Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 551837 times)
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2008, 06:25:50 pm »

I am going to have to disagree here.  IMO the coin graphic they have is one of the best graphics I have seen, I love it.
Agreed.
With that in mind (and it will be while playing the game) the "transfer" button as is will be obviously a drop button as well.
Indifferent/not enough information.
I also hope you can drag and drop.

The gems look good to me as is.
Agreed, and agreed.
zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2008, 07:22:48 pm »

The coins are great as they are. You can even make out the faces on them.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 29, 2008, 02:21:47 am »

Lets not make these good people redesign gems and coins! I want this to come out this year.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 29, 2008, 02:40:29 am »

Lets not make these good people redesign gems and coins! I want this to come out this year.
Don't be so egoistic. We're aiming at perfect rpg here.

Pastel: "PS:T had rat diplomacy - although the buggers would betray you, I think. Rotten, filthy creatures."
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 29, 2008, 05:51:01 am »

Yeah, i agree with you guys, the coins look fantastic as they are and the devs can go on to more important issues. I just wanted to point out that maybe after playing for 30 hours and collecting riches everywhere you maybe want to see them in your inventory too, gives you more of a reward feeling. And i'm sure Oscar can make a big stack of money look just as good as these three coins. I always loved it to have piles of money with me (think of monkey island 2's beginning for example, that was a game start! Would not have worked with a 3 coin image..).

Anyway, it's not a big deal but also not a lot of work copy-pasting some more coins into the image. I'm just trying to help.

edit: for clarity, i don't want them to remove the 3 coin image, but to make more after it. For example, if my balance is 1-50 gold the 3 coin image is shown, 51-500 gold some more coins are added to the image, 500-xxxx gold: big stacks almost collapsing under their own weight.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:58:36 am by star » Logged
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2008, 06:02:13 am »

Coins are fine. Awesome, in fact. They are just a symbolic icon, not a photography of the actual icon. Otherwise you'd have to have multiple items for each item that stacks, say, shafts, gems maybe? No, let the number be there: it's there for a reason.

:EDIT:
Oh, wait, I just thought of it: there's no reason why any item wouldn't stock, it's not like their size matters, so, yeah, if you want different icons for different numbers of coins, you should also want different icons for different numbers of armor and stuff like that. Not needed, and numbers work better.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:04:09 am by Morbus » Logged

star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 29, 2008, 06:07:32 am »

Coins are fine. Awesome, in fact. They are just a symbolic icon, not a photography of the actual icon. Otherwise you'd have to have multiple items for each item that stacks, say, shafts, gems maybe? No, let the number be there: it's there for a reason.

:EDIT:
Oh, wait, I just thought of it: there's no reason why any item wouldn't stock, it's not like their size matters, so, yeah, if you want different icons for different numbers of coins, you should also want different icons for different numbers of armor and stuff like that. Not needed, and numbers work better.

Come on now, be fair. The game encourages you to collect coins, as a kind of reward for your deeds. If the game would revolve around collecting big stacks of armor as reward, then yes, it would be wise to show your collected armors in a visually rewarding manner.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: January 29, 2008, 06:19:52 am »

Come on now, be fair. The game encourages you to collect coins, as a kind of reward for your deeds.
Does it? Because I don't want to collect coins. I want to use them. It doesn't matter though, what I said has nothing to do with collections and stuff.

star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 29, 2008, 06:35:57 am »

It doesn't matter though, what I said has nothing to do with collections and stuff.

Yeah of course, you said just show some numbers, 'cause they're simple yet effective, right?.. Why make an actual image of 3 enemies coming for my ass, just write "You're under attack by 3 legionnaires, getting hit for 13 hp". If we do it this way the game can be out next week, man you're brilliant, thanks for this great suggestion!
zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 29, 2008, 06:42:13 am »

It doesn't matter though, what I said has nothing to do with collections and stuff.

Yeah of course, you said just show some numbers, 'cause they're simple yet effective, right?.. Why make an actual image of 3 enemies coming for my ass, just write "You're under attack by 3 legionnaires, getting hit for 13 hp". If we do it this way the game can be out next week, man you're brilliant, thanks for this great suggestion!

That's a fine suggestion. Most of us wouldn't mind. Sure it'd decrease the mass appeal, but come on. Take us one step further than ASCII Vince  lol .
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:43:49 am by zhirzzh » Logged
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: January 29, 2008, 07:53:41 am »

Yeah of course, you said just show some numbers, 'cause they're simple yet effective, right?..
Yup, that was my point.

Why make an actual image of 3 enemies coming for my ass, just write "You're under attack by 3 legionnaires, getting hit for 13 hp". If we do it this way the game can be out next week, man you're brilliant, thanks for this great suggestion!
I wouldn't mind that. But you are just using a straw-man argument, now. Wanna see me doing it? Ok, here it is: if you don't wanna use numbers, why do we have that skill thing and stuff? We should instead have the PC's muscles grow and stuff, and show their brain tissue to know their intelligence and charisma, you know? That way the game would be perfect.

And why turn based? Real time is much more realistic.

NOT!

Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2008, 09:41:26 am »

Yes, the gemstones are fantastic!  But I don't like the stab-the-guard scenario at all.

This so-called "guard" is a mercenary hired to guard (there it is again) some merchant.  Guarding someone implies some sort of alertness.  True, he completely failed in this one task in his miserable life, but lets put that aside for the moment.  He just witnessed an assassin first threaten the merchant, then kill him in cold blood.  Now they're both in a very intimate space together and they're both armed.  At this point I'd think anyone's great-grandmother, much less a hardened mercenary, would tense up for what comes next.

Instead, he's standing there like an idiot observing said assassin, wheels slowly, rustily turning in his vast empty skull...

Then you say "Catch!" and distract him and throw something at him and BAM!  You've killed him!

What?  What is this, Remo Willams: The Adventure Begins?  It sounds like 10-year-old PnP hour.  More plausible:  you make a move to throw a burning lamp in his face, he lunges at you with his sword, who's faster?  That, at least I could see happening. If the crossbow was loaded, you make a desperate move to fire it point blank...  It's not loaded.  I never thought the option to kill the guard was necessary anyway, but the way it's written makes no sense at all.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2008, 09:43:13 am »

Alright, this is my last reply to you, because you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. You spend too much time on the codex or something? I have no idea why you're doing this..

you are just using a straw-man argument, now. Wanna see me doing it?

Funny, because you started it with this shit by saying: "let's make graphics of gems and armor stacks, too." I just replied in the same manner to you and now you suddenly start complaining?

if you don't wanna use numbers, why do we have that skill thing and stuff?

I don't wanna use numbers? I love them, my friend. In fact, i'm studying mathematics. All i'm saying is that in a graphical game you need graphical representations of numbers. Of course you have to draw the line somewhere, but copy-pasting some more coins is miles away from creating a "realistic" body with all attributes visible.

And why turn based? Real time is much more realistic.

NOT!

Now you're really overdoing it.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:39 am »

Yes, the gemstones are fantastic!  But I don't like the stab-the-guard scenario at all.
Did you read the last 10 pages by any chance?

This so-called "guard" is a mercenary hired to guard (there it is again) some merchant.  Guarding someone implies some sort of alertness.
That's one of the inn's rent-a-guards for folks who are too cheap to hire real guards. From the merc's vignette:

Innkeeper: Hail to you, master merchant! How may we serve you today?
Gracius: Give me your best room, send for a good loremaster, and have one of your goons to make sure I'm not disturbed. *He throws the innkeeper a coin.
Innkeeper: Consider it done, oh generous one.

Innkeeper: Hey, [charname], finally we have a job for you. Our guest requires the pleasure of your company, so go clean yourself and your armor, and see him when you are done. Move, don't stare at me all day!

PC: Master, I'm one of the inn's guards. Your stay will be safe and comfortable, I'll see to that.
Merchant: *sighs* I should have brought one of my own guards. If only it didn't cost me too damn much. . . Anyway, I guess you will have to do then.

Then you say "Catch!" and distract him and throw something at him and BAM!  You've killed him!
Only if you are very, very fast.

If 2.

2a. The bolt head pierces the guard's unprotected throat, cutting the arteries and flooding the windpipe with blood. His eyes roll up and he falls down without a sound.
-
2b. The guard moves to the side and the bolt head tears a wound in his neck, missing the vitals. Blood gushes out and the suddenly pale guard charges at you. (loses 5HP per turn, penalty to hit 20%)
-
2c. The guard swiftly moves to the side and hits you with the pommel of his sword. He smiles unpleasantly, showing rotten teeth, and charges at you.

Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2008, 11:07:08 am »

Will have to get a dental plan if I am playing the merc. Smile

Looking great Vince.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: