Iron Tower Studio ForumsOtherThe Reading LoungeMalazan Empire books : Steven Erikson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Malazan Empire books : Steven Erikson  (Read 19071 times)
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2009, 09:25:46 am »

I just started reading them and im past half of the first "Gardens of the Moon".

So far its not bad at all. Its High fantasy with realistic bend to it.

The story of the first book revolves about old Emperor being killed and replaced with Empress who, while continuing to wage wars on different independent cities also attempts to kill off all former Emperor armies and key personnel in them.
Which seems kind of stupid and im hoping by the end it will be revealed it isnt so simple.

A few survivors of Fifth army called The Bridgeburners decide to turn the game against the Empress, led by  former general and now sergeant Whiskyjack. His companions are a former Claw (uber assassins of the Empire), a wizard named Quick Ben (has very interesting past) and few soldiers, healer and a young girl named Sorry who is actually being taken over by one of the Gods. But there are also Elder races in the play: Tiste Andu and their Lord  Anomander Rake, a warrior mage of great Elder power, floating on their small Moon from besieged city to besieged city, warring against the Empire; Tlan Imass an undead army working for the Empire and the Gods themselves using them all in their own duels.

Gods are in fact very powerful beings who ascended to new levels of power, some probably human once.
In this book the God conflict is between the Twins who govern luck and chance and God of Assassins and shadows.

The story is action packed, unbelievable magics are wielded constantly, demons are let loose on armies, there is a mage that escaped death by transferring his soul into a puppet which drives him insane and is turning him into one of the major dangers for everyone, etc etc.
Its all very bloody and grim and cruel even though its really, really fantastic.

Good enough to waste time on until "A dance with dragons" finally comes out.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Nehan
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:43:29 am »

It's one of my favourite book series. While it's full of magic, the setting is amazing and described thoroughly over thousands of years. The debut book is, well, debut - the whole world isn't that colourful and the writing is a bit sloppy at times. However, the second one 'gates of the house of the dead' is bloody fantastic.
arem
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:08:03 am »

One of most boring fantasy book series I have ever read.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:10:49 am by arem » Logged
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:47:22 am »

Thank you for that enlightening comment.
How about you explain why exactly and give some examples of ones you liked better in contrast?

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:58:25 am »

One of most boring fantasy book series I have ever read.

Idiot.  Seriously.  This series is complex and action packed.  Go read the Bourne books or something (Ok those were ok too, but you get the idea) you tool.  Ok..I'm a harsh fucker..just got home...
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 06:42:04 pm »

Finished the first one.
Moderately satisfied. mostly because of a few good characters such as Whiskyjack and his crew of malcontents, fishermen, road repairman or occasional bodyguards at noble parties.

Deep into second one now,..
Some further tangible reasons were provided for Empress decision to basically kill off most of hard core ex Emperor troops but it still seems a very rash move.

This one moves the story onto the territory of once free Seven cities that rebel against the empire. Basically a desert type, tribe - nomadic culture led by a female prophet.

The event itself is actually a convergence of several power plays on higher godlike levels, and prophet and her unleashed apocalypse play only a part in it.
Vast slaughters happen when rebelled population and various desert warriors burn and sack the cities killing any Malazan people there.  

Only in one city a Malazan newly appointed Fist manages to resist attacks and even save about forty thousand people and escape into desert
Then a long great trip begins where they not only retreat but constantly fight all the tribes and holy warriors at their heels, even inflicting loses, winning battles.

- which was all done in a very convincing way.

On the other hand, again, hilariously good small group of soldiers teaming with some other characters forced by events... have a... great part. Smile
Different characters this time, the crazy bastards all three of them, Corporal Gesler (role of the life for Hugh Jackman) and soldiers Truth and Stormy. I cant escape the feeling of Night watch in them Grin
They kinda all barely escape with their lives with a boat after much troubles and near death experiences and storm of sorcery (caused by a mage being overwhelmed by magic power in the battles all around) following them around on the sea for days.
With the overtaken mage still often visible in the clouds of unleashed raw power (actually a mages warren escaping his control and spilling all around into the world) - as a burned puppet trashing in the vortex.

Then they sink just before an old boat just standing there in some weird sludge on the ocean.
Then they go on a more interesting journey.
But, that deserves to be read. Smile
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:44:20 pm by caster » Logged

SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 02:56:31 am »

Keep reading man.  Great books, still can't believe I haven't got the newest one (Book 8 or 9?) but I have so many book backlogs and it came out in the UK first which is a bitch on shipping costs...good stuff.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14:15 am »

I like the Doggies.
;D

And the writer has some proper goddamn respect for Engineers.
Great, great miniature woven into the story.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:29:50 am by caster » Logged

SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:29 am »

Yeah he was an archeologist I believe, so makes sense.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:42:53 pm »

Fantastic, fantastic series. Also, to echo :

The debut book is, well, debut - the whole world isn't that colourful and the writing is a bit sloppy at times. However, the second one 'gates of the house of the dead' is bloody fantastic.

Totally lurved 'Deadhouse Gates'.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 08:17:16 am »

Finished it.

Does this story continues in other books in any way?
Things are left somewhat unfinished in regards to Apocalypse and new "reborn" Felisin. And pretty suddenly too.

And i quite liked the concept of Divers and Soletaken.

SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:23 am »

The main story arc is basically continued in all of the books, although in one book (Im not good with names...) they are on a totally new story...that merges with the main in the next book...man I really need to go order the new book now.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 11:01:12 am »

I meant specifically what happens with the prophet and the holy war and stuff.

Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 01:16:38 pm »

I meant specifically what happens with the prophet and the holy war and stuff.
That's continued in House of Chains (book 4). The third book, Memories of Ice, takes you back to the Genabackis continent where the first book took place. Both MoI and HoC are awesome.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 01:30:39 pm »

Ok, great. Ive started reading the third but i may skip onto fourth directly.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: