Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 570229 times)
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 27, 2008, 10:38:42 pm »

Very nice. I love it, and the room looks awesome. The magic of Oscar...and Nick...and Vince...and the other people...

Thanks for doing this. Hopefully the game can be released this year.

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 27, 2008, 10:43:33 pm »

Great!

This looks really nice, my only nitpick, is that your crossbow is inside the merchant while threatening him. Maybe you should move him back a half step.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:49:00 pm by zhirzzh » Logged
Priapist

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 27, 2008, 11:11:29 pm »

Very cool. What zhirzzh said is about my only criticism. On with the show!
Euchrid

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2008, 12:11:35 am »

Ditto with the last two posts. A good degree of choices and skill checks, with none seeming forced.  The rooms looks great by the way, and the dialogue is witty and lively.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2008, 02:36:35 am »

Okay. I've expressed some of my excitement . . . now onto the constructive criticism.

First, zhirzzh is definitely right about the crossbow. Of the things I'm going to talk about, that's the only one that really leapt out at me. The others I had to dig for. Smile

Also, if the player chose the intimidation option, then in the persuasion option you have him referring to and nodding towards an open chest. I think this would make more sense if you could see the chest in the dialog window. Can it be moved to be against the wall in the top right corner, next to that plant?

I still don't like that in AoD 11.jpg, the first two options are formatted the same way with no visual indication that the first is an action and the second is a spoken line. I know it will typically be clear from context, but if you're consistent about it then there's no possible ambiguity, and more importantly the consistency will mean the player will never have to think about it or notice it at all and can simply consider his options. I still vote for putting quotation marks around the second line, but it's your call. (Actually, speaking of ambiguity, I just noticed that in AoD 12.jpg, because of this inconsistency it's unclear whether "That was close . . ." was your character speaking aloud, or just the narration/internal monologue.)

Finally, I'm not thrilled with the transfer items screen. It's probably too late or just not worth the effort to change it now, but I was staring at it for a little while trying to figure out what was going on. I was confused by the gold and weight displays in the center of the screen, because with the glowing lines between the two inventories, which intersect the gold and weight displays, it seems intuitively that they must be measuring the gold value and weight of what you're transferring. So I was looking at the screen and thinking that the highlighted gladius must be worth 100 coins and weigh 11.5. I thought it was weird that your character could just know the value of the object (although this isn't too different from Fallout's barter screen, which may be why I interpreted this screen the way I did).

Anyway, looking more closely at the earlier screens, I saw that our character has 100 gold, so that display in the transfer screen must simply be showing our character's gold and the total weight of the objects in his inventory. Right? If so, I really don't understand why they're between those two glowing lines, which immediately draw all the attention to them and make them seem like the most important part of the screen.

This has been a lot of text, so here's my suggestion to deal with the inventory screen, if you and Oscar think it's worth it and others here agree. It's simple -- just switch the "Transfer" and "Take All" buttons with the gold and weight indicators. Then the screen would make perfect sense. The Transfer and Take All, which are the most important parts of this screen, would be highlighted in importance by the glowing lines. Moreover, the lines would suggest, graphically, that the Transfer and Take All will be working between the two inventories that the lines lead to (which is obvious, of course, but it's good when an interface is obvious). This also puts the gold and weight indicators closer to the description box, which makes sense functionally since they are all displays of information rather than interactive buttons. I think it's a simple change that makes a lot of sense. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:39:08 am by cardtrick » Logged
Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 28, 2008, 03:27:55 am »

Is there a personal magnetism option if I choose "I was paid to kill one..." like "run away while you can" with looting option without fighting with the guard?

Pastel: "PS:T had rat diplomacy - although the buggers would betray you, I think. Rotten, filthy creatures."
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 28, 2008, 04:16:51 am »

Looks great. The "catch" line still reads a little akward to me. How about:

[Dexterity] "Catch!". Toss the crossbow at the guard to distract him. Use a crossbow bolt as an improvised dagger and lunge for the guards throat.

And Cardtrick may have a point with regards to the interface, his solution seems sensible. Also I think headers over the inventories would be helpful. E.g. on the left "Guard" on the right "Your inventory"

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 28, 2008, 05:34:42 am »

This has been a lot of text, so here's my suggestion to deal with the inventory screen, if you and Oscar think it's worth it and others here agree. It's simple -- just switch the "Transfer" and "Take All" buttons with the gold and weight indicators. Then the screen would make perfect sense. The Transfer and Take All, which are the most important parts of this screen, would be highlighted in importance by the glowing lines. Moreover, the lines would suggest, graphically, that the Transfer and Take All will be working between the two inventories that the lines lead to (which is obvious, of course, but it's good when an interface is obvious). This also puts the gold and weight indicators closer to the description box, which makes sense functionally since they are all displays of information rather than interactive buttons. I think it's a simple change that makes a lot of sense. Thoughts?

Yes.

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2008, 06:35:06 am »

Looks great. The "catch" line still reads a little akward to me. How about:

[Dexterity] "Catch!". Toss the crossbow at the guard to distract him. Use a crossbow bolt as an improvised dagger and lunge for the guards throat.

And Cardtrick may have a point with regards to the interface, his solution seems sensible. Also I think headers over the inventories would be helpful. E.g. on the left "Guard" on the right "Your inventory"
Yeah, it could have been [Dexterity] Catch! *Toss the crossbow at the guard to distract him. Use a crossbow bolt as an improvised dagger and lunge for the guards throat*

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 28, 2008, 07:22:09 am »

Anyway, looking more closely at the earlier screens, I saw that our character has 100 gold, so that display in the transfer screen must simply be showing our character's gold and the total weight of the objects in his inventory. Right?

Character's gold, weight shows the result of: The weight of items in your inventory - the weight of items selected to remove from your inventory + the weight of items to be added to your inventory.

Any other thoughts on how it should look? The moment to change it is now Smile

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Euchrid

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 28, 2008, 07:30:51 am »

I think the original's fine, just slightly cumbersome, partly due to the double use of crossbow. Maybe condensing it to one sentence, reducing he use of guard and crossbow flows better?

Quote from: original
Catch! Throw the guard your crossbow. As his attention switches to the crossbow, grab a bolt, holding it as a short dagger, and lunge at the guard’s throat.

“Catch!” Toss your crossbow at the guard; while he's distracted, grab a bolt, holding it as a short dagger and lunge for his throat.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:58:16 am by Euchrid » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 28, 2008, 07:46:50 am »

I think the original's fine, just slightly cumbersome, partly due to the double use of crossbow. Maybe condensing it to one sentence, reducing he use of guard and crossbow flows better?

Quote from: original
Catch! Throw the guard your crossbow. As his attention switches to the crossbow, grab a bolt, holding it as a short dagger, and lunge at the guard’s throat.

“Catch!” Toss your crossbow at the guard; while he's distracted, grab a bolt, holding it as a short dagger, and lunge for his throat.

Or...

"Catch! Throw the guard your crossbow. As his attention switches to it, grab a bolt, holding it as a short dagger, and lunge at the guard’s throat."

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 28, 2008, 07:50:11 am »

Ghan's suggestion is the best. Will comment on the rest later.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 28, 2008, 09:20:20 am »

Also, if the player chose the intimidation option, then in the persuasion option you have him referring to and nodding towards an open chest. I think this would make more sense if you could see the chest in the dialog window. Can it be moved to be against the wall in the top right corner, next to that plant?
For you? Anything.

I still don't like that in AoD 11.jpg, the first two options are formatted the same way with no visual indication that the first is an action and the second is a spoken line.
I was going to fix that but something distracted me and I forgot.

...I just noticed that in AoD 12.jpg, because of this inconsistency it's unclear whether "That was close . . ." was your character speaking aloud, or just the narration/internal monologue
It's whatever you want it to be, sugar. Did you forget that it's teh role-playing gaem? Duh!

Finally, I'm not thrilled with the transfer items screen. ... It's simple -- just switch the "Transfer" and "Take All" buttons with the gold and weight indicators. Then the screen would make perfect sense.
That's actually a very good suggestion. At first I was going to laugh at it by furiously typing "U KNOW NOTHING! NOTHING!!!!", but unfortunately it makes a lot of sense, so I'll postpone my devastating attack until the next time.

So, while we are discussing the looting screen, is there anything else you guys want? Redoing 16 screens (different resolutions and buttons) is a lot of fun, so let's make sure we change things only once.

Edit: Anyway, let's talk about what's really important here. Is the blue gem awesome or what? And the coins?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:22:02 am by Oscar » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 28, 2008, 09:22:36 am »

For you? Anything.

Don't make promises you cannot keep Wink

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: