Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD combat video #2  (Read 90978 times)
Felix
Apprentice

..R'Lyeh calls!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2008, 08:25:57 AM »

There is blood there. Hardly visible on the video, maybe, because of the compression.
I meant when a charcter is struck in combat, i've seen the spreading blood pool when the charcter is already dead (quite realistic and cool).
But if you say is there, i'll trust you Smile

Unarmed characters are not in combat, so it's not that important, in our opinion.
Aha, so if you're disarmed, you're out of combat...interesting approach.
There isn't "unarmed fight" or the like, then...

Maybe, though it doesn't sound like a must
Nay Smile
Just being nitpicky. Tho it would make things easier, isn't really necessary. gaylord stuff, i guess Wink

Acid, for example.
Alchemy?
Awesome!

Btw, i do think that graphics  are important. And i think that many, many people too.
If people that asks about nice visuals are graphic whores or gaylords...then heck, i'm a fucking fairy Tongue

Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: September 20, 2008, 08:35:26 AM »

I believe graphics add to the atmosphere of a game. I'd rather call it art, as graphics seem to imply "shiny, sharper textures and 3D models", while art implies the beauty of the setting and your surroundings. You can appreciate the art in 10-15 year old games. That said, I can't play a game which is say, 20 years old, like Ultima.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2008, 09:10:32 AM »

I meant when a charcter is struck in combat, i've seen the spreading blood pool when the charcter is already dead (quite realistic and cool).
But if you say is there, i'll trust you

Yep, it's there. Perhaps we should make it bigger, though.

Nay
Just being nitpicky. Tho it would make things easier, isn't really necessary. gaylord stuff, i guess

You also have the mouse over tooltip that tells you the current state of the enemy (Healthy, Wounded, Badly Wounded, Almost Dead).

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 21, 2008, 12:14:01 PM »

Is a town life video still in the works or was that scrapped?
On hold for now. The reaction to the combat video was somewhat negative. Our usual "work in progress; just showing you what we have so far" didn't really work there. So, now we would prefer to show more polished, more trailer-y. We'll do it but a bit later.

Firstly, regarding combat skills.  Does the throw skill encompass all thrown objects or just objects considered thrown only weapons?  Such as if I have very low throw skill, but very high spear skill, will I be adept at throwing spears?
No. Spear skill means using a spear effectively in close combat. If you want to throw things, that's Throwing skill.

Secondly, in the skills:alchemy description, there is mention of healing potions.  I read somewhere on here that there would be salves, but no potions.  Mistake or are there truly healing potions available?
No potions. Salve only.

Thirdly, I believe I read on another post that Vince was considering lowering the overall stat point pool at the beginning of the game.  Would there ever be a way to adjust stat points given at character design?  I love choices and every once and a while I want to create a really powerful character.  Maybe something like another background? 
Commoner - 10 stat points - From common blood, you grew up with nothing but what you have forged for yourself. 
Hero - 15 points - You are descended from great people and have been afforded all of the training and ability one can expect from a person of your ancestry.
Legend - 20 points - Your blood comes from the people of legends, you have always excelled in everything you have put your mind to.  You received the best training and genetics and it shows.

Almost like choosing hard, normal, or easy difficulty.
Sounds like an interesting solution, but I'm not sure that someone would actually pick "commoner". I know a lot of people who simply couldn't resist taking Gifted in Fallout. Not taking it felt like weakening their character on purpose. So, most likely we'll decide what the best, most balanced amount of stat points is and go with it.
Felix
Apprentice

..R'Lyeh calls!

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »

Quote from: Vince
The reaction to the combat video was somewhat negative. Our usual "work in progress; just showing you what we have so far" didn't really work there.

Really??
Bah, don't pay attention. No matter how polished -even finished- the video could be, and how many times you say " what we have so far", gaylords will always complaint. Always. I do  Embarrassed

I'll bet that almost everyone here would play the game right now if you give them the choice, even those with really negative feedback.

Btw, the combat system is awesome. I think is better than most going around actually, at a ToEE level, and better in some points. Seriously, tactical geeks will praise it. Smile

Now release another video!  Mad
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »

Now release another video!  Mad

I concur. My hunger is insatiable.

Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 21, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »

Also combat artical plz.
Argence
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »

Videos can wait, like you said Vince. No use pausing progress repeatedly and delaying the game further to show things that are still being worked on. Personally, I'd release a few videos while its in testing, almost ready to come out. With the exception of the people following the forums regularly, most folks are going to have a rather short attention span.
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 04, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »

We have a push attack planned (you can push and knock enemies down with your shield), but I'm not sure if it make into the game.

Any updates on this?

Nope. Too early to say.

How about now? Grin

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 04, 2009, 03:25:51 PM »

It's on the "stuff that we'd like to add but may not be able to due to time constraints" list. I highly doubt it will be in the demo.
KillerAnt
Novice

Support you local game developer

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »

Loved the video! This game will be great, for me the most important thing is game play and story. And now you also have great graphics. I can´t wait until Thursday when it comes out. I´ve missed a good turn based RPGs for such a long long time....
krow feast
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 08, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »

i'm  just excited to be able to play a good video game sometime soon. It's been a long time. Wallbang

sin is in
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »

Shit, thought it was a new video Sad *goes back to lurking*

ceson
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2009, 02:04:05 PM »

Why would you... thought this was a new one as well... *sigh*  Cry
Tiavals
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:02 AM »

Thirdly, I believe I read on another post that Vince was considering lowering the overall stat point pool at the beginning of the game.  Would there ever be a way to adjust stat points given at character design?  I love choices and every once and a while I want to create a really powerful character.  Maybe something like another background? 
Commoner - 10 stat points - From common blood, you grew up with nothing but what you have forged for yourself. 
Hero - 15 points - You are descended from great people and have been afforded all of the training and ability one can expect from a person of your ancestry.
Legend - 20 points - Your blood comes from the people of legends, you have always excelled in everything you have put your mind to.  You received the best training and genetics and it shows.

Almost like choosing hard, normal, or easy difficulty.
Sounds like an interesting solution, but I'm not sure that someone would actually pick "commoner". I know a lot of people who simply couldn't resist taking Gifted in Fallout. Not taking it felt like weakening their character on purpose. So, most likely we'll decide what the best, most balanced amount of stat points is and go with it.

There's actually a very simple solution to it really. Just have a highscore list in the game that shows which difficulty you played the game on, possibly even a partially online one. I know plenty of people love seeing their name on a list that proves them to be "hardcore" by playing the game with a higher difficulty.

That said, most people would certainly choose the most stat points(me included), but this way some people might choose the "lesser" options.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: