Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742795 times)
Priapist

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2008, 05:22:12 am »

Dodgeballs. Wink
jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2008, 05:23:50 am »

Tongue

Does a high disguise skill grant you a set of clothes or a ring or something?
Rhett Butler
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2008, 08:33:06 am »

MAKE WITH THE PLAYING BEFORE I BURST A VEIN IN MY PENIS!

"My dear I don't give a damn."
Hümmelgümpf der Bruzzelzwerg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2008, 08:37:03 am »

Your aphatmc~ fu is weak, Rhett.

This is the story of one man's emotional journey through things good and ill, the things that make life worth living, the tears and dessert of existence – that is, it was until receiving feedback from focus groups, money men, their yes men and the mystics of marketing, and so now it's about a magic baseball player dating a stripper with a heart of gold who gradually unlocks his ultimate power with the help of an "urban" robot during their quest to defeat an evil samurai sword wielding
TheLostOne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2008, 08:58:39 am »

Where/how is ammo equipped?  I didn't see a slot for it.

Is there a quiver visible on the character model when you have ammo equipped?

Also, the piercing arrow looks great.  The regular and barbed look a bit too similar IMO, and the head seems much too large for the shaft.  It took me a second look to notice that the icons were just close ups of the head of the ammo and on first glance they appear to be hideously large bolts, and even on second inspection when I noticed the fade out, the mental after image of the goofy looking bolts I'd seen at first remained.

I'd suggest showing the whole shaft, but since ammo is universal they would either appear to be oversized bolts or dwarfed arrows.  Maybe you can think of a way to define the fade more to make it more visually apparant that they are partial images.

Either way, I still believe the barbed and normal heads should be slightly more narrow considering the width of the shaft.
Rhett Butler
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2008, 09:05:54 am »

Quote from: Lestat
Your aphatmc~ fu is weak, Rhett.

It's unfair of you to hold me to the same standard as grandmaster aphatmc~. However, the comparison alone is flattering.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Really snazzy feature! I'll leave now until I have something slightly useful to say.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2008, 09:32:45 am »

Where/how is ammo equipped?  I didn't see a slot for it.
You don't equip it. Same mechanics as with Fallout ammo. You shoot, then you click reload (you have options for different ammo type), then you shoot again, then you reload, etc. Bows are slow to shoot, fast to reload. Crossbows are fast to shoot, slow to reload.

Is there a quiver visible on the character model when you have ammo equipped?
Nope.

Either way, I still believe the barbed and normal heads should be slightly more narrow considering the width of the shaft.
We'll consider it.

Oh, and Lestat, thanks for fighting that epic battle at ag.ru against the "they are standing still while I attack them! what kinda nonsense is that?!" hordes.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2008, 09:37:30 am »

I get that a char with high sword skill gets a sword as a starting point, but what about the more passive skills like dodge?
No clue. What would you suggest?

How about a scroll on dodging techniques you already know initiating a small quest to trade it for a scroll on dodging techniques you don't know (+5 to dodge?)? You can also sell it for 100 coins.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2008, 10:29:08 am »

I'm looking at the Claw's avatar at the moment and a question is rising. Judging by that image, you can dual wield two hand crossbows in AoD, right? Is it possible to dual wield a dagger and a crossbow, like Assassins in HoMM V do? Being able to shoot stuff while maintaining some edge at melee would be an excellent combat option for finesse-oriented characters.

Sure, you can equip a dagger in one slot and an one-handed crossbow in another, and switch between them with no AP cost.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
TheLostOne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2008, 10:58:59 am »

How about a scroll on dodging techniques you already know initiating a small quest to trade it for a scroll on dodging techniques you don't know (+5 to dodge?)? You can also sell it for 100 coins.

Ooh like the Buddha's Palm from Heaven technique manual from Kung Fu Hustle.

Seriously though, would there really be scrolls on dodging?  Maybe, but it sounds a bit silly to me.

You don't need items for every skill, just stuff to make sure your skills are functional.  Dodge is functional without any items.  Sword skill is not.  Alchemy is not.  Critical strike is.

If you want something for any top combination of skills anyway here are some suggestions:

Weapon skills are obvious.  Block gets a shield.  Critical strike could get a modified basic weapon (with a keen type attribute or maybe just high accuracy lower damage).  

Disguise could start with a beggars rags in their inventory or something simpler like dye for the hair.  Further tools could be purchaced/found.  I like the idea of a signet ring like someone mentioned.

Lore doesn't need much since it's just knowledge, but maybe start with a history book or a book about the starting city.  Edit:  Writing utensils/parchment or more starting map info also possible

Alchemy, traps, crafting get basic components and maybe a basic level creation (weak poison/trap or something).

Sneaking, maybe a dark cloak which gives a bonus to sneaking (would suggest at night only, but not sure if day/night is in game)

Etiquette could get a fancy ring or amulet that increases reaction with noble houses and merchants?  Dunno probably better ideas out there.

Trading could get a list of merchants in the area or a note to a specific one for a discount or something.

Streetwise similarly could start with a list of locations for hard to find yet useful npcs or maybe a shady dealer type.

Persuasion... um... something quest related, or some bonus reaction eq?  Not sure about this one.

Dodge eludes me(lulz), but maybe some armor that's exceptionally light?

Stealing should start with some extra gold and/or misc pinched valuables (silver candle holders or a necklace or something) and maybe a known location for a fence.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:01:40 am by TheLostOne » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2008, 11:06:59 am »

Seriously though, would there really be scrolls on dodging?  Maybe, but it sounds a bit silly to me.
Why? Are there no good books on martial arts?
TheLostOne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2008, 11:14:19 am »

Yes, but how many techniques for dodging can there be?  How different can Volume 1 of beginners dodging be from Volume 6?  If you have books for technique they'd need to boost more than one skill, maybe a good boost to dodge, a small one to critical strike and 1 point bumps for all the melee weapon skills?  If it describes things like focus, or controlled breathing, or exercise techniques to increase reflexes then it would have an effect on all of your physical skills.  I just can't imagine a book or scroll just to improve dodging though.  "Don't be where your oponent is swinging"?
galsiah
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2008, 11:29:37 am »

"Don't be where your oponent is swinging"?
That's the goal - not the technique to achieve it. You might as well say that there can only be one short book on attacking: "Hit your opponent".
Even without any specific knowledge on dodging, it's clear that it'd involve prediction+anticipation, weight-distribution & balance, disguise+misdirection. Prediction and anticipation in particular would rely on a wide knowledge of potential+likely opponent strategies - something it'd be possible to write many books about.

Quote from: Vince
initiating a small quest to trade it for a scroll on dodging techniques you don't know
Sounds good - but it'd be nice to have more than a simple fed-ex quest (or have it be very quick). Time a player spends on this quest is time he'll be spending away from other quests. If it's significantly less interesting, that might not be a good thing.

I like the items-for-high-skills approach in general. It'd be good to see as much variety as possible, but you could always fall back on extra gold if you're short of time/ideas (not ideal, but reasonable). The rationale being that highly skilled people still don't get stuff for free - they've bought it over time because it was useful to them. Those who have skills without such items would have saved the money.
Again, this would be a backup to avoid thinking "We can't have items for all skills, so let's scrap the items-for-skills idea.". Go for as much interesting variety as possible - with small quests thrown in where they can be made short+sweet. Gold (or similar) is a perfectly viable backup though.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2008, 11:43:35 am »

Yes, but how many techniques for dodging can there be?  How different can Volume 1 of beginners dodging be from Volume 6? ...  I just can't imagine a book or scroll just to improve dodging though.  "Don't be where your oponent is swinging"?
http://maintlfed.org/resources/movement.html - courtesy of Google

A detailed description of each technique is as follows:

1. STEP DODGE - KAISHIN

a. A Step Dodge is a movement technique in which the Ju-Jitsuka avoids an attack by moving one foot in order to avoid the attackers assault. The technique may be executed in two methods:
b. Method #1, Move one foot in a circular manner to the rear so as to turn the upper body to the side and avoid the initial attack.
c. Method #2, Step forward diagonally to the side with one foot and turn the body towards the attacker.

2. SIDE DODGE - YOKO FURIMI

A Side Dodge is a technique which moves only the upper body to the side without moving the feet. This movement technique is designed to avoid the attacker's punch, kick or strike toward the head. The hands must continue to provide center-line coverage to allow for blocking and quick counterattack.

3. BACKWARD DODGE - SORIMI

A Backward Dodge is a movement technique of shifting the body weight to the rear leg and leaning the upper body backward, without moving the feet to avoid the attacker's punch, kick or strike to the upper body.

Ju-Jitsuka's balance must be maintained to facilitate kick counterattacks.

4. PULL-IN DODGE - HIKIMI

A Pull-In Dodge is a movement technique shifting the weight to the rear, however only the middle part of the body is retracted, not the entire body in order to avoid the attacker's kick and/or punch to the stomach. The hands must continue to provide center-line coverage to allow for blocking and quick counterattack.

5. CIRCULAR DODGE - RYUSUI

A Circular Dodge is a movement technique in which the feet do not move, however the body drops and moves to the side in a circular manner to avoid the attacker's punch, kick or strike to the upper body. The arms are positioned to block any kicks by the attacker.

6. JUMPING RETREAT - TOBI SAGARI

A Jumping Retreat is a movement technique in which the Ju-Jitsuka must exercise extreme alertness to the potential attack. At the moment that the attacker begins his forward motion assault, the Ju-Jitsuka executes a jump to the rear to avoid the initial attack. Upon landing from the jump, the Ju-Jitsuka must maintain body weight balance in order to execute a counterattack.

7. SLIDING RETREAT - HIRAKI SAGARI

A Sliding Retreat is a movement technique similar to the jumping retreat except that the feet slide along the ground. Timing, proper distance and the ability to execute a counterattack are equally important when using this technique.

8. FULL-TURN DODGE - ZEN TENKAN

A Full-Turn Dodge is a movement technique used when in close quarters with the attacker. The Ju-Jitsuka quickly moves one foot in a circular manner (180 degrees) while pivoting on the other foot as the attacker grasps or thrusts toward the upper body. This movement technique can be used as a set-up for a throw (Nage Waza) or to avoid a choke or grab by the attacker.

9. HALF-TURN DODGE - HON TENKAN

A Half-Turn Dodge is a movement technique used to protect the "Vital Points" of the body. One foot moves in a circular manner (90 degrees) while pivoting on the other foot as the attacker punches kicks or grabs. A blocking technique should be executed during the dodge. After the Half-Turn Dodge is executed, the Ju-Jitsuka is in good position to counterattack.

Point made?

Rhett Butler
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2008, 11:47:04 am »

I agree with TLW, a scroll on dodging seems a little silly. A good solution is  to not have the scroll be about dodging rather a work of fiction or history. The PC reads this scroll and gains some insight that makes them a better dodger. Merging the skill books with the lore worked great in Morrowind IMO.

EDIT: Okay so what Vince is suggesting doesn't sound silly, but Morrowind's skill books are fabulous, and it's still a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:49:41 am by Rhett Butler » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: