Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD combat video #2  (Read 123957 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 23, 2008, 10:39:14 am »

No. Good book though.
Euchrid

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 23, 2008, 11:27:01 pm »

Okay, just that I know you'd mentioned somewhere having read it, and with AOD sharing a similar global theme, I wondered whether you may have drawn on it in some way. On re-reading it recently, the forgetting of pre-war knowledge and the story focusing on its recovery, was something that resonated with the little I know of AOD's story and world situation. Though, this is of course a common theme in post-apoc narratives.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 29, 2008, 12:54:09 pm »

We have 7 combat tracks and 11 non-combat ones. It's unlikely that one will like them all equally, since such things are highly subjective.

Edit: That was in response to Jedi's post, which he decided to delete for some reasons.

I like it now. Embarrassed

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
sport
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2008, 02:20:42 pm »

Being that there's so many pages in the thread, is there anything said on sound being added to combat for attacks?  Will there be any?  As it seems odd to have people swinging, dodging, shooting, and throwing all without sound.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2008, 03:08:05 pm »

Sound will be added.
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2008, 07:01:34 pm »

Sound will be added.
Any chance of the same video re-edited with sound?

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2008, 07:03:02 pm »

Why the same video? To show the difference? If yes, sure.
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2008, 07:09:16 pm »

Why the same video? To show the difference? If yes, sure.
That's pretty much the same reason, though if you have a third combat video in mind I've no problem waiting Wink

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 18, 2008, 02:13:55 pm »

Will there be more videos soon and if so, what will they showcase?
We have a "town life" video and a "quest walkthrough in screenshots" article planned. The article is for GameBanshee. 

Is a town life video still in the works or was that scrapped?
Bradr
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 19, 2008, 12:14:47 pm »

Hey guys, first time poster, and the game looks wonderful!  Bout time someone brought back some quality good old turn based gaming. 

Been reading around the forums for a bit and had a few questions:
Firstly, regarding combat skills.  Does the throw skill encompass all thrown objects or just objects considered thrown only weapons?  Such as if I have very low throw skill, but very high spear skill, will I be adept at throwing spears?

Secondly, in the skills:alchemy description, there is mention of healing potions.  I read somewhere on here that there would be salves, but no potions.  Mistake or are there truly healing potions available?

Thirdly, I believe I read on another post that Vince was considering lowering the overall stat point pool at the beginning of the game.  Would there ever be a way to adjust stat points given at character design?  I love choices and every once and a while I want to create a really powerful character.  Maybe something like another background? 
Commoner - 10 stat points - From common blood, you grew up with nothing but what you have forged for yourself. 
Hero - 15 points - You are descended from great people and have been afforded all of the training and ability one can expect from a person of your ancestry.
Legend - 20 points - Your blood comes from the people of legends, you have always excelled in everything you have put your mind to.  You received the best training and genetics and it shows.

Almost like choosing hard, normal, or easy difficulty.

Just thought I'd put that and get an opinion or two.  I also heard there would be no cheats or modability for characters -  so more choices at character creation would give more replay value.  Oh well, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:23:21 pm by Bradr » Logged

December 25, 2009, 07:49:24 PM
"http://www.irontowerstudio.com/files/AoD_demo.ex Go nuts." - Vince
Yes sir, I believe I will
Jaime Lannister
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 19, 2008, 06:23:05 pm »

The "commoner, noble, legend" idea is racist and terrible. Why should your ancestors determine how powerful you are?

Just do:

Easy: 20 points
Medium: 15 points
Hard: 10 points
Felix
Apprentice

..R'Lyeh calls!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2008, 08:54:17 pm »

OMFG
That was awesome.  Shocked

-The combat system reminds me of Hoshigami, which i loved.
-Everything runs very smooth, and the animation when the character grabs the javelin in the air to to throw it, is simply perfect.
-I really liked the aimed attacks, something i always expected in a game.
-The "absorbed damage" system of the armor is great. I think is way much better than the tipical bonus to not being hit.

Opinions:
I can only be nitpicky, everything looks to good and didn't see any ovbious.

-Aside that you (and other people) mentioned sounds for the attacks, will be there something else visual too? (a simple example would be blood.)
-Will be there a diferent animation for unarmed/disarmed character in combat? it seems to be the same when the character is out of combat. Not a big deal, tho.
-Is it possible to have some effect on the health bar when the character is injured? Not a big deal neither, it should be easier to know when actually you lose life. Something like a quick red blinking or the like.
-Seeing that the armor is what it takes the damage, will be there some skill/weapon/effect to broke it? Or it will broke at certain point?
-Terrain will grant bonuses/penalties?

Seriously, can't wait to try it. Again, the combat system is perfect, at least for my personal tastes. Smile

Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2008, 11:30:08 pm »

The "commoner, noble, legend" idea is racist and terrible. Why should your ancestors determine how powerful you are?

Just do:

Easy: 20 points
Medium: 15 points
Hard: 10 points

How is this racist?  I wouldn't recommend it myself, but the race card has no place here.

Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: September 20, 2008, 04:36:09 am »

-Aside that you (and other people) mentioned sounds for the attacks, will be there something else visual too? (a simple example would be blood.)
There is blood there. Hardly visible on the video, maybe, because of the compression.

-Will be there a diferent animation for unarmed/disarmed character in combat? it seems to be the same when the character is out of combat. Not a big deal, tho.
Unarmed characters are not in combat, so it's not that important, in our opinion.

-Is it possible to have some effect on the health bar when the character is injured? Not a big deal neither, it should be easier to know when actually you lose life. Something like a quick red blinking or the like.
Maybe, though it doesn't sound like a must - you have a text box for that.

-Seeing that the armor is what it takes the damage, will be there some skill/weapon/effect to broke it? Or it will broke at certain point?
Acid, for example.

-Terrain will grant bonuses/penalties?
No.

"Oh, 'twould be marvelous if the world and its moral questions were like some game board, with plain black players and white, and fixed rules, and nary a shade of grey."
The Black Company. Shadows Linger.

"But is the best good enough?"
(c) Oscar
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 20, 2008, 07:16:30 am »

Yes I believe a little blood adds so much to the fight, though Nick said it's there just not visible due to the compression, so we'll take his word for it Wink

I thirst for another combat video.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: