Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 552086 times)
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: January 29, 2008, 11:16:46 am »

Alright, this is my last reply to you, because you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. You spend too much time on the codex or something? I have no idea why you're doing this..
Because I'm me?

you are just using a straw-man argument, now. Wanna see me doing it?
Funny, because you started it with this shit by saying: "let's make graphics of gems and armor stacks, too." I just replied in the same manner to you and now you suddenly start complaining?
Why do you lie? I didn't use that as an argument. It has nothing to do with icons changing according to stack size.

if you don't wanna use numbers, why do we have that skill thing and stuff?
I don't wanna use numbers?
That was not a serious argument as you should be able to gather when I said "But you are just using a straw-man argument, now. Wanna see me doing it? Ok, here it is: (...)"

I love them, my friend. In fact, i'm studying mathematics. All i'm saying is that in a graphical game you need graphical representations of numbers. Of course you have to draw the line somewhere, but copy-pasting some more coins is miles away from creating a "realistic" body with all attributes visible.
It is miles away, yes, but it's the same principle. There's no need in changing the coin icon. That's what the number is there for. If you feel the need to change it, you should also change the other items... Where did I loose you?

Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 29, 2008, 06:27:38 pm »

So we're discussing gems now?  Roll Eyes
While we're at it, HoMM2 had some sexy ones.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 29, 2008, 07:00:01 pm »

I see your HoMM gems and raise you D2 gems:

They made such a wonderful sound when dropped.

Edit: My heart belongs to Dungeon Master items. How I loved them...

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 07:05:51 pm by Vince » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 29, 2008, 07:05:19 pm »

That's true... Smile

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Paranoid Jack
Apprentice

I see right through you...

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 30, 2008, 01:05:24 am »

If I make a comment about the guards sword needs to take damage (or at least it's pommel) when he beans the PC with it... will that get the thread back on track?     lol
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 30, 2008, 01:38:52 am »

If I make a comment about the guards sword needs to take damage (or at least it's pommel) when he beans the PC with it... will that get the thread back on track?     lol

No. Weapon degradation isn't implemented in the game, and thank God for that. But how about if I take this opportunity to quote myself?

I remembered one other thing I wanted to mention. Why does the dialog screen show you gaining 2 sps followed by gaining 1sp? Was there a bonus skillpoint for making the dexterity check?

If there are often situations when you will be gaining skillpoints a couple of times in quick succession, I think it would be nice to have text like:

You gain 2 skillpoints for assassinating Gracius.
You gain 1 skillpoint for completely misusing a crossbow.

And hey, this would give you the chance to insert your trademark humor. You know as well as I do that AoD needs its own equivalent to MOTB's "XP granted for becoming the jarl of a clan of frost giants and immediately kicking everyone out of the clan."
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: January 30, 2008, 10:17:33 am »

Gems, potions and pretty much everything else. Diablo 2 is one of the most charismatic sounding games ever. Smile Blizzard has a gift for that.

zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 30, 2008, 06:44:44 pm »

There hasn't been enough comment on Star's idea. What do you all say about AoD becoming Darklands 2?
TheLostOne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 30, 2008, 06:55:09 pm »

I like it.  I remember loving when I suddenly had a huge stack of coins in my inv in MI once I got shot out of the cannon.

Won't care much if it's not in though.  It's a flavour thing.  Could be a nice touch but won't change the game much for better or worse.  On the other hand, nice touches can add up...
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 30, 2008, 07:51:20 pm »

There hasn't been enough comment on Star's idea. What do you all say about AoD becoming Darklands 2?

The reason for the lack of comments is that most of us couldn't care less about either the coin graphic or this bickering. Still, here goes.

I felt that star's original complaint about only showing three coins to represent hundreds of gold was too strongly worded (I would hardly call it "lame"), but I saw where he was coming from at least. You, Xenocide, Ghan, and I all said that we liked the coin graphic as it is -- so far, so good.

At this point, star completely inoffensively clarified his point, noting that he just wanted a few different coin icons to represent different ranges of money as a sort of reward for the player to visually show his increasing wealth. Moreover, he suggested that it wouldn't be too hard (since the coins are evidently already modeled) to make larger stacks, and pointed out that he was just trying to help. Fine, and at this point I was definitely more sympathetic to his point but felt that for me, personally, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

For some reason, you and Morbus found this quite upsetting apparently. I don't really get it. Anyway, Morbus came up with some strawman arguments about the icons not being photography of exact items, and having to display multiple items for everything that stacked. This would only have made sense if star were proposing to show exactly the number of coins the player had, which of course he was not. He was merely proposing having several different icons.

Star defended himself by claiming that the game encourages you to collect coins. I don't really agree with this in a literal sense, but once more I see where he's coming from. It's hard to deny that there's a fundamental, qualitative difference between money and armor, or gems, or any other item. Money is used to buy things, is frequently given as reward, takes up no weight, etc. If you were going to pick exactly one item to treat differently, money would be it.

Anyway, at this point it descended into a minor and still reasonably civil flamewar between Morbus and star, both of them exaggerating the other's point to try and make it ridiculous. I can't be bothered to give the play by play (and honestly I'm not sure why I did bother for the last few paragraphs) but you can read it yourself presumably.

Based on:

It doesn't matter though, what I said has nothing to do with collections and stuff.

Yeah of course, you said just show some numbers, 'cause they're simple yet effective, right?.. Why make an actual image of 3 enemies coming for my ass, just write "You're under attack by 3 legionnaires, getting hit for 13 hp". If we do it this way the game can be out next week, man you're brilliant, thanks for this great suggestion!

That's a fine suggestion. Most of us wouldn't mind. Sure it'd decrease the mass appeal, but come on. Take us one step further than ASCII Vince  lol .

I have to assume that when you're talking about "Star's suggestion" and "Darklands 2" you're referring to this sarcastic rhetoric. Why you would want to extend this stupid argument any further is, frankly, beyond me. I assume you're bored.

Anyway, I think that in TheLostOne's last post, he was clearly referring to Star's original suggestion of having several different coin icons representing different degrees of wealth. Like TheLostOne, I'm now going to ignore the "text-based game" joke suggestion, and talk about the original idea.

I agree that it's a nice flavor thing, and in an ideal world I would like to see it implemented. I still don't really feel like it's worth the time, unless it would take less than, say, 2 man-hours. Before Morbus and/or zhirzzh chime in again, let me just point out that it's not like this is some radical new and totally illogical suggestion. It's been done before, although I'm having trouble remembering the games in which I have seen it used, and it's hard to find lots of screenshots of inventory screens with different amounts of gold (go figure, right?). At the very least, I know it was used in Vampire: Bloodlines, although rather than a pile of coins it was a wallet that was empty when you only had a few bucks, showed some twenty's poking up when you had a few hundred, and towards the end of the game when you were rich was filled to bursting with crisp bills. I definitely like this when it is used. Part of the appeal of RPGs for me is in character development and progression, and it does feel nice to get visual indicators of my increasing standing in the world, like fancier armor or larger stacks of coins.
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 30, 2008, 08:07:18 pm »

There hasn't been enough comments becuase it doesn't matter to most people. If it was implemented, I'm guessing the only one that would care would be Star. This just show's me that it's probably not worth the effort.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:16:19 pm by Special_Can » Logged

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 30, 2008, 09:41:22 pm »

Perhaps keep the same number of coins, but create different denominations? I think that this would be a fun flavor addition, and better than showing that your character has more gold than he should be able to carry.

I do think it would be an interesting idea to create a simple text version to be released on the forum. It could come out much sooner while he's working on the rest of the game. Yes, I am very bored. I'm playing Darklands now, but can't get it to run well in DOS box, so I have to wait till I can get my 98 out. I also wrote that at 3 AM, a bad habit.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:45:42 pm by zhirzzh » Logged
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 31, 2008, 07:39:17 am »

Can we move on?

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 31, 2008, 01:44:45 pm »

Vince, do you still plan on playing the whole Town?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 31, 2008, 02:03:45 pm »

If I have time, sure. Unfortunately, between my work (the company keeps expanding, which increases my workload - more sales reps, coordinators, managers to hire, train, and deal with), AoD work, mutiny (Nick feels that the let's play thread generates more work than we are ready to handle at the moment, like the bolt fighting thing and various scripts), and some articles/interviews, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the let's play thread.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: