Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Monday Design Update 11/2 - Worth It  (Read 24669 times)
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 06:54:00 am »

But thats not completely unnecessary for survival Smile

Quote from: caster
Try surviving without it.

Two words:  coffee filters 
Not a bad idea there, better than a piece of rock anyway and i dont use filters to make my coffee.

If anybody wondered what i would do with a small battery fan...

I would wait until my shelter was under a siege of deaders and just when they would roll towards us and all my people would turn to look at me high on the ramparts with fear and panic, sweaty hands squeezing weapons, i would pull it out, set it on the fence turn it towards the mass of zombies advancing and turn it on ... then grin as maniacally as i can.

Moral booster man.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
E-N
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 08:28:38 am »

Until last night's dinner I thought there was nothing I'd risk getting, until I reached for the worsteshire sauce.
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:52 pm »

Until last night's dinner I thought there was nothing I'd risk getting, until I reached for the worsteshire sauce.

^

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Imbecile
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 12:52:59 pm »

Warm clothing and a comfy pair of shoes.
Fosse
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 12:31:19 am »

Condoms.  Personally, I wouldn't hold out too much hope that I'd need them... I'm only so charming even when I'm properly fed and bathed.  But a shelter full of people who have limited options and a need to escape.... they will sleep with each other.

Something that helps avoid pregnancies and debilitating or discomforting diseases would be nice.  Realistically, we don't want a pregnancy that sidelines a useful person, and then later produces an incredibly useless person.  The time for babies is after we've successfully secured a reasonable level of long term safety.  And spreading a horrifyingly uncomfortable disease through the group will destroy morale and exacerbate the social strains that the sex will surely bring with it.

So I'd stick my neck out for a large supply of condoms for the shelter.
dr.newbenstein

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 09:31:07 pm »

Assuming I've reached a point where I'm not starving to death or in dire need of some particular supply, I would always be on the lookout for recreational drugs and easily carried creature comforts. Pretty much anything you could find in a pharmacy, from caffeine and aspirin to methadone to toothpaste. Look at what people in jail will go through to get simple things, and I'm not just talking about Pruno.
Argence
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 09:35:43 am »

My first order of business would be to raid a library, knowledge would greatly aid survival and I love to read. Since any sane person would be holed up somewhere safe, you'll need them to keep you mind occupied. I hate not having anything to read.
"I cannot live without books." - Thomas Jefferson
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:37:25 am by Argence » Logged
Jakkar
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 10:36:47 am »

I could list another random commodity, though I have difficulty thinking of anything beyond food and water that would qualify for me - I live fairly minimally. I daresay if there was any kind of internet left running, some smaller network a group of government-science survivors had managed to rig up to disseminate information and maintain long distance communications, I'd go to some lengths to ensure connection to my region and have the suitable equipment in the base.

Post-internet is also quite an atmospheric feature, I feel - a hacked up, minimal visuals information database where names have ceased to matter and slightly cheesy/self deprecating aliases are the word of the day, and people sit each day refreshing the news after running the bicycle-powered generator for a few minutes, gritting their teeth in dismay when they count the days and realise Survivagirl's diary hasn't uploaded for three weeks.. Another survivor commune fallen? Soon you'll be able to count the East Coast bases still broadcasting on your fingers.

But I'm not going to list a commodity. I think I'd go out regularly, for whatever I thought of at the time. For example ENDLESS ROLLS OF DUCT TAPE! ... And so much mouldable plastic.. And lots of paper for sketching on.. And random objects I feel some nostalgia for.

Not because I need any one of these items to survive, but because living life based purely upon your needs is absolutely no fun. Surviving is not living - I'd enjoy the challenge of getting out there regularly and scavenging the ruins, and I'd accept the risk. Some backup would be handy, admittedly.
mcgraves
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 12:28:23 pm »

These are in no particular order

-Coffee indeed
-Cigarettes (they can also be used as a bargaining chip even if you don't smoke)
-Lighters (cuz you need them for your cigs duh)
-Alcohol & Weeds (being sober 100% of the time you're surviving would suck, besides if survival isn't enough of a stimulator for the girls to have sex with you, some kush and a fifth of fruity vodka is haha)
-Batteries (a ton of things run on batteries and the electricity won't run for too long once the electricity plant shuts down from infection)
-Paper (it's good fro burning, writing, sketching and a whole lot more)

I'm sure there's more but my brain hurts
DDToxic
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 05:55:36 pm »

Hmm...interesting how much people tend to use Drugs in a Zapocalypse i mean you don`t wannna be on a full LSD trip when Zombies attack???

Toothpaste - Toothbrush  because i am sure there is no dentist...
and yeah i would go for Coffee, too i cannot survive the day without
and a towel never leave the house without it ;-)
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 06:20:39 pm »

Good towel, yeah.. saves the head. How could have i forgotten it...?

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
DDToxic
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 02:28:23 pm »

Yeah HOW could you ;-)
ceson
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 06:06:19 am »

Being attacked by Zombies while tripping on LSD would actually be a cool random encounter. Tongue

I think I'd go out of my way to find some tabletop games. A bit of Diplomacy or Axis & Allies and a day in a ad-hoc bunker seems so much more manageable. Smile
leeratsin
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 04:32:34 pm »

a chessboard.. no energy needed, anyone can play. *given time* and it stimulates the brain.. i'd go out of my way for this old game anyday..
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 04:34:25 pm »

You don't even need a chess set; if you really want to, you can just draw pieces on scraps of paper, and draw a board on another scrap of paper.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: