Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 552177 times)
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2008, 11:06:20 am »

Ha, okay, you win. It just struck me as wrong, but it seems I was mistaken. Sorry to have wasted your time.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2008, 11:13:10 am »

Not a big deal and your concern is really appreciated. As you know I'm not a native English speaker and it's my third language. However, I talk for a living so that provides me with endless examples, personality types, speech patterns, and phrases. The downside is that the way people talk isn't always correct, but at least I can write realistic dialogues.
Helian
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2008, 05:20:44 pm »

*snip*
You are right, of course. Anyway, it's not like I don't want the option to be there, I just thought a low-ranking guild member would be better advised to obey orders immediately, rather than being nosy - but that's an assumption, too, if a reasonable one...Not that I'd care too much at that point, better get the quest going!
Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2008, 07:08:46 pm »

*snip*
You are right, of course. Anyway, it's not like I don't want the option to be there, I just thought a low-ranking guild member would be better advised to obey orders immediately, rather than being nosy - but that's an assumption, too, if a reasonable one...Not that I'd care too much at that point, better get the quest going!

Perhaps behind the scenes, asking these questions (or not asking the questions) raises or lowers your rep with that group. Being nosey and asking why the target needs to be wasted may have just lowered our rep in the Assassin's guild..
Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2008, 07:21:59 pm »

On a separate note, I like the picture of our intrepid character and how he shoulders the crossbow when in discussion rather than it disappearing into a bag of holding.
Are there similar graphics for when the character carries other types of weapons?
Thanks. Smile
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2008, 07:28:13 pm »

Are there similar graphics for when the character carries other types of weapons?
Yep, chars are using shoulders to carry two-handed weapons, when not in combat.

"Oh, 'twould be marvelous if the world and its moral questions were like some game board, with plain black players and white, and fixed rules, and nary a shade of grey."
The Black Company. Shadows Linger.

"But is the best good enough?"
(c) Oscar
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2008, 07:28:55 pm »

Nope. Nothing that fancy. The questions answer the player's own questions about the setting and events his character is participating in. Throwing a generic NPC that must be killed is less interesting than providing some reasons and explanations, no matter how brief.

I tried to keep it believable, building this exchange not as an interrogation/interview but as a casual shit-shooting conversation. The answers aren't direct and specific, spelling everything out and breaking your immersion. They do give you enough information though:

1. First and foremost, they tell you as Section8 once said "The fact that the whole mini-story revolves around the killing of a man posing a minor economic threat is a great way to illustrate that this isn't fantasy where knights and paladins ponce about on the side of good."

2. Explain that the merchants guild controls all trade, killing independent traders.

3. Mention that the assassins guild is an "honest business" which also tells you something about the setting.
zhirzzh

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2008, 08:43:39 pm »

As others have said, have you thought about removing data mining options after they've been asked?
TheLostOne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2008, 11:17:08 am »

I agree about nuking the face.  What about the face used on the seal of the AoD logo?  Just don't reuse the actual logo.  I hate seeing the name of the game in interfaces and such.  Immersion barrier.

Need something there though or you've got too much empty space.
Yellow
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2008, 01:43:58 pm »

RELEASE THE DAMN GAME

Have you ever laid in your bed, looked up at the stars and wondered - where did my roof go?
Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2008, 01:45:57 pm »

Thanks for the replies Nick and Vince and good to know our hero is in the honest business! Smile
How honest we keep him will soon (I hope) be seen.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2008, 01:56:02 pm »

RELEASE THE DAMN GAME
We are slowly getting there.
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2008, 08:04:37 pm »

What about the face used on the seal of the AoD logo?
Hey, that's a great idea. Isn't the logo based on a coin? Maybe that'd work there, add some colour too.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2008, 09:48:50 pm »

So, what was I supposed to do again? Let's check the journal!

[attachment deleted to save space]
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2008, 09:52:53 pm »

While we are looking at the journal, let's see what else is there... A map!

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:59:16 pm by Vince » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: