Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Infection and Armour  (Read 3751 times)
Stigandr
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:04:17 pm »

When encountering zombies how likely is it that a person would get infected, if a zombie lands an attack on you is it always an infectious bite? Or during some attacks do zombies claw or grab at you? 

Does wearing clothing or armour lower the chances of you getting the disease from a successful bite attack? Like being naked 100% chance if bite lands and wearing motorcycle jacket it is almost none if getting bitten on torso and arms area. Or is the chance of getting infected random?
mingoran
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:44:14 pm »

With a full leather coat that bikers use and an helmet should make you immune to zombie bits. Zombies aren't very strong and they can't sink their teeth into strong leather. It won't help much in a fight with other humans and if its damaged then Zombies should be smart enough to look for holes in your armor to reach your flesh.
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 03:48:47 pm »

Zombies aren't very strong

That depends on who you ask.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 03:40:55 pm »

When encountering zombies how likely is it that a person would get infected, if a zombie lands an attack on you is it always an infectious bite? Or during some attacks do zombies claw or grab at you? 

Does wearing clothing or armour lower the chances of you getting the disease from a successful bite attack? Like being naked 100% chance if bite lands and wearing motorcycle jacket it is almost none if getting bitten on torso and arms area. Or is the chance of getting infected random?

Zombies grab/claw, bite, and lunge primarily. Just getting bit does not mean you'll get infected. Armor reduces overall damage and can resist certain types of damage, which means that if you're fighting zombies, you'd want something that reduces bite damage. Abstracting that concept out a bit, armor tends to "fail" when your health gets low, meaning the character is more likely to have vulnerable areas, wounds, or fatigue that allows zombies to land a bite on the character's exposed flesh. Below a certain level of health, the risk of infection becomes a concern, and at very low health or if a character has passed out, the risk of infection is very high.
CanadianWolverine
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:59:19 am »

And the possibility of people becoming immune or "typhoid mary" aka carriers?

What type of zombie infection are we talking about here: magical/demonic, voodoo drugs, viral, bacteria, symbiotic influence, mutation, or psychic/mental affliction?

What are the vectors for infection?

What is the incubation period?

Once you know a bit more about what kind of zed you are dealing with, you would know better how to armor yourself from infection.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:18:35 am »

Tangential to what CW said, have you thought about the zombie sickness being a fungal infection?  Fungi can have pretty strange and varied effects, and it would also tie in with antibiotics and opportunistic infection.  It also has the advantage of being new and fresh, which is what the kids want.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Sin Slayers
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:17:12 pm »

Definitely some options for different Zombies depending on how exactly they spread the disease there, as CW said.

Armor.
Funnily i thought there wont be any armor in the game for some reason... i must have thought about it in terms of fantasy games or something... but hell, now that i think about it - in conditions like those there is even more opportunities to use "armor" of all kinds.

Wearing the... American football  helmet for example, would have great and very obvious use against zombie attacks, right?
Or any kind of tough jackets, ... it would be great if you could put layers of usual clothes and some good working jacket for harsh conditions over that and have resistance to clawing attacks for a time, each hit reducing the percentage or points - untill they shread it all off you. A kind of a medium temporary measure of protection you can use until you find or fashion something better.

Great role for a technician too. Any decent one should be able to fashion some better protection from usual clothes of above said kind and different things you can find. Like say - those protection plates and padds you have in the ... American football gear.
Only instead of wearing it yourself which is kind of  corny by now technician could  use those to padd some good jackets or trousers with them, or build a sort of chest armor like old Romans use to make.

And then you have the whole thing with the different military and police bullet proof vests.
If you find more then enough the tech guy can fashion other parts of protective clothes out of surplus.

And then you have a possibility to differentiate between armor that's better against zombies in a very natural and unobtrusive way - and armor better against human enemies, gunfire and melee weapons.

Though the two could overlap in some cases.
It goes well with the theme too since people would start to make (they would be simply forced to by circumstance) and use armor - first under threat of zombies and their types of attack.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
CanadianWolverine
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:57:35 pm »

On types of armor, I would like to suggest an outfit whose utility I have been thinking about being used in the event of something like the television show Mantracker: http://www.mantracker.ca/

Canadian Surfing Equipment

* Surfboards include the traditional surfboard, bodyboards, longboards, shortboards, wave skis, funboards, kneeboards, and surf mats.
    * Boardshorts or surf trunks
    * Neoprene wetsuits for surfing in Canada – available in long-john wetsuits, shorties, summer wetsuits, winter wetsuits, and drysuits.
    * Rash guards
    * Neoprene boots, shoes, gloves, and hoods for cold water Canadian surfing.

Those things are tight fit and very tough at least 5 mm of thickness (they go up to 7-8 mm if IIRC), which is very useful for slipping through the bush and staying dry but if you have to take dip in the water, no worries on hypothermia. You get near full body coverage. Though if you are dealing with well below freezing temperatures, your sweat can be a big problem. That is where I figure layering disposable clothing on top of it with plenty of pockets would come in handy, for that I would get Canadian military surplus clothing: http://www.army-surplus.ca/ - The stuff costs very little, like less than stuff picked up at Walmart and is way more durable. The water proof rack sack, webbing, and -40C below sleeping bag is good stuff too. If not that stuff, construction clothing is good stuff for its thread count and stitching: http://www.constructiongear.com/ - I really like my Carhartt stuff.  Construction steel shanked and toed ankle high boots (if I could figure out how to make them quieter and easier to climb in, even better - something to get the padding and grip surface of ninja boot qualities but something good for enviroments that leak or penetrate normal footwear), knee pads, work gloves, safety glasses (properly fitted) and safety helmets (fireman helmets are great too, don't like stuff down the back of the neck) are good stuff too. There are probably some rock climbing helmets that would work best though. 8)

For protecting my sensitive lungs and eyes, I would use a full face respirator - http://www.coleparmer.ca/catalog/product_index.asp?cls=7578 . Those standard disposable face masks are terrible at keeping stuff out of the eyes as I had found working for this one guy when I was just starting out with rough carpentry: water damage, "small" repair restorations, and pest clean up... he did death scenes too but I had enough before getting that far. Fungicide sprayed in the face and concrete/dirt dust from cutting (later learned there should have been a water attachment to reduce that significantly), ugh. Never again.  Wallbang

Protection against humans, I doesn't seem like it gets much better than this stuff, unless a exoskeleton body armor gets developed, it appears to be like a ceramic plated kevlar vest aka flack jacket but put together like scale mail (its like the love child of plate armor and chain mail) - Dragon Skin Body Armor: http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/ds-videos.php
But I'm not expert in ballistics and impact armor, so don't take my word for it, it just looks right for some reason in terms of enveloping the body protectively from multiple angles, seems like it would weight less and be more flexible to move in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: