Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 562100 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2008, 06:40:03 pm »

So, after a long waiting period our brave hero has finally met his guildmaster. Instead of saying "halo brave adaventurer! plz taek some itamz from my chest and equip them!", the guildmaster pretended that you and him are old pals and jumped straight to business. Looks like you have to bust a cap in someone's ass, assuming, of course, that you are a straight up nigga.

So, what will you do now?!

PS. That face on the interface bugs the hell out of me for some reasons. I know it's very Roman, but can we replace it with something, Oscar?

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:44:47 pm by Vince » Logged
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2008, 06:45:13 pm »

Number 2.

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2008, 06:50:32 pm »

Mallrats: "Suitor number two sounds like a bathroom code, you know."

Anyway, staying true to the traditions established by the RPG pioneer Bioware, this option leads to:

"It's not the best contract, but considering that the merchant isn't guarded, it's a good deal. Take it. Think of it as a good exercise."

1. I'll be back for the balance in a few hours.
2. He's just arrived and someone wants him dead already?
3. Why does someone want him dead?

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2008, 06:50:51 pm »

PS. That face on the interface bugs the hell out of me for some reasons. I know it's very Roman, but can we replace it something, Oscar?

What do you think guys? I like the face.

PS: Sorry for derailing. If it turns into a debate, we´ll move it to it´s own thread. Smile

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2008, 06:54:19 pm »

The face is ok, that hairy outline is kinda dorky looking. So instead of:
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/in-thefootsteps-bibletrans/Graphics%204/mouthoftruth.jpg

let's go with something like:

http://www.italiangardenornaments.com/ornaments/ART.MS-13.JPG
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »

I'm fine with it and without it. I really don't care.

Number 2.

puppyonastik
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2008, 07:56:26 pm »

#3. A little more info always helps.

Quote from: Mayday
Can a single dick even enter a group setting?
Quote from: Fez
You've never lived until you've tried it.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2008, 08:44:05 pm »

Why does someone want him dead?

Does a bartender ask why his client wants wine? Teron is a small town, and it's very hard for an assassin guild to stay in business here. We appreciate every contract that comes our way, so let's leave it at that.

1. I'll be back for the balance in a few hours.
2. 200? Doesn't sound like a lot.
3. He's just arrived and someone wants him dead already?

galsiah
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2008, 09:00:05 pm »

(Do you get "2. 200? Doesn't sound like a lot." even after having asked it once? Wouldn't it be better to have that as a one-time-only question? Is there a way to review conversations? Presuming that there is, such redundant repetitions would probably be better eliminated - if it's easy to do.)
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2008, 09:20:16 pm »

Number 3.

Rhett Butler
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2008, 09:56:38 pm »

Number three then number 1.

"My dear I don't give a damn."
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2008, 11:20:18 pm »

The line
Quote from: Neleos
Commercium requested us to tell Gracius "The merchants guild wishes to remind you that you're *still* not welcome in this town" before you kill him
looks pretty awkward to me, for two reasons. First, "requested us to tell Gracius" is simply incorrect grammar -- "us" is the first person plural pronoun used as an object, and can't be used as the subject of the verb "tell." Second, I don't like using *'s for emphasis. It looks like netspeak or forum talk, and seems out of place for a game. Does your engine not support italics? I would like this line much better if it read

Quote from: cardtrick's idealized Neleos #1
Before you kill Gracius, the Commercium requests that you tell him, "The merchants guild wishes to remind you that you're still not welcome in this town."
or
Quote from: cardtrick's idealized Neleos #2
The Commercium has a special request for you. Before you kill him, remind him that the merchants guild says he's still not welcome in this town.

Oh, and let's go for option 1. Our assassin is a no-nonsense badass, and all he needs to know is that he's getting paid.

EDIT: To clarify, I know that *'s have been used in games before. I'm just saying I don't like them. And I don't care one way or another about the face, by the way.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:30:36 pm by cardtrick » Logged
pnutz
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2008, 11:36:30 pm »

#1. I'm an assassin dammit. I don't need any extrapolation about my mark that doesn't involve how to kill him more easily. On to the slaughter.

And I like the face better than a bust, but if you're going to have a graphic right there on every conversation, it would be nice to rotate it through several different pix (face, bust, wolf, eagle, phallus, etc.)
galsiah
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2008, 12:08:32 am »

First, "requested us to tell Gracius" is simply incorrect grammar -- "us" is...
First, correct or not, it's something people say. It's not jarring, and it's not out of place (if this were a loremaster's dialogue it might be, but it isn't).
Second, is it incorrect? It's *not* being used as the subject of "to tell", since "to tell" is an infinitive here. Your argument would work against "requested us tell Gracius", not against "requested us to tell Gracius", surely.
"...requested that we tell Gracius" would work too, but it's more of a loremaster's/diplomat's phrasing than an assassin's.

Quote from: cardtrick's idealized Neleos #1
Before you kill Gracius, the Commercium requests that you tell him, "The merchants guild wishes to remind you that you're still not welcome in this town."
Since we're being picky, this is just factually incorrect: did the Commercium specifically request that the PC tell him? No.

Quote from: cardtrick's idealized Neleos #2
The Commercium has a special request for you. Before you kill him, remind him that the merchants guild says he's still not welcome in this town.
Again - they don't. The Commercium commissioned the guild, not the PC.

EDIT: To clarify, I know that *'s have been used...
But do you *know* it?
EDIT: I think I agree here though. The *'s worked well for Dak'kon's *know*s in PS:T, since they marked them out as something unique. I think I'd prefer *'s used in this type of situation - where you're supposed to take particular, conscious notice of the emphasis. When it's just everyday emphasis for effect, I'd probably rather see italics.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:16:22 am by galsiah » Logged
Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2008, 12:22:36 am »

#1 - we can always ask the target questions before we off him.
Regarding the face, perhaps combine the bust into the background would be good.

Glad to see our neophyte assassin finally out and about. Smile

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: