Poll
Question: Dodge vs Block! Which is better and why?
Dodge!
Block!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poll: Dodge vs Block  (Read 67245 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2011, 07:53:22 pm »

The turn order is defined by the dexterity of the combatants. If the axe guy goes first because he has high dexterity, he will always go first.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2011, 08:06:47 pm »

Thanks, sorry for the confusion, I shouldn't have tried to rely on my memory, but sometimes you make an assumption and start believing it as a fact.

but it’s just that right now it’s all about games as a service. We can make money out of it, but you can make more money elsewhere.
Vahha

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2011, 05:33:32 am »

BTW, if differentiated AP cost of wielding shields of different size from inventory were implemented then it would be logical to implement similar differentiation for weapons of different size - and that would make already unpopular 2-H weapons (http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1553.0.html) even less popular.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
galsiah
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2011, 07:16:10 am »

I don't think that'd be necessary. For a start, it's the gameplay implications that matter more than realism. Even if realism were a major consideration, I think it still makes sense for it to be much harder to pull out a reserve tower-shield, than to pull out any reserve weapon. That said, I suppose it does make sense for it to be faster to draw a dagger than a two-handed hammer. That's only going to make much difference to a no-frills two-handed-hammer approach where disarming is a big issue though - but of course it might make dagger-users more versatile where weapon-switching were useful e.g. for nets/hand-crossbows/acid/....

It's important to bear in mind though, that a two-handed melee weapon is never a fixture in any build: any character who can use a two-hander, has the option to use a one-hander + other items. So long as it's sometimes desirable to go with a two-hander, there's not necessarily any problem. Of course this might depend on pricing/crafting considerations - e.g. if many characters can only afford/create one highly effective weapon, then the weapon-switching argument is no longer so relevant.

Another point to consider is that in the main game, it won't be quite so common to have Strength 10. In the combat demo, it's natural that two-handers suffer a little, since their extra damage is less significant when almost all characters have 8, 9 or 10 strength. Once it's common to have 6 or 7 strength, the damage of two-handers might be appreciated more.

Moreover, now that I actually look at the poll you linked, two-handed spears and two-handed hammers are some of the most popular weapons. Two-handed swords aren't, probably to some extent due to the can-be-useless-if-you-don't-know-what-you're-doing-critical-increase trait. Two-handed axes probably also suffer from not-great-trait syndrome. I guess the two-handed swords will be more popular with the new criticals mechanic, since the trait should always be useful. We'll have to see how two-handed axes do - to a large extent, it depends on how common shield-using opponents are.
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2011, 11:40:49 am »

The turn order is defined by the dexterity of the combatants. If the axe guy goes first because he has high dexterity, he will always go first.

Doesn't perception also factor in to a lesser degree?

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
galsiah
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2011, 12:10:35 pm »

I think that's only for detection range. Though I suppose if you initiate combat when only some enemies are within perception range, it might impact turn order(???).
Vahha

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2011, 12:11:59 pm »

I think ITS guys mentioned opponents' Perception influences how effectively you can flee from them once the combat started.

PS: good argumentation Galsiah, as usually  galsiah
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:06:28 pm by Vahhabyte » Logged

― George Orwell, 1984
Zottelkrischan
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2011, 11:32:53 am »

Hello,

sometimes it´s more interesting to read in this forum then to play a game (except if i could play THIS game :-)

to descructible shields:

I really care about my equipment, often save money for a longer time to get better things ( instead of constantly
buying things that only be a bit better than my actual).
I take my time to get sure that what i buy fits best for my character/playstyle.
So when i loose something of this "better" gear i really get angry.

Are shields repairable?
If not, how about the option to reinforce shields, not adding Split Resistance, only to make them repairable.
So i can decide to invest some additional money to keep the good shield. Reinforcing and Repairing should mayby
more expensive then rebuy some backup-shields, so this option becomes useful only for really good equipment.

Greets.

Stop this nonsense now! Let´s get back onto the trees!
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:05 am »

There are not really "better" shields. I understand the annoyance if you would lose the "Shield of Awesomeness +5", but here shields are generic, and a tower shield is not exactly better than a buckler, it just has different advantages and disadvantages.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Zottelkrischan
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2011, 11:59:50 am »

ok.

another question:
the chance to get the shield destroyed is the same for every time the axe/2h-wielder hits me? so the first hit can always destroy my shield?
hmm.. then mayby against a very experienced axe/2h-wielder i should use a 2h-weapon and hope i get him down befor the others chop me into pieces
and switch back to 1h/shield after he is dead. but what should i do if they are all axewielders...

..i didn´t really like the shieldbackup thing, it´s a kind of ineffective (for me), hmm maybe i try other builds first.

Ok, i didn´t know a better way to do this and it just depends on how often it happens that you loose a shield, and i can influence it, with choosing different shields
and try to avoid experienced axewielders or "solve" them in other ways then figths, so i think it is ok.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:19:16 pm by Zottelkrischan » Logged

Stop this nonsense now! Let´s get back onto the trees!
Vahha

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2011, 05:22:08 am »

For the full demo/game I'm moving to Blockers' camp  8)

― George Orwell, 1984
Ragnall
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2015, 04:09:12 am »

I run dodge Assasin now with full focus on Dodge and game is really frustrating and this play is one big savescumming.

:ast run with Blocker 4 DEX 4 STR was far more enjoyable  Wallbang
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: