Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stuck at the ordu archer/melee pair, advice?  (Read 18555 times)
deuxhero
Apprentice

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:27:46 am »

I'm using an agile fighter build
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4457/aod1.png
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8984/aod2.png
(Yes, I realized after starting that Kratos was strength in Greek, not Roman)

When the game doesn't bug up who gets hit I can generally kill the archer (though I am heavily damaged by then), but can't make consistent damage on the big guy.

How many fights till the next equip upgrade in the shop? How many fights till the end?
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 11:38:36 am »

If the archer is dealing many critical hits, buy the improved leather ordu armor. You have great dexterity, so make use of nets to lower the opponents chance to hit. As for dealing damage to the big guy, you can either try doing many fast attacks with the bigger dagger, in order to get more chances to bypass his armor (dagger trait), or go for the torso, which cuts armor DR in half for that attack.

This is the last fight of the second tier. For the next fight there is an upgrade in the shop. After that, 5 more fights until the end.

A word of advice. Don't invest in CS next time for the dagger build. It's better to have more points in the skill in order to trigger the bypass armor ability, and also some more dodge. CS works wonderfully with swords and bows, though, so try that next time too.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
deuxhero
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 11:45:51 am »

It's not really the crits but the cripples that the archer does that annoy me more.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 11:47:51 am »

That's related to your dodge. Try getting away from him, and positioning the big guy between you and him. That can help.

deuxhero
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »

I'm going to restart and not waste points in critical first (I thought critical strike effected the chances of armor bypass happening)
Bradr
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 12:27:30 pm »

Yeah, this has been one of the more annoying battles.  It seems like win or loss swings with huge randomness in either sides favor based upon the archer getting lucky on criticals.

The best I've done is when the archer kept hitting his buddy, then I finished off the archer.

December 25, 2009, 07:49:24 PM
"http://www.irontowerstudio.com/files/AoD_demo.ex Go nuts." - Vince
Yes sir, I believe I will
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 12:42:51 pm »

A heavy shield might help even if you don't have many points in Block. Large shields give a bonus to block and offer the highest defense against ranged (check the stats). You can use the shield to protect yourself against the arrows, then discard the shield and kill the swordsman.
Nehan
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 01:02:19 pm »

for a heavy fighter (sword+block+heavy armor) this fight is a peace of cake. the swordsman never ever hit me for more than 1 hp, and the archer's luck was not much better. the butcher and triarii, well, that's a completely different thing.
Lgrayman

Ḥashshāshīn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 01:56:18 pm »

I'm stuck on this fight too, tried like 30 times now and I just can't beat it. I'm putting most of my points into sword and critical strike. I've tried with my usual build weapon, the scimitar, and it just seems impossible - I killed the guy with the shield once, but that didn't stop the archer slaughtering me, even at point blank range. So I tried switching to a shield and sword to stop the archer's crits, which makes it so the shield guy takes ages to fall down, and so I'm left with minimal HP when I get to the archer, who can still inflict large damage to me every so often despite my shield and armour. I've tried lighter armour, which leads to me losing half of my health in like one shot. Any tips?

Screens of my character: http://i46.tinypic.com/xgfjmb.jpg - http://i49.tinypic.com/5ev15g.jpg
nerka99
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »

Spearman + dodge
10 dex 8 cond and smth
before battle start (just after u enter arena) try to take few steps toward archer keep him on distance and spear interruptions will do the rest

One Timex digital watch, broken. One unused prophylactic... One soiled. One black suit jacket, one pair black suit pants. One hat: black. One pair of sunglasses. $23.07. Sign here.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 02:09:23 pm »

Same problem as me mate. I'm going to try and use the net now, and if that fails, I'll use Vince's shield idea.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
deuxhero
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 03:17:21 pm »

Ok, that's the 5th time I've killed myself somehow, I'm tierd of them.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 03:39:32 pm »

Yeah, still can't kill them myself. Not even one of them. I do manage to throw  a net at them, but it isn't helping much. The bowman is annoying me, and the other guy I just can't damage enough!

Qtone

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 04:31:23 pm »

I too have been struggling with this fight and was jumping up and down with joy as I finally managed to beat it after 20-something attempts...

...only to have my PC freeze before I even got to loot the corpses Wallbang
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 04:35:14 pm by Qtone » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 04:39:20 pm »

I'm stuck on this fight too, tried like 30 times now and I just can't beat it. I'm putting most of my points into sword and critical strike. I've tried with my usual build weapon, the scimitar, and it just seems impossible - I killed the guy with the shield once, but that didn't stop the archer slaughtering me, even at point blank range. So I tried switching to a shield and sword to stop the archer's crits, which makes it so the shield guy takes ages to fall down, and so I'm left with minimal HP when I get to the archer, who can still inflict large damage to me every so often despite my shield and armour. I've tried lighter armour, which leads to me losing half of my health in like one shot. Any tips?

Screens of my character: http://i46.tinypic.com/xgfjmb.jpg - http://i49.tinypic.com/5ev15g.jpg

Well, you are making a build without any defense at all so that requires some planning. First of all, since you will be depending on the biggest armor to absorb damage, the 9 points in dexterity are a waste. So place 6 in it and then use the remaining 3 points for constitution and perception.

For this fight, I used a steel scimitar, iron imperial armor and iron thracian helmet. I went for the heavy guy first, and used aimed torso attacks. He should be dead in 3 or 4 hits. Use the skill points gained from him on sword, and then focus on the light guy. He'll probably cripple you, so you won't have any AP left after moving to attack him, but the AoO should be good enough to bring him down. Alternatively, you can switch to a faster sword and move and attack him. At one point he might run out of arrows and switch to a fast sword, which should do no damage.

Here some screens of my character.

[attachment deleted to save space]

Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 05:36:18 pm »

I managed to finish them off with a heavy armoured, sword wielding, critical happy warrior. My light armoured dagger/dodge char is still unsuccesful though.

I'm fighting the triari now, and they're quite tricky. I have no idea how I'll be able to defeat them with my dagger/dodge char, if I ever manage to get to them.

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 06:26:42 pm »

I'm fighting the triari now, and they're quite tricky. I have no idea how I'll be able to defeat them with my dagger/dodge char, if I ever manage to get to them.

They say that dodgers are overpowered... Smile

Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 06:53:40 pm »

Yeah maybe I'll get lucky. All I know right now is that I've been trying to kill the triari for over an hour and a half with the heavy char. GODDAMMIT.

I manage to kill the leader in 2 rounds, and even one of the 2 other guys, but I never have enough hp left to finish the last one.

Also, whilst fuming, I killed the arena master. And won the game. lol

I've got a save just before this one, with 70 skill points to spare. I put them all in sword in the screenshot.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:56:26 pm by Anonxeuix » Logged

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 07:08:07 pm »

Yeah maybe I'll get lucky. All I know right now is that I've been trying to kill the triari for over an hour and a half with the heavy char. GODDAMMIT.

I manage to kill the leader in 2 rounds, and even one of the 2 other guys, but I never have enough hp left to finish the last one.

Also, whilst fuming, I killed the arena master. And won the game. lol

I've got a save just before this one, with 70 skill points to spare. I put them all in sword in the screenshot.

Try leaving Sword at around 200 and put the rest in critical strike.

Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 07:41:08 pm »

I'll try again in the morning. Still can't kill them with that tactic^.

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 07:48:36 pm »

I'll try again in the morning. Still can't kill them with that tactic^.

I just killed them, took a few tries and a bit of luck, though. Use a meteor gladius and the balanced kopesh. Move towards the enemies and to the left when your turn comes up. Then attack them and thanks to your critical rate you should be able to kill them in one or two hits. You can either go for two regular attacks from the gladius, or four attacks with the kopesh. For the leader, whack him in the head and he will go down easily.

Good luck!

Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 08:22:50 pm »

THANK YOU OSCAR. I LOVE YOU.

Used those two swords and quickly defeated them. I was so focused on using the power attack on these guys, I forgot the simple basics!

Surprising how easy the other two battles after this one were. I won the demo finally. Smile

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 08:25:42 pm »

Congratulations! Grin Salute

Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 05:20:49 am »

It's nice how you guys designed some of the battles. I mean, if you just use your eyes a little, you'll see that the Triarii leader doesn't have any helmet. Of course this seems like an opportune moment to use aim vs head, since it's likely that our weapons skill are quite decent at this point and should be able to get some good hits in. Still can't fucking beat this one with my sword and shield build. Maybe I need a better sword since it takes me a while to kill the leader, even when getting hits on his head and knocking him down. While I'm trying to kill him, the other guys kinda make mincemeat out of me.

Many of the combat encounters are like a nice puzzle, fun stuff.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
JarlFrank
Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 09:28:41 am »

Oh gods this fight is so raping me.
Playing a girl with a two-handed spear and good dodging. Because the damn bowman always crits me, I've put on Ordu leather armor which protects well against the criticals. But now he always hits my arms, I lose my spear, and the swordfighter manages to come at me while I have no chance to keep him at bay with the spear. No matter what I do, the bowman always kills me. And if I manage to kill him, I don't have enough HP left to defeat the swordsman. Cry

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 09:30:09 am »

What are your stats?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: