Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 742787 times)
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: April 14, 2008, 07:24:14 am »

The second part is now available at RPG Watch!

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:13 pm »

Quote from: VDweller
I kind of assumed that there was no interest (for many reasons, including the spoiling nature of the articles), considering the low response, but if that's not the case, I can have the next article ready in a few days. (Ref)

This makes me sad. Sad I'm sure many people were thankful for you cutting out the crap and reducing it to the facts. Please finish it.

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 13, 2008, 01:21:10 pm »

Quote from: VDweller
I kind of assumed that there was no interest (for many reasons, including the spoiling nature of the articles), considering the low response, but if that's not the case, I can have the next article ready in a few days. (Ref)

This makes me sad. Sad I'm sure many people were thankful for you cutting out the crap and reducing it to the facts. Please finish it.

Agreed !
While this bible is very interesting and should be read by ANY REAL RPG developer some people won't find the time to read it.
Zaij
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 17, 2008, 01:27:05 pm »

I think I've finally found the game I've been looking for for some time. I'd also like you to continue the play through.
Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 17, 2008, 09:03:23 pm »

Totally agree VD! This is a great way to show the game to the masses. I have emailed links to the RPGWatch articles to some old gaming friends and more - good feedback so far.
Smile
FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 17, 2008, 09:12:29 pm »

I concur with the previous posters; continuing the Let's Play is a great idea for PR and beta-style testing, if (and ONLY if) any and all portions showcased do not compromise important aspects of the game world, quest(s), and/or storyline... that is to say, please, avoid spoilers if at all possible.

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm." - Samuel L. Clemens
Granite
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 22, 2008, 09:47:28 pm »

I agree, the Let's Play should continue.

Huh?
What! I require a personalised avatar!
Why does only Jedi_Learner can have one?  Angry

@Jedi_Learner, Happy Birthday To You!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:01:02 pm by Granite » Logged
Ashery
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 27, 2008, 03:34:14 am »

Did you guys ever figure out the final mechanics for the AP arrows and such? The point was raised a while back, but I don't recall it being discussed in detail (Although my memory could be fuzzy...considering I read 58pages today, heh). Would love to play around a bit with'em...

(This could be thrown into a separate topic, but meh...If a discussion starts we can move it).
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:47 am »

Sure, why not.

Here is the original discussion:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20039

Originally we treated ammo as weapons and bows/crossbows as modifiers. Now we are using the opposite system.

So, let's use long bow as an example. Long bows have 3-12 damage range for normal attacks (i.e. not fast, power, or aimed). Regular ammo doesn't modify this range at all. We can say that 3-12 is the damage range for the regular arrows.

Barbed arrows cause more damage against low armored opponents, but are useless against heavily armored targets. Armor piercing arrows cause less damage but they are very effective against armor. Regular arrows are somewhere in between.

Code:
3-12 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Reg 3-12 2-12 1-11 0-10 0-9 0-8 0-7 0-6 0-5 0-4 0-3 0-2 0-1
Brb 6-18 5-17 4-16 3-15 2-14 0-3 0-2 0-1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0
AP 2-10 1-9 1-9 1-8 1-8 1-7 1-7 1-6 1-6 1-5 1-5 1-4 1-4
FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 29, 2008, 01:51:25 pm »

Wouldn't you say that's an unrealistically sharp decline in the effectiveness of barbed arrows? I mean, the maximum drops from 14 to 3 instantly. It seems very... I don't know, abrupt, maybe? If there's a mechanical or balance-based reason behind this, by all means, ignore me, but it just stood out to me.

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm." - Samuel L. Clemens
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 29, 2008, 02:26:34 pm »

Well, logically, a barbed arrow would have a very, very low penetrative power against medium and heavy armor, which is what DR 5-12 represents. While it can tear flesh to shreds and be effective against leather or light metal armor, it should be practically useless against solid metal.
FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 29, 2008, 05:10:18 pm »

I understand that, but is the difference between DR 4 and 5 basically a jump from cloth/leather/lamellar to solid metal, or is there a more subtle distinction that would still, for some separate and (to me) unknown reason, otherwise necessitate such a precipitous decline in effectiveness?

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 29, 2008, 05:19:25 pm »

From a realistic "DR went up by one point and now my arrows of painful death are useless" point of view, the system indeed doesn't make a lot of sense. From a more abstract "barbed arrows are practically useless against medium-heavy armor, which is represented numerically" point of view the system works. If someone wants to offer a more intuitive system, we'd be happy to consider.
FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 29, 2008, 05:22:53 pm »

I didn't mean to insinuate that I had a better system in mind, mostly because I don't (and most likely couldn't, owing to my general moronicity); I merely wanted to ensure that such a system made sense in gameplay terms. Since it does, I'll be going back to hankering on your every word and following you blindly into the sea like the Israelites after Moses if God had decided to be an even bigger prick than he had shown himself to be prior to him finally getting laid.

Ashery
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 30, 2008, 12:58:35 am »

Looking over that...is there any reason not to use AP arrows? You sacrifice at most 1-3 damage but never have to worry about suddenly coming upon heavy armored troops. In other words, you're sacrificing about 20% of your effectiveness against light armor and gaining several times that against heavily armored troops...

I'd agree with a couple others that barbed arrows drop off a bit too sharply...Will play around with the numbers a bit and see what I can come up with...

Edit:

What I'd also like to see is the standard arrow showing a minor advantage over a couple DR values towards the center. Otherwise there'll be pretty much no reason not to carry just Barbed and AP...

How about the following: Minor changes on modifiers due to other weapons having a different damage range and how the game rounds will probably be needed.

Barbed: 1.67(Dam) - 3(DR) [Would be ideal to calculate the upper and lower bounds separately...Lower would likely be between 1.5 and 2, upper at 3]
AP: .66(Dam) - 0.3(DR) [Obviously taking the maximum of that value and 1 to keep the 1 through x range]

3-12    0        1       2        3       4      5      6      7      8      9     10     11    12
Reg   3-12   2-12   1-11   0-10   0-9   0-8   0-7   0-6   0-5   0-4   0-3   0-2   0-1
Brb   5-20   2-17   0-14   0-11   0-8   0-5   0-2   0-0   0-0   0-0   0-0   0-0   0-0
AP    2-8     1-7     1-7     1-7    1-6   1-6   1-6   1-5   1-5   1-5   1-4   1-4   1-4

This gives barbed arrows a significant advantage over very light armors, decreasing as you reach the middle range when the standard arrow takes over with a very minor advantage (although some would say disadvantage as the expected values for 0-5 and 1-4 are the same, but 1-4 guarntees at least some damage) for the medium armors. AP arrows bring up the rear with a slowly increasing advantage once you get to the heavier medium armors.

This was just a quickie...Definitely need to split up the barbed DR modifier to affect the upper and lower bounds separately. If this can't be done easily, there should be a work around by having the game take the maximum of two values/functions ala AP.

Second edit:

Actually, I'd separate the lower and upper bounds for all three...Reduce the lower bound at 66% the rate of the upper. Although the exact value there depends, again, on how the game rounds its values...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:30:47 am by Ashery » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: