Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's play AoD!  (Read 558253 times)
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: March 14, 2008, 07:19:44 pm »

Why don't we just go do the Assassin's guild quest? Isn't that what our profession is (or has been up to this point)? This map thing is just a curiosity.
ninjelephant
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 14, 2008, 07:28:46 pm »

Why don't we just go do the Assassin's guild quest? Isn't that what our profession is (or has been up to this point)? This map thing is just a curiosity.

From FAQ:
"The game starts trivially in a small town. Purely by chance, you acquire an ancient map bearing a long forgotten seal."

I used to do drugs..
I still do, but I used to too.
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 14, 2008, 08:00:15 pm »

From FAQ:
"The game starts trivially in a small town. Purely by chance, you acquire an ancient map bearing a long forgotten seal."

I'm aware of that. I just don't see why our character would make this map his #1 priority at this point.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 14, 2008, 08:06:08 pm »

Quick and easy money. Or so it seems.
jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 15, 2008, 04:48:38 am »

Everybody loves sekrit anshunt maps.
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 15, 2008, 06:20:17 am »

and seals!
Azael
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 15, 2008, 06:31:46 am »

Go to Lord Antidas. Feng isn't our friend at the moment and we have no real reason to do his bidding without at least surveying the field first. Besides, getting a audience with the local power is a good thing, who knows what opportunities for debauchery and devious deeds this might lead to?

Otherwise, just go with the assassin quest, we are professionals after all.

Ceterum censeo Bethesda esse delendam
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 15, 2008, 11:16:12 am »

Before we go, we have 5 skill points to distribute. Would you like to improve your skills now? To remind you where we were, here is the last character screen:

[attachment deleted to save space]
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 15, 2008, 11:29:08 am »

I vote for putting them into a social skill, but I'm torn between etiquette and streetwise; both seem appropriate for an assassin. I always like to get my social skills to a decent level fairly early in an RPG, before I meet too many people.
Dr.Strangelove
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 15, 2008, 11:31:55 am »

Bringing up a life-and-death matter as if it's of little consequence could be an oratorical strategy.  If you're about to negotiate a price for an assassination, the last thing you want to do is start weeping about how your life would be ruined by the competition and how you'll do absolutely anything to off this guy.
Exactly. It's a sales thing. You can never show how important something is to you when you negotiate. If someone smells a strong interest, you'll pay through the nose (which is what the trading line is for - it shows that you understand what is at stake, and it gets you the most money).

That oratorical strategy would be naive and counter-productive. The effort of the employee is more often than not proportional to expectations of the employer.
It's not an employee-employer relationship. It's a buyer-seller relationship, which has very different rules.

Trivializing an important issue leads to inadequate solutions. Anyway, Feng's dissimulation is not credible as what is in stake for him is obvious to the PC by the nature and object of the task assigned. He should be smarter.
In what way?
It's more outsourcing a project to the PC than buying-selling. The project (getting rid of Cassius) is a process and has a cost-benefit issue. In in this case the benefit for Feng is his career, so his main focus should be the success of the project and secondarily the cost. The PC is told than another Loremaster is summoned by Feng's employer. This means that there's increased workload for Loremasters, or that the employer is dissatisfied with Feng. Since Feng wants Cassius to disappear, the PC understands that Feng is to be fired and won't "buy" his "small matter" attitude thrown at the end of the conversation.
About cost: Feng is a greedy and informed bastard and knows what the Assassin's Guild standard fee is. But this,by no means, is a standard murder as the subject is under Lord Antidas protection. Cassius's death would piss him off and an investigation would be guaranteed. Antidas has the power to press the Assasin's Guild or to bribe an insider to reveal the commissioner.
What would be in Feng's mind, if he's smart, is not the price but the implications: He must not be linked to the assasination. There are some solutions: Getting rid of Cassius in another way, having the assassination look like an accident and hirind a capable assassin independently of the Assassin's Guild for more secrecy. These issues should be addressed before price and be reflected on Feng's conduct. His primary concern should be that the PC does a clean job. He must investigate the PC's capabilities and be interested on how the problem will be dealt.
What can be done:
To be a true dissimulator, Feng should not show his cards right away. He must determine the player's his line of business first and then have him gather information on Cassius or/and establishing a contact with him or his environment. This would be a test of player capabilities and attitude. Afterwards, based on the player's performance and secrecy, he may decide whether to hire him for the task that really matters to him. As for the price, his oratorical strategy would be better if he did not downplay the task's importance( not credible) but to point out to the player he has other alternatives(another assassin, a grifter, etc) for the task and will decide on cost-effectiveness.
The player can accept and then double-cross or not Feng, but what happens if he refuses? If the player does not accept AFTER knowing Feng's real intentions he should be on Feng's "good riddance asap" list and  have to protect himself from Feng. In this case, finding a way to help Cassius, before Feng gets to him(remember alternatives), may be linked to saving his own skin.
What do you think?

About the skill points: Let's add 2 or 3 to Streetwise, might be handy when confronting a probably manipulative power-broker. For the rest I would decide later .  About etiquette: It won't help our assassin climb any walls or shooting bolts at his target, but may help not having to do these things on some circumstances. Investing points on etiquette should be decided early: a serious investment throughout the game or nothing: You are too rude to be invited so go climb walls and break through windows.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:50:58 pm by Dr.Strangelove » Logged
jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 15, 2008, 12:01:46 pm »

One vote for streetwise.
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 15, 2008, 03:30:50 pm »

I vote for placing 3 points in Streetwise and 2 in Critical Strike.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:37:42 pm by Lainestin » Logged
namad
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 16, 2008, 02:37:17 am »

looks to me like vince already spent the points in that screenshot on crossbow streetwise dodge and crit strike which sounds reasonable enough.. i think if we plan to do the assassin quest first we should focus on crossbow/dodge and if we plan to stay in town looking for more quests perhaps straight up all into streetwise
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 16, 2008, 10:05:05 am »

It's more outsourcing a project to the PC than buying-selling. The project (getting rid of Cassius) is a process and has a cost-benefit issue. In in this case the benefit for Feng is his career, so his main focus should be the success of the project and secondarily the cost.
Have you ever dealt with greedy people before? Or anyone with strong vices/flaws? Most of the time these flaws would override the "clear thinking" department and be responsible for dumb mistakes.

Anyway, here is how I see the situation. Antidas invites another loremaster. Feng has a very few options available to him. Using the assassins guild is risky as that's the first place Antidas will send his enforcers to if the loremaster turns up dead. So, it has to be a freelancer. Risky? Yes, but what does he have to lose? If he does nothing, he will definitely lose everything. If he tries something, he might lose everything or might actually win.

There are some solutions: Getting rid of Cassius in another way, having the assassination look like an accident and hirind a capable assassin independently of the Assassin's Guild for more secrecy. These issues should be addressed before price and be reflected on Feng's conduct. His primary concern should be that the PC does a clean job. He must investigate the PC's capabilities and be interested on how the problem will be dealt.
Sometimes you can afford to be picky, when you have plenty of options to choose from. Sometimes, when you have no or one option, you play the cards you've got.

Besides, he doesn't ask you to kill him. If that's how you understood it, that's your problem, not Feng's. He can confess in being insecure and wishing for Cassius to go away, but he never asked to kill nobody. No siree Bob.

MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:11 am »

I would actually suggest to get rid of Feng in some way, or double cross him or kill him via some quest, or tell Antidas about his intentions.
I mean Feng is a greedy bastard, if there is now a choice to go to someone else for our problems, why do we need him ?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: