Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Monday Design Update 11/9 - Endurance  (Read 5686 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:40:06 pm »

Last week's question was about what inessential item you'd willfully risk harm to find. Lots of good answers there. Along similar lines, this week I ask - how long could you hold out? That is, if electricity was out, stores were closed, and conditions outside were hazardous, how long could you survive where you are right now? What are the essential supplies that you have on hand and how long would they keep for before you would be willing to risk the dangers outside your dwelling (assuming you secured your location). Also, where is the first place you would go to try and get essential provisions?

This one has a catch that I will explain next week. And yes, these poll style updates are all going somewhere.

Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »

Not very long; we do the weekly shop on a Wednesday Wink.  After we've just been shopping, however, we'd have enough food to last us a little over a week; maybe two if we were stingy with the canned food.  That said, I'd be willing to risk leaving the security of my home fairly rapidly; chances are, any looting is going to take place a week or two after the event as people start getting desperate for food; if I can get some pasta and canned food in before then, we can last longer before having to venture outside.

That said, in the event of a zombie apocalypse the only survivors in this country would be farmers, gamekeepers and people who own their firearms illegally...

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
dukeofzill
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:34:30 am »

I would  last 3 days maximum.   I could probably fill the bathtub up with water before the taps stop working, however even that couldn't last more than a week.   My small stockpile of frozen food would have to be consumed within 2 days (1 day if the apocalypse happens during summertime).   In all honesty I am so ill prepared for a zombie apocalypse I would be forced to venture forth to do some looting by the second day.
Bjergtrold
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:46:38 am »

One week before the food runs out. Perhaps two if I'm strict. So I would venture out pretty early. It's a balance between knowing what's going on and wanting more supplies, and therefore between an assesment of the risks.
If I know there's an apocalypse, but have no idea how bad things are, or what is actually happening, I'd wait a lot longer... I'd need to get an idea of what was going and what I was getting myself into.
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 03:48:44 am »

I have about 24 cans of food so I suppose I could eat one a day, but that would sap my energy I imagine pretty well.  I'm about 50 feet from a major river though so I have water (Did I mention that where the river and land hits there's a marina full of boats?).  I'm pretty golden, go out, grab a boat and loot the places along the river.  God bless water and non-swimmy Zs.
Bjergtrold
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:50:02 am »

And just noticed I missed some of the question...

The first place I raid would most likely be a store. I know everyone would already have aimed for those places, but they'll have been held back the same way I was. So I'd take the gamble.
dr.newbenstein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:17:08 pm »

I live in Central Florida, we have about a month of canned food and water  for the hurricanes. There is also a dock on my property which connects to a rather large series of lakes and rivers, including some pretty fresh spring water. I also have a small garden and a handful of orange trees.  I would guess that our first real need would be medical supplies or vitamin supplements. There are three hospitals nearby but I would probably want to go to a veterinary clinic or something of that nature as I think they would be more likely to still contain supplies.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »

If I got down through all the food at my place, bulk and canned food included, I could probably last a good two weeks if I stretched things out...maybe even longer, especially if I started eating the cat food (but never the cats! Sad ). Water would be a much more significant immediate constraint. Even tho I live right on Lake Michigan, that water access would clearly require venturing outside - a low-risk trip if it's only 100 feet, maybe, but still a real risk. And for most people, water access would be far more difficult.
Bank
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:26:31 pm »

[My very first post. I could not resist. I have been following for a month or so.]

If I could have it play out the way I wanted, I would grab a backpack (canned food, cell phone, meds, weapons, cash ect) and head out with any family/friends during the first wave. The last place I want to be is surrounded by Zack in an infested city with no where to run when supplies run out. I would travel with as little people as possible until I made it to different places to stock up on necessary items. I would hope that Zack would be preoccupied with all the chaos and allow me the time to collect supplies. I would stay in open terrain, avoiding as much contact as possible considering Zack is slow enough to out walk. During the first wave I would feel safer moving around and would consider heading to a specific location. But I may just make my first trip to gas stations and pack the H3 Hummer with Gasoline, assuming it will be rare in the near future. From there I would want to get out of the city or go for a shelter. If Im headed for a shelter I dont think it would be a good idea to stay long. unless its an army structure with military defenses I would not be safe enough and I would just stay on the move. It may be better to only gather what you need and keep moving, always finding a safer place to be. Unless its family I would wait to make friends and recruit people because the more that time passes, the weak will die. The strong will remain, and hopefully I will be there to rally them up. By then, It may be smart to hold up in a safer place and initiate plans to survive. Hopefully winter is around the corner, i dont know...
mcgraves
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 12:18:41 pm »

Last week's question was about what inessential item you'd willfully risk harm to find. Lots of good answers there. Along similar lines, this week I ask - how long could you hold out? That is, if electricity was out, stores were closed, and conditions outside were hazardous, how long could you survive where you are right now? What are the essential supplies that you have on hand and how long would they keep for before you would be willing to risk the dangers outside your dwelling (assuming you secured your location). Also, where is the first place you would go to try and get essential provisions?

This one has a catch that I will explain next week. And yes, these poll style updates are all going somewhere.

I live in detroit and am attending the College for Creative Studies for Graphic Design. We're a bunch of art students with a very large amount of knowledge on zombie outbreaks haha as unlikely as they are, but our building is pretty well suited for such and we've actually had discussions on what we would do if it did occur.  Our building is 11 stories high and almost all doors function on a security system. We have school ID's that are required to open most of the doors here so zombies actually penetrating the building is highly unlikely. On the chance that they do, all the dorm rooms are located on the 7th floor and up meaning that the zombies would have to acquire a student ID, open 2 sets of locked doors with it, get into the elevator and go up (getting in and activating the elevator both require you to scan the ID) and then open another locked door to get to the actual dorms which ALSO require you to swipe the ID to get in haha so we're prettyyy well covered.

Being in detroit, we have a lot of stores in the area as well as tall and abandoned buildings for supplies and setting up temporary 'bases'.  There are around 10-15 gas stations within a reasonable walking distance of our building where we can get basic food/snack supplies such chips, soda, easy mac, cigarettes, alcohol etc. If these resources become unusable there are also a few convenience stores in the area ie. CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens you name it. So they would have a decent amount of meals with more sustenance as well as frozen goods.  We were all suggested to bring a fridge to our dorms so almost every room has 1 fridge if not 2 to keep perishable goods in.

As far as time... To get things we wouldn't necessarily need such as cigs, twinkies, electricity, cars etc. I probably wouldn't leave at all. There's a point where your mind and body just switch into survival mode and you don't give a fuck!  You're barricaded in a dorm building for days, weeks, months, years on end and you just have to think... Leaving this building could mean death, I know I'm craving a cigarette right now but my life is not worth a pack of reds haha. For items that you require to stay alive such as water and food, I would leave whenever it's necessary. Assuming that the water to the building still functions that shouldn't be an issue, just keep empty bottles on hand to bottle and give to other people, although after staying there for a prolonged period of time, maybe the water company stopped working. The food situation is trickier. Being the nerdy art kids we are, we decided the smartest thing to do would be to pile all our snacks and food from all the floors into one collection allowing for everyone to keep 1 personal food item for themselves. Then from there the food would be rationed until gone. When the food supply has officially ran out (although we would probably do this ahead of time to be cautious) we would take groups of people, armed of course, and have small excursions to nearby stores known to have food. For a small group of 4-5 a basic load of groceries can last up to a week and a half of rationed correctly, but we would be dealing with 4 floors of students with 2 students per room and roughly 25-35 students per floor meaning we're dealing with 140 people. We'll call it 200 for safe measures. So that's 40 'basic loads' of groceries per week. If we sent out 10 people at a time 2-3 times a week to gather as much food and supplies as possible I'm pretty sure we'd be set. This food would then be brought back to the main pile and rationed to all residents.  We would also compile a list of 'non-essentials' before leaving. Things like cigarettes, a certain brand of soda, decorations for dorm rooms etc. 

oh and in before tl;dr :]
Bjergtrold
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 05:48:55 pm »

That's all well and nice, but don't you think the electric lock on the doors will be useless? And water from the tap? A bit optimistic. Also, 200 people in a small area? You'd run out of food fast... those local stores would be empty faster than you can scream "Who the **** ate the last Twinky!?".
Shemar
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 10:47:11 am »

I would last very little as most of the food usually in the house requires refrigeration. I would be out for provisions at the very first instant though; no real sense waiting until you run out.

My first priority would be a gun store. Get something with good stopping power but not too heavy and with enough ammo. Then a hardware store for a generator. Something low power/low consumption and as quiet as possible. Then gas. Then the grocery store where I am no longer limited to non perishables during my first run. Get as much meat as my fridge would hold and fill the rest of my car up with water.

Millions of us happily play games and interact with friends while somehow managing to resist going on a murderous rampage. Fuck knows how we resist that particular temptation, but we do. Makes for a shit story though and it won't sell you many newspapers. 'Man Plays Video Game and Smokes Some Weed, Has Pretty Good Time Actually' does not sell copies.
CanadianWolverine
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 06:05:11 am »

How long would I hold out? Once I had a firm grasp on the situation, I wouldn't hold out at all, I would pack it up, empty the bank account, use every last cent on supplies I didn't already have and move into an area with which I had three things firmly already researched: remote, a small community with a history of being trust worthy, and potable water available. If I am not close to my neighbors now, I see no reason to believe I would become closer to them when the power goes out and trucks stop rolling up to the super market with supplies. First place I go to spend the last available dollars while they were still worth something would be somewhere like Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, or anything else with manual tools and supplies for the gathering, nurturing, and storing of food and the construction of appropriate, hidden defenses from the resources available in the enviroment - this means I would go inside the earth and above it. I do not want to be involved with looting, far too dangerous, and I need to secure water, food, and shelter in defensible position ASAP because the clock is ticking on the seasons and their storms. Having a hide out and supplies prepared before hand is unfortunately not an option, I simply am too poor but I can develop the knowledge and skill sets at least through public libraries. I basically try for a survival related gift to myself once a year to assuage my paranoid always be preparedness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: