Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD combat video #2  (Read 93922 times)
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2008, 03:26:18 PM »

Great, great video, but the last sound is just too loud, tone it down a little bit.

Pretty sure the last sound is just a joke, much like the entire end of the video. Still, probably ought to be cut or toned down if this is going to get re-encoded and posted places.
Revenge1911
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »

Well heres my input on the video - and the game in general - the game is a great idea, perfect setting that it's in the falling of Rome. Anything is possible, where your not restricted by the historical accuracy of what happened during the "True Roman" times so your free to make a plot as you see fit. So, I guess I will shed some light on what I think about certain sections.

Setting  - As mentioned above the idea of being part of a falling empire is a great idea. A 'la' Fallout', but in the past and without glowing mutants  Haha, no . I am still curious however if there will be fantasy elements added to the game or if it will be "authentic" to the period. For example, will we be fighting just humans, or will griffon's and charging rhinos make an appearance? Roll Eyes (My personal preference would be just realistic, humans only, low magic world.) 

Game play -  From what I've seen in the videos the game play looks fantastic bringing back the true CRPG nature of what was once upon a time a great genre with many good unrealized games. I myself, am usually struck between real-time and turn based. But if done correctly I love turn based, for example - in Fallout (Did you notice that we're all using Fallout as a base for explaining things? lol) every shot or miss had a sound / reaction to it. Only thing I wish the game had would have been better animations. For example instead of a character standing there while getting shot at if another character missed, maybe they could have animated it where he quickly dove to the right, then crawled back to where he was during his turn in the missed shot would have made the game play more exciting visually.  So what I am trying to say is, if you have a turn-based system at least make the animations and sounds in par with the game play itself. It's not only appealing but it also makes those close calls worth watching and makes you want to beg for more.

Immersion/Choices - Ok, heres one that really gives the developers of any RPG a true standing. CHOICES, everyone loves them and it defines a players character - if we have enough choice in a game to do pretty much (Within limits) what we want as a player, in the world the game play would be much more exciting, don't like that peasant that is calling you names? Smash his face in, but pay the price by the guards. However doing bad shouldn't always have a bad outcome, so if we kill that annoying peasant we should be able to flee and maybe change our appearance so the guards don't know it was us. Thats the kind of choices I wish all RPGS had to where we can do what we want within the limits of the story.

So basically to sum it up - Good sound, animated moves, plot and nonlinear game play is to me, what makes a great CRPG, or RPG. It's great to have a main story, but the choice to go around it and put it off as long as you can is a great choice to have for those that love to experience every part of a CRPG, but it's still there for those that want to blow through the game as quickly as possible.

John Yossarian

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »

Great work Dementia! ( You're now off my hit list, which you got on for saying you were taking a certain trip a while back).
I agree with cardtrick about not releasing another video without sfx, but the next one was supposed to be a showcase of life in some town, so I don't know if the people who bitched about animations will be convinced. Maybe use an assassin (hello Let's Play thread), and show a little combat, using some of the weirder stuff like nets and acid. Or release two videos at the same time.
As for telling people about this video, I'd prefer if fans posted it in already existing threads, preferably in the ones where people complained, and gauge the reaction. It might be confusing for some people if you make a new thread, or tell an admin or editor about it privately, since it might be taken for an official video regardless of how many times you say it isn't. In any case, I'd wait for Dementia's Hi-Res version.

Again, good work.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »

Setting  - As mentioned above the idea of being part of a falling empire is a great idea. A 'la' Fallout', but in the past and without glowing mutants  Haha, no . I am still curious however if there will be fantasy elements added to the game or if it will be "authentic" to the period. For example, will we be fighting just humans, or will griffon's and charging rhinos make an appearance? Roll Eyes (My personal preference would be just realistic, humans only, low magic world.) 
Age of Decadence is set in a FICTIONAL low-magic fantasy world. I'd like to know about the enemies too Tongue

Immersion/Choices - Ok, heres one that really gives the developers of any RPG a true standing. CHOICES, everyone loves them and it defines a players character - if we have enough choice in a game to do pretty much (Within limits) what we want as a player, in the world the game play would be much more exciting, don't like that peasant that is calling you names? Smash his face in, but pay the price by the guards. However doing bad shouldn't always have a bad outcome, so if we kill that annoying peasant we should be able to flee and maybe change our appearance so the guards don't know it was us. Thats the kind of choices I wish all RPGS had to where we can do what we want within the limits of the story.
Huh, that's kind of basic, you know? Those are trivial choices, nothing to talk about when you talk about choices and consequences... AoD is so much more then that, as was Fallout, Torment or Arcanum.

Wendigo Design, by Tiago Sá
John Yossarian

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2008, 05:30:35 PM »

I think VD said there are like four non-human NPCs in the game total, and that you can talk to all of them (IRC, one of them was some kind of rock that install kills you).
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2008, 03:45:59 AM »

It is possible that he was referring to NPCs only as game dialog chars and not animals. Some people don't think of beasts and monsters as NPCs. I don't really know why.

Wendigo Design, by Tiago Sá
JuJu
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »

I'm too lazy to search for it, but Vince has said that all 'monsters' are humans, so no animals or mythical beasts.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »

I think VD said there are like four non-human NPCs in the game total, and that you can talk to all of them (IRC, one of them was some kind of rock that install kills you).
It was a "stone demon" (silicon-based creature). It doesn't "install kill" you, whatever that means.

Overall, we have 4 non-human characters in the game. We don't have rats, skeletons, ogres, dragons, and other traditional foes.

I don't want to spoil other non-human characters, so I'll repost what's been posted before:
There is a stone statue of a demon reading a book. The demon is carved with great precision, and his pose reflects deep thoughts and tranquility. As you approach, the statue closes the book in one fluid motion and looks at you with amusement:

"I do believe we have a visitor. Unfortunately, it appears that we are closed at the moment, and I've been instructed to dispose of all visitors. Therefore, we have a dilemma."

"Dispose?"

"Kill. Destroy. Murder. Do you have any preferences in the matter? If there is some sort of death you would enjoy more, feel free to share that with me. Being an expert in killing, I'm sure that I'm familiar with most methods and would be more than happy to accommodate your request."

"An expert in killing?"

"Not very bright, are you?" The guardian draws two blades out of nowhere with an alarming speed.

1. * trying hard to ignore the blades * You mentioned a dilemma...
2. * draw a weapon * For an expert in killing, you sure like to talk a lot.
3. * run
4. What are you?

If 2.
Very observant of you. Yes, a dilemma. You see, there is something you can do for me, and in return I'll let you go free. Even better, I'll allow you to explore this place and give you a great treasure that was given to me for safekeeping. How does that sound to you?

1. Sounds much better than choosing a way to die. So, what can I do for you?
2. [streetwise] That bit about the treasure was way overdone, don't you think?

If 2.
Hmm, not so stupid after all. Alright, here is a deal. Try to leave and I'll kill you, stay and argue with me and I'll kill you, do what I tell you and maybe you will live to see the daylight again. So, what's it going to be?

Also, this encounter didn't make it into the game, but it may entertain you:

You stand in front of a large sarcophagus. There are no decorations; every available surface is covered with symbols chiseled deep into the stone. Their placement is too chaotic to be a life story of the one locked inside. You feel a burning sensation when you move your hand closer to the symbols.

1. Open the sarcophagus.
2. Leave it alone.

Declaring a victory over common sense, you open the sarcophagus. There is an old and dusty skeleton inside. It doesn't appear that he took anything with him into the afterlife, except for five golden nails attaching him to the sarcophagus. Four nails secure the skeleton's arms and legs, the last one shines in the middle of the skull.

1. Take the nails - gold is gold.
2. Remove the nail from the skull.
3. Leave it alone.

If 1: You remove a nail from one of the arms. The dead fingers move. They move slowly at first and then start to weave some kind of pattern. Suddenly a lightning bolt strikes at the sarcophagus, narrowly missing you and wiping out a score of now glowing symbols.

1. Run. As fast as you can.
2. Cut the arm off.

If 1.
The sarcophagus has been obliterated. Cracked pieces of stone plates with burning marks lie everywhere. There are no signs of the former occupant.

If 2. You strike quickly, severing the arm at the elbow. The fingers move for a few more seconds, slow down, then finally freeze.

1. Remove the nail from the skull.
2. Leave it alone.

You remove the nail from the skull. Almost immediately fire lights up in the empty eye sockets, forming two balls of liquid fire. The jaws move soundlessly. The fire burns brighter for a second, and the jaws move again. This time the sound is clear and a rage filled "Son of a bitch!" scream echoes in the cavern.

Who are you?

WHAT?! *The skeleton seems to be insulted by the question* I'm Nazzer, the High Magus. I need a new body. Take me to the Council of Magi and you will get your weight in gold.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »

Can I request that there be no more spoilers like that one? Seems like a pretty significant point in the game. I know I read it, but I find it hard to stop myself once started.

And can I request that you change Nazzer (rhymes with Razzer) to Nazzar, Nezzar or Nazzeer? Original sounds a bit comical. The suggestions I made sound more like an eastern mage of some sort, at least to me. Could just be me being odd though.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2008, 02:37:32 PM »

I agree with no more spoilers like that . . . but that particular one has already been posted at least twice before, so I didn't mind seeing it again. Anyway, it's a damn cool scene.
Revenge1911
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2008, 02:51:54 PM »

Okay, thanks for the answers Vince, and others - it helped clear up what the game will be like and it's got my vote! - I look forward to reading more about this game in the future, up until it's release.
jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2008, 12:18:19 AM »

Can I request that there be no more spoilers like that one? Seems like a pretty significant point in the game. I know I read it, but I find it hard to stop myself once started.

And can I request that you change Nazzer (rhymes with Razzer) to Nazzar, Nezzar or Nazzeer? Original sounds a bit comical. The suggestions I made sound more like an eastern mage of some sort, at least to me. Could just be me being odd though.
Not to mention Nazzer remindes me of Nasher from Neverwinter Nights. Smile
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2008, 09:24:36 AM »

"Also, this encounter didn't make it into the game, but it may entertain you..."

We wanted to have a character who'd travel with you, provide some insight, patronize you, and change certain things. Even that "stone demon" encounter would be different if you have the magus' skull in your inventory. Anyway, the skull thing is too fantasy-ish and it's the biggest Morte rip-off one could imagine, so we killed it.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2008, 10:52:49 AM »

Ah, my bad, sorry I missed that part.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »

Whoah . . . me too.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: