Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Voice-acting?  (Read 5774 times)
DoesntExist
Apprentice

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2009, 02:13:49 am »

ZRPG kinda seems like an "old-school RPG" and as I remember, those placed in that category tended not to have much voice acting (at least the ones I played).  Honestly that is one of the reasons why I have played VTM so many times, the voice acting is movie quality and draws me in each time.  I mean, I will be interested in this game regardless but I have a question for the devs: will we see a decent amount of voice acting in the game, or is it scaled down to the bare minimum?  I understand DB is a smaller studio so I'm not expecting AP-style "120 hours of dialog."  I have realisitc expectations.

As far as the fanbase goes, IS voice acting a priority for you?
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:37:35 am »

Priority is always, always good gameplay, choices and consequences, good to excellent writing in everything, from dialogues to characters and quests.

Then comes the artistic vision, atmosphere, world building.

Then, level of polish ie having as less bugs as possible, removing obvious exploits and general functionality of the whole thing from code to interface.

Voice acting? Not even on the list. I would say having as much voice overs like Fallout did is more then enough.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
bhlaab
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:54:16 am »

Aaa, waste of good Budget.
DoesntExist
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:57:04 am »

I definitely agree, gameplay/excellent writing are the top qualities I look for as well.  Voice acting is an added bonus.
inhuman
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:59:48 am »

There will be plenty of voice acting. What, you thought all those "sounds" the zombies make are just that, "sounds"? They are talking. All the time. Only you don't understand because you haven't evolved like they did.

erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:42:56 am »

There will be plenty of voice acting. What, you thought all those "sounds" the zombies make are just that, "sounds"? They are talking. All the time. Only you don't understand because you haven't evolved like they did.

I hope we get to learn zombie language. This is really important to me.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Euchrid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:54:28 am »

^^Yes, Fallout mistakenly omitted rat diplomacy. Let's hope Double Bear do not repeat the dose with zombies Grin.

On voice acting: the thing is, for it to significantly add to the quality of a game, it needs to be really good. I've played far more games where poor, annoying, or repetitive voice overs have hurt rather than enhanced the experience. So, I consider VA a relatively low priority, especially for an indie game. It requires a high cost/time/skill outlay for at best modest gains. Having said that, if ZRPG were to have awesome voice overs, that'd be cool.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:13:03 pm »

casters inverse law of voice acting goes like this:

The less of it you have - the higher the chance its going to be good.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 02:33:50 pm »

In a game with an apparently considerable focus on social interaction, good voice acting could be a great thing and an important ingredient to make for a memorable experience. However, bad voice acting is one of the easiest ways to totally ruin the experience as well. If Brian and Annie have the necessary contacts (and monedas) to pull it off, great! If not, its probably best to stay away from voice acting alltogether.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Povuholo
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:41:48 pm »

Are there going to be 'confirmation sounds' for attacking/walking etc. as in Baldur's Gate, Jagged Alliance, Planescape Torment etc.('as you wish' or 'Right away' or whatever), or are the controlled characters silent as the player is when given orders in Fallout 1 and 2?
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »

Frankly, I'd prefer silent - that's the option I always pick in NWN 1 and 2, because as good as the voice packs sometimes are, they inevitably start getting on my nerves.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
Povuholo
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 06:41:48 pm »

Frankly, I'd prefer silent - that's the option I always pick in NWN 1 and 2, because as good as the voice packs sometimes are, they inevitably start getting on my nerves.
Yeah I agree it's probably better if they're silent. For this game, anyway.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 09:08:47 pm »

Yeah I agree it's probably better if they're silent. For this game, anyway.

Yep, I agree too.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
catmorbid

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 04:10:23 am »

Unless one has a big budget for voice-acting, one shouldn't do it. Nothing ruins a game more than horrible voice-acting. For smaller budget a partial voice-acting, ála fallout is a good option, but the key point is: if there is to be speech, make damn sure it's of superb quality, otherwise don't bother.

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"
CanadianWolverine
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 05:46:07 am »

Voice acting? Quality voice actors are hella cool but for games, I think its pretty low on the priority list if a game uses dialog in text at all, then its pretty interesting to just let my imagination do the voice acting ... in my head. What, you don't hear the voices too?  Evil

Music or ambient sounds to set to the mood by however are pretty up there on my list of priorities for a game if the game seeks to draw me into its imaginative world and allow me to get the juices flowing - soundtrack of my life. The beat gives me a something to measure with and my personal level (as a gamer) of in the groove improves - everybody get up and dance to the music! 8)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: