Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742817 times)
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2008, 08:34:07 pm »

I also think that we should assign items to skills, and generate items based on the top 5 skills. So, high sword, block, throwing, crafting, trade, for example, would give you a gladius, shield, 10 throwing knives, iron ore, and extra money. What do you think?
I think that's a great idea. I wish Eschalon had done that. I can't quite get over the fact that a Healer starts with a spell that brutally kills living things rather than a healing spell.

Also, it can be annoying if your equpiment doesn't support your choice of skills. I'm not sure how well that'll work though, since the starting skills are largely based on the attributes. Is there some kind of profession bonus like Merchants get +10 trade skill? A combination of profession-based and skill-based items may work best.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2008, 08:44:55 pm »

not so nifty looking (Oscar, can you pretty it up a bit?) hood thingy

Don´t be such a graphics whore Wink

I´ll make it smaller, though. It´s too big compared to the armor.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2008, 09:05:39 pm »

I also think that we should assign items to skills, and generate items based on the top 5 skills. So, high sword, block, throwing, crafting, trade, for example, would give you a gladius, shield, 10 throwing knives, iron ore, and extra money. What do you think?

Yep, great idea. I love a good complex character creation process, so having to think about what items your initial skill choices will give you is a positive thing in my book.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2008, 09:07:52 pm »

not so nifty looking (Oscar, can you pretty it up a bit?) hood thingy

Don´t be such a graphics whore Wink

I´ll make it smaller, though. It´s too big compared to the armor.

I think if you just changed the texture to be the same as the black sleeves of the vest it would be a big improvement.

Also, there's a typo in the description of those bolts -- one of the vs's has a period after it, and the other doesn't.

EDIT: Also, I was just looking at that inventory screen shot. What is a "belt bag" and what purpose does it serve considering that your inventory is abstracted and floats nebulously around you anyway?

And what do cloaks look like on characters? Are they animated (billowing, rippling, etc.)?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:11:49 pm by cardtrick » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2008, 09:14:30 pm »

I think if you just changed the texture to be the same as the black sleeves of the vest it would be a big improvement.

Without going into details, it´s not as easy as that. Smile

cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2008, 09:31:32 pm »

Heh, fair enough. Still, couldn't you just strongly desaturate the texture, leaving it mostly black/gray with a bit of a brown tinge? Forgive me if I'm speaking nonsense; all my graphics experience comes from 2-D web design. All I'm saying is, I think it would look better in black.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2008, 09:39:42 pm »

Well, there are two types of hoods: Black and brown. And four color combinations of leather armor Smile

EDIT: I´ve made the hood smaller. What do you think?

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:43:04 pm by Oscar » Logged

cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2008, 09:42:12 pm »

Ignore everything I've just said then.  Tongue Nice armors.
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2008, 10:43:07 pm »

I like the idea(and figured something of the kind was already in the game) but I think it should be top 3, choosing ties alphabetically. So, Titus top 3 would be: Dodge, Crossbow, and Bow(Since out of all the 32's, this one comes first alphabetically). The reason I like 3 more then 5 is because you want to make the game as hard as you possibly can without making it impossible. I think 5 is too much, and might give the player too much edge in the early game. You want to leave something to use that 100 up early on...

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
Priapist

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2008, 11:01:57 pm »

Well, you could always have varying degrees, so the top 3 get a "primary" item, and the top 4-5 get something less. Or if it was worth the effort, you could have 5 different degrees for each skill.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2008, 11:15:06 pm »

EDIT: Also, I was just looking at that inventory screen shot. What is a "belt bag" and what purpose does it serve considering that your inventory is abstracted and floats nebulously around you anyway?
Easy access to handy things: rope, lockpicks, medkit, etc.

And what do cloaks look like on characters? Are they animated (billowing, rippling, etc.)?
They aren't shown. They are for role-playing purposes (disguise, showing everyone who you are with and getting proper reaction, etc).
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2008, 11:21:36 pm »

Well, there are two types of hoods: Black and brown. And four color combinations of leather armor Smile

I can't view your stupid png attachments.  Angry

Wait, are you telling me those thumbnail-sized images are all there is? You gotta be kidding.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:25:05 pm by Claw » Logged
Priapist

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2008, 03:52:00 am »

I can't view your stupid png attachments.  Angry

Wait, are you telling me those thumbnail-sized images are all there is? You gotta be kidding.

I'd hazard a guess that those are actual gear icons from the game, hence the smallness.
Hümmelgümpf der Bruzzelzwerg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2008, 04:02:35 am »

I'm looking at the Claw's avatar at the moment and a question is rising. Judging by that image, you can dual wield two hand crossbows in AoD, right? Is it possible to dual wield a dagger and a crossbow, like Assassins in HoMM V do? Being able to shoot stuff while maintaining some edge at melee would be an excellent combat option for finesse-oriented characters.

This is the story of one man's emotional journey through things good and ill, the things that make life worth living, the tears and dessert of existence – that is, it was until receiving feedback from focus groups, money men, their yes men and the mystics of marketing, and so now it's about a magic baseball player dating a stripper with a heart of gold who gradually unlocks his ultimate power with the help of an "urban" robot during their quest to defeat an evil samurai sword wielding
jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2008, 04:37:06 am »

I get that a char with high sword skill gets a sword as a starting point, but what about the more passive skills like dodge?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: