Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD combat video #2  (Read 95208 times)
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2009, 04:36:31 AM »

Actually, I think I have a better idea. Vince, Nick, Oscar and co. - consider having 7 different "difficulty" levels - next level of difficulty will be unlocked after completing a game with one class. So, if someone finishes a game by playing an assassin, he can take a next level which will have somehow increased difficulty. However, in order to play that level he needs to choose a different class than the classes he already finished game with (e.g. assassin).

Such approach would encourage replayability and provide more challenge for those who know the game very well from previous playthrougs. Of course higher difficulty levels could be very arbitrary, e.g.:

Level 1 : Normal game
Level 2 : -1 to all skill points
Level 3 : -1 to stat point
Level 4 : -1 to stat point - 2 to all skill points
and so on...

Having an option of putting later a scoreboard of such 7 playthroughs on the internet would help as well with replayability. Almost all people like bragging about how hardcore they are at beating a game Wink

Thirdly, I believe I read on another post that Vince was considering lowering the overall stat point pool at the beginning of the game.  Would there ever be a way to adjust stat points given at character design?  I love choices and every once and a while I want to create a really powerful character.  Maybe something like another background? 
Commoner - 10 stat points - From common blood, you grew up with nothing but what you have forged for yourself. 
Hero - 15 points - You are descended from great people and have been afforded all of the training and ability one can expect from a person of your ancestry.
Legend - 20 points - Your blood comes from the people of legends, you have always excelled in everything you have put your mind to.  You received the best training and genetics and it shows.

Almost like choosing hard, normal, or easy difficulty.
Sounds like an interesting solution, but I'm not sure that someone would actually pick "commoner". I know a lot of people who simply couldn't resist taking Gifted in Fallout. Not taking it felt like weakening their character on purpose. So, most likely we'll decide what the best, most balanced amount of stat points is and go with it.

There's actually a very simple solution to it really. Just have a highscore list in the game that shows which difficulty you played the game on, possibly even a partially online one. I know plenty of people love seeing their name on a list that proves them to be "hardcore" by playing the game with a higher difficulty.

That said, most people would certainly choose the most stat points(me included), but this way some people might choose the "lesser" options.

List of forum members approving of this post :
galsiah
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 14, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »

Making some variables changeable via a config file is the easiest way to make these details available to the hardcore player.  Anyone interested enough to want these changes would seek out the config file.  Added benefits:  no need to create a whole new interface menu; no worries about screwing up game balance for casual players.  If you mess with the config file, obviously you can expect it to unbalance the game.

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 15, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »

Sorry to disappoint you avatarr , but there are no classes in this game.
Those are Backgrounds and this does not mean that if you chose the merchant background you cannot play a fighter.

FedericoV
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2009, 07:25:46 AM »

I liked the combat video a lot: it's very professional and the TB gameplay seems good. Having said that, I know that it's late to express such opinion, but I think that TB give its best when you controll a party. Controlling a single charachter in a TB combat could became boring at the long run, since you do not have lot of options to move your "pawns". Well, we will see, I do not think that the game will be focused only on combat, so it won't be a great problem  Grin.
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 03, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »

Controlling a single charachter in a TB combat could became boring at the long run, since you do not have lot of options to move your "pawns".

This "fact" seems to get more and more popular...I blame Mr. Vogel.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
FedericoV
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 03, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »

Controlling a single charachter in a TB combat could became boring at the long run, since you do not have lot of options to move your "pawns".

This "fact" seems to get more and more popular...I blame Mr. Vogel.

It's far from being a fact, it's only my opinion. And honestly I do not know who is that Mr Vogel  Grin. I like TB and tactical combat. But I think that TB is best suited for party-based games. If you can control only one character, especially in a game where most of the combats will be melee, I can't see how the combat will become more tactical because of the TB structure. Having said that, it would be unfair to judge those design choices without having actually played the game, there are lot of assumptions on my part, so I will wait and see Wink.
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 03, 2009, 10:08:31 PM »

Herr Vogel hat'n Vogel.

That's German for "Mr. Vogel is bonkers."

I am very childish indeed.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »

But I think that TB is best suited for party-based games. If you can control only one character, especially in a game where most of the combats will be melee, I can't see how the combat will become more tactical because of the TB structure. Having said that, it would be unfair to judge those design choices without having actually played the game, there are lot of assumptions on my part, so I will wait and see Wink.

You are judiciously open-minded, a welcome quality in forum posters.  Rules and systems being equal, multiple controlled characters do offer more tactical opportunities than a single character, however if you look into some of the discussion of combat for AoD, you will discover that the authors are making combat very deep and complex.  Also important to me personally, every type of weapon is being simulated with special care, so for example playing a spear-wielding character will be just as worthwhile as a sword-wielding character.  Most fantasy games presume the bow to be the default range weapon and the sword the default melee, and everything else feels like a flavour add-on.

Check out this recent update on tweaking of critical attacks and other details.  Just the tip of the iceberg mind you, but it gives some indication of the painstaking attention to combat being paid.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:19:52 PM by Scott » Logged

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
Gregorus Prime

Cheese and Whine Distributed Freely

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 12, 2009, 05:41:54 AM »

What is this foolishness? Anyone who's played Oblivion should know that swinging a rusty steel dagger and swinging a heavy maul made out of diamond-hard black volcanic glass infused with the twisted remnants of Daedra souls both work in exactly the same way.
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 14, 2009, 08:16:51 PM »

Sorry to double-post, but I did have a question that I don't see the answer to (maybe I'm not looking hard enough though):

Have the "polite" (as some called them) animations been replaced with some more visceral ones? I saw a quote somewhere from Vince to the effect that it might be too late to fix them; has that changed?
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 14, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »

First of all we implemented a speed slider, so you can speed up the animations if you find them slow. The attack animations are the same as in the video, but we added more death animations that look pretty nice, and a brutal death animations for every weapon. I'll ask if I can post a video of one of them.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 15, 2009, 02:42:10 AM »

Well, I didn't think they were slow, really, just lacking in oomph. The death animations were actually the ones I liked best, so the fact that you're adding even more of them makes me happy.

And yes, by all means, post more videos!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: