see right through you...

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 13, 2008, 09:54:52 am »

41 Pages in were just finished with the first quest.    Haha, no

Just my two cents...  but I too prefer the proper "quotations" over the *asterisk*. Though I'll admit either way shouldn't be a huge problem for anyone...  anyone reasonable that is.
Puu
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 13, 2008, 10:57:48 am »

I'll throw my coin for "'s.  As some people already noted, *'s are too forumy and *slappy*.
The Best way to use quotes? Behold!

1. Shake his hand  "Nice to meet you."

or

2. Kick the bastard in the face "Fuck off and die!"

edit: Bit crappy and offtopicish example actually because actions like shaking hands should be included in that great and mighty npc talk box thingy (i.e.  Fat merchant greets you with a bear hug  "Greetings blahblah")
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 01:15:16 pm by Puu » Logged
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 13, 2008, 11:12:51 am »

1. Shake his hand.  "Nice to meet you."

or

2. Kick the bastard in the face. "Fuck off and die!"

fixed Smile

My vote is still for *'s, simply assuming that it is way easier to add them to the few places where actions are designated, in contrast to adding "" to every single line of dialogue, where its superfluous in most cases. But VD should speak a word of power now. Unless he already did a while back and was ignored  Tongue

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 13, 2008, 11:25:50 am »

*'s are too forumy
Like it's an argument or will ruin a game for anyone.

Pastel: "PS:T had rat diplomacy - although the buggers would betray you, I think. Rotten, filthy creatures."
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 13, 2008, 02:19:06 pm »

VD, back in this post, shouldn't the [Persuation] check be a [Etiquette] check?

Also, and this is so nitpicky and unimportant that I hesitate to even mention it, wouldn't a Lord be more likely to say "I'll have your tongue cut out" as opposed to "I'll cut your tongue out"?  For some reason it is hard for me to picture a Lord doing the cutting.  Maybe the PC is "that" kind of Lord, for all I know.

-W

zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 13, 2008, 03:34:08 pm »

*'s are too forumy
Like it's an argument or will ruin a game for anyone.

Oh, And quotes will? What about books? Every thing said by anyone has ""s and no one even notices.

Edit: Vitriol and post length both halved.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:36:40 pm by zhirzzh » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 13, 2008, 03:38:28 pm »

Good points, Wolf. It's an old text and the check had already been changed to Etiquette in the database.
Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 13, 2008, 04:11:09 pm »

Oh, And quotes will?
No way. Especially if half of the text will be descriptional.

Mephisto
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 13, 2008, 04:46:16 pm »

I think it should be disguise, as you are trying to pose as a noble, not directing to one.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 13, 2008, 05:05:48 pm »

I think it should be disguise, as you are trying to pose as a noble, not directing to one.
Sorry, crazy day. That's what I was trying to say. First check is Disguise, second is Lore.

[disguise] I *am* a lord. Call me a peasant one more time and I'll cut your insolent tongue off!
My apologies, lord….?
Taliades. I'm sure you've heard that name before.
It's an honor, your lordship. I was always impressed by the battle your House won at Nicaea.

1. Yes, it was a great battle, wasn't it? Nice of you to remember.
2. [lore] My House had fought for the Emperor at Trudoth, East Beck, and Stanias. Since you don't know what you're talking about, stop wasting my time and open that door!
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 13, 2008, 06:14:18 pm »

Hah, that's what I meant to write.  I even got confused for a second not realizing that I had written "Etiquette".

[disguise] I *am* a lord. Call me a peasant one more time and I'll cut your insolent tongue off!
My apologies, lord….?
Taliades. I'm sure you've heard that name before.
It's an honor, your lordship. I was always impressed by the battle your House won at Nicaea.

1. Yes, it was a great battle, wasn't it? Nice of you to remember.
2. [lore] My House had fought for the Emperor at Trudoth, East Beck, and Stanias. Since you don't know what you're talking about, stop wasting my time and open that door!

This is too neat.  The guard is trying to throw you off by using false historical data.  I'm guessing if you answer 1. (yes, it was a great battle....), the guard knows you're full of shit.  Totally plausible.  Every time I see new dialog I get a little blood-rush. 

-W

Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 14, 2008, 08:48:48 am »

Wouldn't Streetwise work as well?
[streetwise] You notice that he is lying. "Are you trying to test my knowledge, peasant? My house fought no battle at Niceea."
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: