Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of DecadenceCombat Demo Discussions (Moderator: Vahha)What helps you more in AoD combats - Tactics or Reloads?
Poll
Question: What helps you more in AoD combats - Tactics or Reloads?
It's rather my tactics that helps me to win difficult battles.
It's rather reloads that help me to win difficult battles.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What helps you more in AoD combats - Tactics or Reloads?  (Read 4154 times)
Vahha

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »

Thanks for your vote.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Mephisto
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:39:41 pm »

Pure reloads without changing tactics usually don't get me anywhere.
Vahha

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:41:07 pm »

Ok, what about pure tactics changes without reloads?  Wink

― George Orwell, 1984
Mephisto
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 12:52:11 pm »

What is the point you are trying to make? Reloads have nothing to do with lack of tactics. Sometimes you chose a bad tactic and you die, so you reload and change tactics. That goes perfectly with the first option. The second option sounds like "Reload until the dice favor you", and that you died because of bad dice rolls.

I think you would be better off asking if AoD combat allows you to win using better tactics or just plain luck. Reloads have nothing to do with any of those.
Vahha

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:04:12 pm »

I think you would be better off asking if AoD combat allows you to win using better tactics or just plain luck.
The second part implies winning through a "reload-fest", which is mostly due to your mathematical probability "karma" rather than cardinally revised tactics. Like, after you find the best possible tactics for a difficult combat, do you win almost immediately or you need to go through series of reloads still.

― George Orwell, 1984
Ackermanus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 02:19:56 pm »

It really depends on the fight and the build I am using. For instance, for my spear/cs build, when I lost, changing tactics/equipment helped me prevail (except in cases where I was really unlucky, it also happens), except in the fight against the imperial guards: even with my optimal tactic, I'd say I only had 20% chance of winning.

With my throwing/block build, reloading was the only option against Mack (I tried buying heavier armour, but it seems the iron armour is no longer available once you get tier 3 equipment, and I didn't have enough money to buy a good steel armour). Otherwise, reloading wasn't needed except with stupendous bad luck (failing 3 attacks with 80% in a row, for instance).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 05:44:49 pm by Ackermanus » Logged
quasimodo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 03:39:44 pm »

I like playing around with different builds. Sometimes I get myself in a corner like with an all CS heavy armor build where multiple reloads is the only option. 

With a well desisgned character there are usually some tactical options available.
Gondolin
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:51:19 pm »

In R1 and R2, I won the fight at the inn by reloading. If the Imperials got a couple of criticals on me early on, there was no way to make it through the whole fight.

I say no to demon ponies.
Aramazon
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:34 am »

It's definitely tactics in this game...which is really cool. Reloads help a bunch because then you can change your tactics though Tongue hahaha I find most often that if I lose I need to try a certain tactic. The reloading only starts to make a difference in winning when your chance of winning the battle isn't so good. For example, the inn fight. Even with good tactics, you can lose easily due to a bit of bad luck, so you might need to reload a couple times.
Balor
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 10:44:36 am »

Point is, current critical hit and weapon mastery system massively encourages reloads.
I've already proposed an alternative one, but I highly doubt that it will be implemented - Vince has his hands full enough as it is.

Sapienti Sat.
JrK
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:17 am »

Other: It is mostly my skill distribution which wins the battle. I tend to save points and distribute when I need em. But it seems to me that if you don't optimize your distribution your build will suck. Don't think this will be a problem in the real game btw, since it will not be lineair.

Going for different attacks/armor/weapon choice however matters greatly in this game. So tactics play a big role. Tactical movement can be helpful as well.
piotras
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »

when it comes to the official combat demo (3rd release) I definitely say that luck has nothing to do with it and it's all about how I distribute my points and which equipment I choose + tactics, but in the unofficial dodge rebalance (which was posted somewhere on the forums by Oscar, if I remember correctly) I need to say that the balance shifts more towards luck ;p
Gambler
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:49:12 am »

Win a game with a character. Start another game, use the same items, stats and skills. How much reloads do you need to win the second time? That is the measurement of tactics vs luck. Ideally, if you know what you're doing, the game should be winnable with only a couple of reloads or even none at all. (I'm not speaking about the inn fight, of course.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:52:09 am by Gambler » Logged
piotras
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

Win a game with a character. Start another game, use the same items, stats and skills. How much reloads do you need to win the second time? That is the measurement of tactics vs luck.
I haven't played the game with the same character (since it would be boring like hell), but I managed to beat the demo with a few different chars, so I more or less understand what are the weaknesses of the NPCs. And I really think its more down to luck this time.
Vahha

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 01:11:50 pm »

Wow, one dude told it took him ~40 reloads to kill the Triarii with a decent bow build. And the tactics in that fight was pretty straightforward I guess.

― George Orwell, 1984
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: