Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD combat video #2  (Read 180958 times)
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2007, 04:09:15 pm »

Here is the video, guys. Enjoy, and let us know what you think.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:33:12 pm by Oscar » Logged

"But is the best good enough?"
Oscar
puppyonastik
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 04:19:53 pm »

That was fucking fantastic guys! I loved the animations, they were very detailed and fluid! The music was great and fit the setting perfectly (I heard strong Greco-Roman influences). Flawless work! Best X-mas present ever Grin

I loved the ending with the surprise, very unexpected!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:25:09 pm by puppyonastik » Logged

Quote from: Mayday
Can a single dick even enter a group setting?
Quote from: Fez
You've never lived until you've tried it.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 04:31:51 pm »

Glad you liked it. The mechanics aren't perfect, but now they are much, much closer to what we want them to be. Nothing more tweaking won't fix. And just for the record, the "say hello to my little friend" thing at the end was a joke and is not in the game.
puppyonastik
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 05:22:31 pm »

The mechanics aren't perfect, but now they are much, much closer to what we want them to be.

Still, it's all top notch. You have yourself a great team and it shows.

Quote from: Mayday
Can a single dick even enter a group setting?
Quote from: Fez
You've never lived until you've tried it.
John Yossarian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 05:28:50 pm »

Awesome job! Loved the whirlwind animation, and I must have replayed the knockback one more than 10 times. Also, the interface looks great in action.
Small nitpick that I think has been raised before: The regular 'getting-hit' animation looks like a quick dodge to me. I'd give suggestions, but I find it hard to believe that whoever made all those other great ones can't come up with something that looks more "hurtful".
Second nitpick, sound effects.
Keep up the good work, and Merry Christmas.
Ander Vinz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 05:38:23 pm »

Good work. So, when will I be able to play such a cool game?  Wink

Pastel: "PS:T had rat diplomacy - although the buggers would betray you, I think. Rotten, filthy creatures."
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 05:42:07 pm »

One day. Hopefully, sooner than you think.
baby arm
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 06:03:54 pm »

Hmm, it must be Wednesday then.

Great to see the video, guys. Keep it up.
I'm glad to hear that the "say hello to my little friend" line isn't actually in the game.

The regular 'getting-hit' animation looks like a quick dodge to me. I'd give suggestions, but I find it hard to believe that whoever made all those other great ones can't come up with something that looks more "hurtful".
Agreed, especially when getting hit by that bigass axe.
Elwro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 06:46:56 pm »

Fantastic, of course! I have no issues with the animations, you always have to suspend your disbelief regarding weapon/body collision in 3D games :-) The wide range of various available attacks is great!

2 things:
1. When you disarm the Centurion, his weapon disappears. What happens to it? Can you pick it up?
2. From the main part of the video one could get the impression that the viewing distance is fixed. You only change it when the main combat is finished. Wouldn't it be better if you changed it a bit in the beginning, just to show it's possible?

edit: removed a stupid question.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 07:03:11 pm by Elwro » Logged
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 06:56:29 pm »

Looks great. Especially the free camera movement in the hall after the fight. Love the little details (statues, paintings etc.) and the lighting. The combat music track is good, the normal track is adequate.

The gladius and spear thrusts are well animated but I still got a problem with the short sword slash. It lacks power.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 07:02:04 pm »

Fantastic, of course! I have no issues with the animations, you always have to suspend your disbelief regarding weapon/body collission in 3D games :-) The wide range of various available attacks is great!
Thanks.

2 things:
1. When you disarm the Centurion, his weapon disappears. What happens to it? Can you pick it up?
It drops on the ground, but isn't shown. You don't pixel-hunt items; instead you click the eye button and get all available* items Realms of Arkania style. Simple and effective.

* your "available" radius is much smaller during combat.

2. From the main part of the video one could get the impression that the viewing distance is fixed. You only change it when the main combat is finished. Wouldn't it be better if you changed it a bit in the beginning, just to show it's possible?
Good point. We'll do that when we show a "life in a small town" video.
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 07:10:22 pm »

It drops on the ground, but isn't shown. You don't pixel-hunt items; instead you click the eye button and get all available* items Realms of Arkania style. Simple and effective.

Well, and we thought about marking the tile with l00t, too, since many people want it. We'll discuss it, and I will probably implement this thingy in closest future.

"But is the best good enough?"
Oscar
Elwro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 07:22:35 pm »

Cool, thanks for the replies. If you stay with the eye option it'll be fine by me, but I bet "where are the items dropped in combat?" would be one of most frequently asked questions concerning the game. Otoh, maybe I'm too pessimistic about people reading manuals :-)
somnium
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 07:34:46 pm »

Very nice. I thought the screenshots looked fantastic. But that was nothing compared to seeing it all in motion. It makes me feel rather amazed and frankly surprised.
In fact the graphics are so great that the inherent pessimist in me start to wonder if you are not spending too much development time on the graphics Wink.
Special_Can
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 07:46:27 pm »

The download isn't working for me right now. It just might be too busy, I'll try again later and give my opinion then.

I roleplay. If there un-conscious, i just walk away and pretend there dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: