Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 562943 times)
xenocide

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 07, 2008, 04:55:45 pm »

I too was confused by the dialogue with the several guild members. I thought Dias! was just an exclamation, like "Jesus!" How about starting it with something like a mini introduction: "Titus, Dias, Coltan - Listen up! Ready for more work?"
Would you address your employees this way? "Jack, Sarah, Thomas - listen up!" A more realistic way is to call names and assign tasks. Originally, it was Dias, an Aurelian envoy..., but when it was shown at the Codex, people complained that coma implies that Dias is an Aurelian envoy.

The way I see it we have two options: write realistic conversations and always risk losing players a bit or write messages to the player disguised as conversations. 

I agree.  I think the way it written now is fine.  A new paragraph for each char would be ok as well. 

Dias!  blah blah

Coltan, blah blah

Titus, blah blah

the same wording just hit enter between the Dias and Coltan instructions.

Quote from: Neleos
I'm not good at these things. Ask Feng, the loremaster. He should know.

I'm not good at these things?  What things? Maps?  Conversations?  The guy sounds like an idiot if that's the real line. 
You show him an antique scroll. He looks at it and says that he isn't good at these things. "These things" is a reference to antique documents. You may not like the line and prefer another, but "I'm not good at these things" is a perfectly normal response that I've heard quite a few times in regard to software, taxes, gardening, etc. Googling it (I was surprised at your reaction and googled it out of curiosity) gives you 71,000 matches.

How about: "What do I look like, a scholar?  Go bother the loremaster if you want a geography lesson."  or something similar.

Edit: Or "What do I look like, a loremaster?  Go bother Feng if you want a geography lesson." if you want to get Feng's name out there.
It's a simple question that doesn't call for a "fuck off" response.

I think we may be starting to get nitpicky here again.  I only mentioned what I did because I did not think Neleos said anything about the map.  "these things" made perfect sense to me.  Although I don't think the other examples are as "fuck offish" as Vince does.  "I'm no scholar.  Ask Feng, the loremaster. He should know." sounds good too. 
Euchrid

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 08, 2008, 06:17:28 am »

Agree with CardTrick, I think square brackets for skills, quotes for dialogue and italics for actions looks best.

1. "Are you sure that they are spies?"
2. Open the window.
3. [Dexterity] "Catch!" Throw the guard your crossbow. While he’s distracted, use a crossbow bolt as an improvised dagger, and lunge for his throat.

Or, if the italics are distinct enough (or using different colours), it is possible to do without the quotes for dialogue:

1. Are you sure that they are spies?
2. Open the window.
3. [Dexterity] Catch! Throw the guard your crossbow. While he’s distracted, use a crossbow bolt as an improvised dagger, and lunge for his throat.

The rainbow option:  Wink

1. Are you sure that they are spies?
2. Open the window.
3. [Dexterity] Catch! Throw the guard your crossbow. While he’s distracted, use a crossbow bolt as an improvised dagger, and lunge for his throat.

Anything consistent which clearly enough separates the three types of text is fine, just thought I'd post my preference.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:42:29 am by Euchrid » Logged
puppyonastik
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 08, 2008, 07:00:03 am »

The colors idea would be a great touch. everything stands out well.

Quote from: Mayday
Can a single dick even enter a group setting?
Quote from: Fez
You've never lived until you've tried it.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: February 08, 2008, 07:41:11 am »

The colors idea would be a great touch. everything stands out well.
No it doesn't it's a mess!

Go with the quotes thing, or put some *s in the actions...

Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 08, 2008, 09:36:45 am »

2. Open the window.
3. [Dexterity] "Catch!" Throw the guard your crossbow. While he’s distracted, use a crossbow bolt as an improvised dagger, and lunge for his throat.

This is easy on the eyes and easy to understand, but (again), the quotes aren't necessary since you've already done a fine job of distinguishing the other two types.

"Why do I hate quotes?" you ask?  Was I abused by quotes as a child?  No.  They're useful in a book because the unquoted text (usually) makes up the majority of the content.  Descriptive text isn't put in italics in a novel, is it?  It doesn't have to be, so it's not.  If they're not necessary, which in the above scheme they're not, there's no reason to use them.  If there's no use for something in a design, don't use it.

The rainbow look is awful.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Sin Slayers
puppyonastik
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 08, 2008, 10:18:13 am »

haha, well you don't necessarily have to use those same colors. Different shades of grey could work too.

2. Open the window.

Using this format and some color or shades would be preferred, to me at least. Though according to Morbus' reaction, I'm probably on crack. Maybe make it an option to make it so that people can choose from different styles?

Quote from: Mayday
Can a single dick even enter a group setting?
Quote from: Fez
You've never lived until you've tried it.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 08, 2008, 01:11:26 pm »

2. Open the window.

I don't think I suggested italics for actions. Not that I mind it (almost anything is preferable to *'s). Still, I don't see what's wrong with:

2. Open the window.

That's certainly my preference.

I'm not sure how I feel about the colors. They look good on the forum. I'd have to see them in a few in-game screenshots before I made up my mind. I liked having colored text in MUDs when I used to play those; it was very easy to tell at a glance what kind of information I was seeing. On the other hand, that was important in MUDs because they have nothing but text, and in a graphically rich game like AoD I suspect the colors might be distracting, garish, and out of place.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 08, 2008, 01:20:18 pm »

No color, and no italics. We can't use brackets because we use them for stat/skill tags. So, we are down to " and *.

I prefer *, simply because they are less intrusive and using quotes everywhere will clutter the text.

My 2 cents.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: February 08, 2008, 01:24:55 pm »

No color, and no italics. We can't use brackets because we use them for stat/skill tags. So, we are down to " and *.

I prefer *, simply because they are less intrusive and using quotes everywhere will clutter the text.

My 2 cents.
My thoughts exactly. Go for it.

John Yossarian

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 08, 2008, 01:29:55 pm »

Euchrid's first version is my fav., but if italics are out, I'd take cardtrick's version. As he said, anything but *.
xenocide

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 08, 2008, 02:06:31 pm »

No color, and no italics. We can't use brackets because we use them for stat/skill tags.

good

As long as it is consistent either one would be fine IMO.  But to be honest I don't agree with the above statement.  Look at Cardtrick's example, I do not think the quotes are intrusive at all, I think they work great.  I would be fine with either quotes or *, but I do like quotes better.  You see quotes used every day to denote spoken words, I never see * when reading text so to me the * is more intrusive then the quotes.

"Nice to meet you." Shake his hand

Nice to meet you. *shake his hand

You really see the * above as less intrusive?  Actually the more I look at it the more I like quotes, the * just stick out to me.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: February 08, 2008, 02:19:03 pm »

Actually, I get the idea that it's
Nice to meet you *shake his hand*
... Makes more sense to me.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 08, 2008, 02:23:06 pm »

Yep. Easier to read too.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 08, 2008, 02:45:25 pm »

I too was confused by the dialogue with the several guild members. I thought Dias! was just an exclamation, like "Jesus!" How about starting it with something like a mini introduction: "Titus, Dias, Coltan - Listen up! Ready for more work?"
Would you address your employees this way? "Jack, Sarah, Thomas - listen up!" A more realistic way is to call names and assign tasks. Originally, it was Dias, an Aurelian envoy..., but when it was shown at the Codex, people complained that coma implies that Dias is an Aurelian envoy.

The way I see it we have two options: write realistic conversations and always risk losing players a bit or write messages to the player disguised as conversations. 
I politely diagree. I do not see these at all as mutually exclusive.
 Written dialogue is not "realistic" first and foremost. It is in fact a message to the reader. Therefore you need to keep both goals in mind, keeping it flowing nicely, lively, and believable (which I prefer to saying realistic), and making sure it is understood by the player. Realistic dialogue is in most cases absolutely unreadable, as you can easily see from verbatim transcripts of actual live interviews or conversations. From what I have seen of the Vignette so far the player doesn't know these characters, he doesnt even know that Dias and Coltan are names - since they are Fantasy names and not Jack or Sarah, they could as well be curses, gods, pieces of furniture, or the excreta of Uglybirds. If you don't like my intro sentence, I am sure you can find some other change, that makes it clear these are names, and maybe even introduce the characters to you a tiny little bit (if they appear more than this once).

As to the question - well, if I am calling a business meeting I certainly address the people attending in some way before getting down to business. Of course I have no experience with the asassination business, so my experience may not apply  8)

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
xenocide

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 08, 2008, 02:56:41 pm »

Actually, I get the idea that it's
... Makes more sense to me.

Yep. Easier to read too.

Wow.  I guess I don't know what to say after reading that.

makes more sense and is easier to read than this:

"Nice to meet you" shake his hand

what do you guys do when you read a book?  As I said it is more of a minor issue to me and I can live with either, but to see * the way you guys do I just do not get.

What if you needed to speak magic words to open a door:

Flugal Falng Klopp Zhg *step back*

makes more sense than:

"Flugal Falng Klopp Zhg" step back

Sure, you can figure everything out via the context, but quotes instantly tell you what is happening regardless of the context.

To each his own I guess.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: