90+ Great. - 46 (74.2%)
80-89 Good. - 13 (21%)
70-79 Ok. - 2 (3.2%)
60-60 Medicore. - 1 (1.6%)
Less than 60-Bad. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Deus Ex  (Read 38089 times)
Gregorus Prime

Look, he's just this guy, you know?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 02:52:19 pm »

Just because you find Fallout 3 charming (even if only in some sections), doesn't mean it's charming.
Fallout 3 wasn't all that bad, Go back and troll at nma with all the other emo 30 year olds.

This isn't 4chan, you know. Watch it.
beans
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 03:24:54 pm »

Back on topic, gave deux ex 10/10.

Reason: It's awesome.
SnallTrippin

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 03:53:10 am »

And back off topic: Fallout 3 was an ok, fun if you didn't take it at all seriously, game...but it wasn't really an RPG...or it was a horrible, horrible RPG.

Also Deus Ex - 90% even with some problems.  Great game.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 04:27:20 am »

Deus Ex is one of my all-time favourite games. And one of the games I felt really delivered on "role playing" (moreso than the majority of "pure" RPGs). I give it a 90%.

It's also the largest direct inspiration for SoW and proof that an "action" RPG can most definitely be stong on the roleplaying aspects.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
34s Cell
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 04:38:16 am »

Action RPG? The game is a shooter, granted it has some of the finest roleplaying experiences ever.

"I'm an asshole"
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 05:34:46 am »

By "action-RPG" I don't mean "diablo-clone". I mean an RPG with "action" elements. That obviously defines a decent range of games.

No one will be able to convince me it wasn't an RPG. It had "shooting", yes, but it was first and foremost an RPG in my mind, whatever anyone says.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
quasimodo

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 11:07:49 am »

I really don't like the FPS/RPG genre.  The impact of my lack of player skill on this type of game pretty much always ruins the RPG aspects of the game for me. 

That said I actually managed to finish Deus Ex.   (I suppose given my level of distaste for the genre this amounts to high praise.)
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 01:47:26 pm »

I really don't like the FPS/RPG genre.  The impact of my lack of player skill on this type of game pretty much always ruins the RPG aspects of the game for me. 
Yeah, and if you're like me, who manages some nice airborne headshots in UT98 even today, it also ruins the whole game, because it's pretty much powergaming over choices and consequences.

suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 01:56:34 pm »

Yeah, and if you're like me, who manages some nice airborne headshots in UT98 even today

You mean UT99? Tongue
quasimodo

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 02:25:23 pm »

Yeah, and if you're like me, who manages some nice airborne headshots in UT98 even today, it also ruins the whole game, because it's pretty much powergaming over choices and consequences.

Actually I am pretty much incapable of making any kind of realtime headshot (except sniping), and there in lies the problem.  Unless I am willing to roleplay someone creeping around avoiding all combat I don't get much roleplaying done.  I mostly just sit there cursing at the keyboard while MY fingers get my chracter killed. 

I actually managed to get quite a lot of fun out Thief as I was playing a character who crept around avoiding real time combat.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 02:47:07 pm »

Yeah, and if you're like me, who manages some nice airborne headshots in UT98 even today

You mean UT99? Tongue
It thought it was 98. Well, anyway, the game is only called Unreal Tournament, without a date. Yeah, I mean that. I was pretty skilled a few years ago, but the I started playing more tactical FPSs and with the advent of the easy-FPSs like... well, like all of them nowadays, I lost a bit of touch. I still play FEAR online from time to time, and it's good fun.

If you're struggling in any kind of FPSs, I recommend the following, as an experienced FPSer.
- If you're used to sit in your computer chair in the right way (aka upright back, horizontal arms and so on), try leaning forward a bit (some chairs are better for this than others, generally any one that doesn't support your lumbar region is good) and put your feet (and lower legs) in a way that's hard for you to move them if you innadvertedly try to during gameplay (crossing my lower legs works great for me, but I sometimes spread them and put them under the desk).
- The way your arms are is crucial for FPSs. It doesn't matter how used to a certain position you are, and while you may play fairly well in any other position, due to habit, it's ALWAYS better if you have both your hands at the same level (keyboard and mouse), and as symmetrical to your body as possible. This (and the previous point) is to prevent you from becoming self-conscious about your body. Also, if possible, spread your arms so that your hands are just a bit off your shoulder width, and it's not good that they are very close to the screen, height-wise. Around your belly is a good position, as it also helps with circulation and so on (also, be sure that your arms are comfortable - they will possibly be being supported by your hands alone, and that's a good thing - so that there are no complications from extender periods of time).
- Get your left hand used to the keyboard. Know where each key is and learn to assign each finger to a certain number of keys, including key combinations. This is mainly a matter of habit, since different people have different hands, but for a man with manly hands like myself, use the following guide-line: middle finger is used for W and S, for control, also used for 2 and 3 when forwards/backwards control isn't needed. Index finger is primarily used for D, but also many other support keys, very important, mostly F, E, R, T, G, C, V, B and sometimes X (when your only using A, W and/or X for directional control). Ring finger is usually hard to master, and is used only for a few keys, but may require training to be controlled with effectiveness: it's used for A, for directions, and Q; also 1, and 2, sometimes; also don't forget the upper left key of the keyboard (console key, changes depending on the language), tab-key and caps lock. The little finger is very important for shift (pressed with the tip of the finger) and control (pressed with the palm of the finger). It's also important to support the hand on most keyboards, along with the thumb. The thumb is generally on the space bar, but is also used on the alt key and the windows key. All fingers are used all over the keyboard, depending on what you need.
- Use the mouse in a way that you can move it as much as possible WITHOUT moving your wrist. Supporting your right hand on the arm isn't very good when playing, albeit being better healthwise. Don't forget that each button of the mouse is pressed by a different finger. The left and right buttons, I mean. The scroll butten is generally used by the index finger, or the middle finger if you're using the left button. The thumb is reserved for additional buttons, or picking up he mouse. Be sure NOT to use any mouse with additional buttons on its left side if your used to using the thumb to pick up the mouse, as you'll be pressing those additional buttons all the time.
- Use as better a mouse as possible (optic mouse is a MUST, you CANNOT play FPSs with a ball mouse) to allow for more precision with small moves, so you don't have to use a slower configuration, that would require you to move the mouse more. Remember: the less you move your mouse, the better. Also, I find mouse acceleration quite helpful, but that's a matter of taste.
- Learn to pick up the mouse when you can't bend your wrist anymore, instead of moving it to the side endlessly. That's not good at all, and you WILL run out of table.
- Don't look too much at your crosshair when playing. Learn to look all over the screen and moving your mouse only to allow you to see stuff that's outside the screen. Move the mouse to put the crosshair where you want it, and not to look at where you want to look. Also, learn to memorize where your crosshair is in the screen (the center, duh), so you can easily and intuitively aim it at where you want. Inexperienced players will actively look for their crosshair when their trying to aim. This cannot happen. In time, you will learn to play WITHOUT a crosshair in most FPSs Smile It's actually pretty awesome.
- Using strafe is a must in most FPSs. It's advantage is sometimes misunderstood, however: it's imperative that you use strafe to simulate head (and arm) movement that is independent from where you're heading. Strafe is very good to do those run-towards-over-there-and-shoot-towards-your-half-flank. It's also very good to use when your running alongside a wall, for example.
- Jumping and strafing is also very important (also crouching) online.
- Never forget to reload before possible action. DO NOT make an habit of always reloading after each burst, as you'll end up finding yourself reloading and an enemy opening fire on you. Remember: the ammo clips are usually large enough. Also, save ammo whenever possible. A precise shot is much better than a burst, most of the times.

quasimodo

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 07:57:41 pm »

Wow.  I'm not sure there are any FPSish games worth that kind of effort, but I think I'll copy this and put it aside for the future.  You know when nobody is making TB games at all, not even indies. 
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 08:05:08 pm »

I'd beg to differ, but it depends on one's tastes.  I rather like SWAT 3 and 4, which are both fairly slow paced and in which you're expected to try and arrest crooks instead of simply killing them, as well as the Rainbow Six series.  Vegas is a little more arcadey, but still rewards planning over quick reflexes (especially on the highest difficulty, which I'm playing through now), though being reasonably accurate with the mouse certainly helps.  Bloodlines is very similar to Deus Ex in concept - an FPS/RPG combi in which both the player's skills and the character's skills are important.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
quasimodo

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 10:23:59 am »

Yeah.  VtM:B is great.  I finally managed to finish it last month.  I've always loved the atmosphere, but the FPS gameplay made me quit everytime I tried to play it.  I finally just used the console commands to go into god mode for the boss battles.  Once I managed to skip the combat it was a lot of fun.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 11:09:40 am »

Hand to hand combat in bloodlines is pretty ok. In fact, it's so ok, oposed to ranged, that i only finished it once with a ranged character Tongue I actually enjoyed playing it with a ranged character, but's not an experience I'd like to repeat. I much prefer stealth.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: