Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 562868 times)
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 28, 2008, 10:42:09 am »

Edit: Anyway, let's talk about what's really important here. Is the blue gem awesome or what? And the coins?

Indeed, good work on those. Oscar just keeps getting better everytime you use him on something.  Wink

Usual minor nitpick: The numbers say it's 212 coins (or something), but you see only 3 of them.. I hope you decide to create some more coin images for the higher numbers. If i own 10.000 gold in late game it would be pretty lame to see that big stack of money depicted as the same 3 coins from the games beginning.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:58 am »

Finally, I'm not thrilled with the transfer items screen. ... It's simple -- just switch the "Transfer" and "Take All" buttons with the gold and weight indicators. Then the screen would make perfect sense.
That's actually a very good suggestion. At first I was going to laugh at it by furiously typing "U KNOW NOTHING! NOTHING!!!!", but unfortunately it makes a lot of sense, so I'll postpone my devastating attack until the next time.

So, while we are discussing the looting screen, is there anything else you guys want? Redoing 16 screens (different resolutions and buttons) is a lot of fun, so let's make sure we change things only once.

Edit: Anyway, let's talk about what's really important here. Is the blue gem awesome or what? And the coins?

Yes Vince, nice gem, nice coins. Good boy!

Suggestions:
- See above: captions for the two lists
- A *drop* button - so I can make room in my inventory if necessary, without leaving the screen.
- Maybe give the highlighted lines a direction (an arrowhead, or animated texture) to indicate that transfer goes (in this case) left to right?
- have one info box in central location showing the weight /gold of selected items, and an info to the right showing total weight in inventory after transfer of selected itmes. Include suitable headings or tooltips.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2008, 11:00:05 am »

Yes Vince, nice gem, nice coins. Good boy!
Thank you. Was it that difficult?

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:57 am »

- A *drop* button - so I can make room in my inventory if necessary, without leaving the screen.
- Maybe give the highlighted lines a direction (an arrowhead, or animated texture) to indicate that transfer goes (in this case) left to right?

By transfer it means both way transfer. You select stuff from your inventory and it gets dropped. Smile
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:06:15 am by Oscar » Logged

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2008, 11:49:42 am »

When I look at it, I want to drag stuff around. Can I? I didn't get the "transfer" thing right away, but if I can drag stuff, I don't think that'd be a problem... Now I know how it works, but I'm not the only player Tongue

Otherwise, it's a great screen, like everything else. The tone of the HUD is awesome, as has been for some time since the last (?) HUD update. I still don't like the rope very much, but it's ok, it's not that it looks anything else. The coins are awesome, but the gems are a bit... huh... generic... I don't know, I'm no artist, but they look so generic... I mean, there probably isn't much left to do, but they somehow remind me of Lionheart... And Baldur's Gate... Gemmy games... I prefer the style of Divine Divinity gems, those were some nice charismatic gems. Very cool. But those are nice too.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2008, 11:58:24 am »

Pictures?
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: January 28, 2008, 12:57:40 pm »

Pictures?
Yeah, sure. I'll try to find the game, or maybe some screenshots on the internet. I'll be back.

:EDIT:
No luck Sad I seem not to have the game anymore, and I can't find any screen with gems on the net... Well, to the hell with it, the gems are fine as they are.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:20:27 pm by Morbus » Logged

cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 28, 2008, 01:29:55 pm »

I remembered one other thing I wanted to mention. Why does the dialog screen show you gaining 2 sps followed by gaining 1sp? Was there a bonus skillpoint for making the dexterity check?

If there are often situations when you will be gaining skillpoints a couple of times in quick succession, I think it would be nice to have text like:

You gain 2 skillpoints for assassinating Gracius.
You gain 1 skillpoint for completely misusing a crossbow.

And hey, this would give you the chance to insert your trademark humor. You know as well as I do that AoD needs its own equivalent to MOTB's "XP granted for becoming the jarl of a clan of frost giants and immediately kicking everyone out of the clan."
jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 28, 2008, 01:40:16 pm »

Great idea, Cardtrick!
Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 28, 2008, 02:28:43 pm »

Quote from: Morbus
No luck Sad I seem not to have the game anymore, and I can't find any screen with gems on the net... Well, to the hell with it, the gems are fine as they are.

Pastel: "PS:T had rat diplomacy - although the buggers would betray you, I think. Rotten, filthy creatures."
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2008, 03:39:26 pm »

I still don't like that in AoD 11.jpg, the first two options are formatted the same way with no visual indication that the first is an action and the second is a spoken line.
I was going to fix that but something distracted me and I forgot.

I can imagine. Vince's internal monologue: "Now just one more thing, I gotta make this...is that a fly? Why is a fly in my house? You know what else is fly? That super cool hat I recently bought...". Your an embarrassment Vince.

It's nice.

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: January 28, 2008, 05:33:07 pm »

Quote from: Morbus

You are my angel. Will you marry me? <3

Jaime Lannister
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 28, 2008, 05:34:37 pm »

"Catch! Throw the guard your crossbow. As his attention switches to it, grab a bolt, holding it as a short dagger, and lunge at the guard’s throat."

Your verbs don't agree. Use:

"Catch! *Throw the guard your crossbow. As his attention turns to it, grab a bolt, hold it as a short dagger, and lunge at the guard’s throat.*"

Also "turns" would be a better verb than "switches" here.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2008, 05:53:58 pm »

"Catch! Throw the guard your crossbow. As his attention switches to it, grab a bolt, holding it as a short dagger, and lunge at the guard’s throat."

Your verbs don't agree. Use:

"Catch! *Throw the guard your crossbow. As his attention turns to it, grab a bolt, hold it as a short dagger, and lunge at the guard’s throat.*"

Also "turns" would be a better verb than "switches" here.

Huh? That's not a verb agreement issue. The phrase "holding it as a short dagger" is being used as a clause modifying "bolt," just as an adjective would. I do think your version sounds better, but Oscar's was fine. Anyway, didn't Vince already say he was going with Ghan's?
xenocide

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2008, 05:59:54 pm »

Usual minor nitpick: The numbers say it's 212 coins (or something), but you see only 3 of them.. I hope you decide to create some more coin images for the higher numbers. If i own 10.000 gold in late game it would be pretty lame to see that big stack of money depicted as the same 3 coins from the games beginning.

I am going to have to disagree here.  IMO the coin graphic they have is one of the best graphics I have seen, I love it.  If you add in more and more coins, you loose all the detail and that is what makes it so good.

By transfer it means both way transfer. You select stuff from your inventory and it gets dropped.

If I remember correctly, all loot avaliable is picked up via a "loot" button correct?  So, you are not clicking on an individual body.  With that in mind (and it will be while playing the game) the "transfer" button as is will be obviously a drop button as well.

When I look at it, I want to drag stuff around. Can I?

I also hope you can drag and drop.

The gems look good to me as is.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: