Iron Tower Studio ForumsOtherThe Reading LoungeMalazan Empire books : Steven Erikson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Malazan Empire books : Steven Erikson  (Read 18175 times)
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »

Ok, great. Ive started reading the third but i may skip onto fourth directly.

I dunno, I think the series works well in the order it was written. It's been some time since I read the early books but jumping straight to the fourth one might spoil a lot of stuff from book 3.
Nehan
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 05:04:21 pm »

Fantastic, fantastic series. Also, to echo :

The debut book is, well, debut - the whole world isn't that colourful and the writing is a bit sloppy at times. However, the second one 'gates of the house of the dead' is bloody fantastic.

Totally lurved 'Deadhouse Gates'.
oh snap. that's what happens when you read in your own language Salute

anyway, the sixth part ("Bonehunters") is definitely my favourite. the whole action
(click to show/hide)
as to the main story arcs:
genabackis 1st->3rd->8th
seven cities 2nd->4th->6th
5th and 7th in Lether - I consider it to be the worst  plotline, but the dialogues between Tehol and Bugg absolutely save the books.
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 10:04:33 am »

Yeah I think they flow pretty well, but I have a crazy memory.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 10:18:55 am »

Ive hit some of those spoilers. Hood`s leathery balls... that was not an easy piece of news to take.
But again, they seed a curiosity in me that will pull me back to the third one.
Its just that this whole thing about seven cities, Chain of Dogs, Coltaine, Duiker and Gesler and his crew was too damn interesting not to follow.

Which was not an easy thing to pull off after first two books.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 08:12:52 am »

Yep, that's why this mofo is on my top 5 list easily.  Complexity AND entertaining? Craziness I say.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 02:20:16 pm »

How many of these books are there? Looks like at least nine so far... Is the series complete? I sometimes prefer to wait till something's pretty much finished before I dive in.
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 02:25:23 pm »

How many of these books are there? Looks like at least nine so far... Is the series complete? I sometimes prefer to wait till something's pretty much finished before I dive in.

The next volume, The Crippled God, is the final one. Erikson's been churning these doorstoppers out on an annual basis, which is quite astonishing considering the scope of the project. His friend Ian Cameron Esslemont is writing another series (the first book of which is called The Return of the Crimson Guard) that tells what's happening elsewhere in the Malazan world.

Nehan
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 03:00:30 pm »

The ninth is out already? damn, I wonder when it'll be published in Poland.

the last one was veeeery slow up to the ending, which was brutally awesome.

(click to show/hide)
dx__
Neophyte

A Student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 12:10:53 am »

This is a series of books I keep meaning to read. I finished reading the Prince of Nothing trilogy a few months back, and have heard that if I enjoyed that series, I'd love the Malazan books. I was also told that I should drop reading Martin's song books, and go to Malazan. What do you think? Is it worth it? Do they compare well? I loved the PoN novels (except for the ending of the third book... I didn't like that one so much) and the Song books (the first three, though it's losing its appeal the deeper I get), so I'm wondering (I'm low on cash, and I need to figure out my Christmas books this year) if I should grab it.

Edit: Fixed it. I didn't like the way I wrote the original post. It didn't read well, I found.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:16:31 am by dx__ » Logged

-dx
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 02:36:26 am »

You shouldn't drop Martin if you're still reading the fourth book. Opinions on the quality of the three authors vary: some people hate Erikson and consider him to be a glorified Forgotten Realms novelist, others think Martin is the only competent author of the bunch etc. etc. I like them all for different reasons.

Malaz is very different in style to Bakker or Martin. It's like a high-level D&D campaign novel series, only with a good, extremely complex plotline and the most detailed and massive setting in epic fantasy. Erikson also has a vast imagination that is able to come up with very cool and creative concepts. Definitely give it a chance when you're done with ASoIaF.

Oh, and the first sequel to Prince of Nothing is out. It's called The Judging Eye. The overall reception has been rather lukewarm but I liked it very much. The plot doesn't make much progress but Bakker writes fascinating characters and developes his ideas further.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 06:56:51 am »

I hate bakker series, i find them totally unconvincing and very cheap.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 07:20:06 am »

Cheap? What do you mean?
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 09:58:10 am »

I also like Bakkar, or whatever his name is, and isnt there a new book on that?  I think there's 4 in that world setting now?  I could be wrong.  If there is a new one I read it though...

caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 11:08:45 am »

Cheap? What do you mean?
Well, setting aside obvious rehashing of Dune-crusadewars-bit of Tolkien theme mix i find his main protagonists are just a bunch of posers.
Especially the main character the almighty himself.
And the way he interacts with others and their reactions to him are infuriating.

The guys strolls in, says something more or less irrelevant and everyone bends over immediately. Women, men, children, goats.. makes no difference.
He is supposed to be someone who can influence others right?
Well his lines and their reactions make no sense whatsoever.

Which is especially obvious in his dealings with women  in the story.
He never says anything that would cause their reaction in a believable or even realistic way.

It goes like this:
He says something to some girl.
She then starts thinking and comes to completely unrelated conclusions that have nothing to do with what he just said and those conclusions are that she madly loves him and wants to have his babies.
Men do the same except they dont spread their legs immediately.
Its complete bollocks.

And he gets everything served to him by the writer himself, which is something i cannot stand.

SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 08:10:57 am »

I'd say your only half right and that you just have to BELIEVE that he knows these things and that manipulating people is that easy for him.  I don't see it as that far a stretch myself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: