Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 562952 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2008, 12:07:33 pm »

Everyone's happy with shafts?

Regular shafts, Barbed shafts, Armor-piercing shafts, Poisoned barbed shafts, Hardened armor-piercing shafts...
luckyb0y
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2008, 12:39:30 pm »

Just to second cardtrick's suggestion about quest entries. He's right that you should be able to know all the information that you received getting the quest from reading the journal entry. I rarely have the time to play games and sometimes get beck to playing them after few weeks (or even months) break and it's really frustrating if I can't remember what the hell I was supposed to be doing anymore. I wouldn't call that handholding. Can you review the conversations that you had in game - that would be enough.

Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2008, 12:53:31 pm »

I'm in love with the item list in the journal. Have I mentioned that the rope icon is the best rope icon I've ever seen? Grin

(Speaking of journal entries, I was reading the Gothic 3 manual the other day and came across a section I really liked. It was a timeline of the major events that happened in the history of the world and in the previous Gothic games. I thought something like that could be a good addition to the AoD manual. I don't mean the events before the Fall but after it; how the power relations between the factions developed and how the world recovered from the apocalypse.)
puppyonastik
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2008, 02:20:34 pm »

Everyone's happy with shafts?

Your shaft looks fine to me, Vince. Ignore what the other men/women may say.

In all seriousness, I didn't pay much attention to the arrows past the heads, since that's all that matters. I guess you can darken up the shafts a bit to match the grittiness of the rest of the game. They look a bit too clean to me, but I like it dirty.  lol

Quote from: Mayday
Can a single dick even enter a group setting?
Quote from: Fez
You've never lived until you've tried it.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2008, 02:52:43 pm »

Those icons will be changed. Smile

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Isegrim
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2008, 04:05:08 pm »

No one else reacted to the spelling of "accesories" in the item list? It's missing an 's'.

About the old quest log screen: The the end of the description of the Imperial Guard quest "Not exactly what you've had in mind when you signed up, but it's a start". Ignoring the grammar the problem is that thoughts are put into the PC's mind without the player having any say, which robs the player of authorship. Maybe the player's PC just signed up for an opportunity to bash some skulls - who is the developer to say that that simply isn't the case?

Anyway. Looking good.
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2008, 04:08:31 pm »

Shafts sounds like a good substitute for ammo. Maybe you could call the arrows slash bolts "shafts with barbed heads" etc. or would that be too long? Just because my mind revolts slightly at the thought of "barbed shafts". In any case shaft is a much better term than ammo.

Also, I agree the comma doesn't really convey any useful information. My suggestion: "50%; DR-5" That should be clear enough for most players.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:10:30 pm by Claw » Logged
grisse
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2008, 06:51:03 pm »

About the old quest log screen: The the end of the description of the Imperial Guard quest "Not exactly what you've had in mind when you signed up, but it's a start". Ignoring the grammar the problem is that thoughts are put into the PC's mind without the player having any say, which robs the player of authorship. Maybe the player's PC just signed up for an opportunity to bash some skulls - who is the developer to say that that simply isn't the case?
I think "not exactly what you had in mind" is open enough to allow some authorship. Bashing some skulls isn't the same as dressing up, then bashing some innocent (as in they didn't strike first) skulls. A simple mercenary might not like political games and deceit, even brawlers have their code of honour.
And since the Imperial Guard's ultimate goal is restoration of the Empire to it's former glory, a raw recruit might believe that the way there will be glorious as well.

I don't need no makeup
I got real scars
I got hair on my chest
I look good without a shirt
Isegrim
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2008, 07:16:50 pm »

The fact remains though, that the text tells the player what his/her character thinks in a game where (unless I'm gravely mistaken) the player should be free to form his own character.
grisse
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2008, 07:49:26 pm »

The fact remains though, that the text tells the player what his/her character thinks in a game where (unless I'm gravely mistaken) the player should be free to form his own character.
I agree with you, the journal should be a collection of facts rather than a diary. That bit just seems rather minor and fitting (for most fresh mercenaries) to me.

I don't need no makeup
I got real scars
I got hair on my chest
I look good without a shirt
galsiah
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2008, 07:55:02 pm »

Perhaps the sentiment could be rephrased as fact - e.g. what you were told; what you were led to believe; that there was no mention of this sort of thing in the brochure....
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2008, 07:55:13 pm »

Mayhap change it to "Perhaps it's not exactly what you've had in mind when you signed up, but it's a start".

Keeps the flavor, but leaves the space for the possibility that it was exactly what you had in mind.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2008, 07:59:57 pm »

I agree that a game should never tell you what you think, feel, and want. Had it said "you're disappointed...", you would be 100% correct. "Not exactly what you had in mind" is a vague phrase that doesn't state what exactly you had in mind and how you feel at the moment. It could be anything from "Oh, noes, I'm killing innocent people!" to "Awesome! I get to pillage and plunder on my first day!"
Argence
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2008, 02:25:30 am »

Regular shafts, Barbed shafts, Armor-piercing shafts, Poisoned barbed shafts, Hardened armor-piercing shafts...

My god, it sounds like a Terry Goodkind novel...
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2008, 09:54:48 am »

It may sound confusing but what that means is your AP ammo won't do a lot of damage against unarmored opponents, but it will go through armor like a knife through butter. Basically, we added extra damage that will only be used against armor to reduce DR.
This doesn't make sense to me.  If I understand what you're saying, the purpose of armor-piercing bolts is to destroy armor?

I think that's what a javelin would do:  it would stick in a shield and make it unwieldy or tear through chainmail.  But a narrow headed bolt would presumably just stick like a pin in a pincushion and not be much of an inconvenience.  The physics of it suggest to me that bypassing the armor and dealing damage would be the point of a bolt.  This is why arrows are so devastating against heavily armored opponents after all.

Also the rope looks like a spaghetti noodle, at least at the resolution I'm seeing.  The shape is right, but it doesn't have any texture or hairiness.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:57:13 am by screeg » Logged

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Sin Slayers
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: