Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Good zombie media?  (Read 10295 times)
Starwars

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:08:27 pm »

Since the announcement of ZRPG, my interest in zombie media has become somewhat rekindled and I'm gonna look for good books, movies or even other games featuring zombies. Figured we could have a thread here to share tips and whatnot, and maybe DoubleBear can find some stuff for inspiration as well.

Something I'd like to recommend are Max Brooks' books, World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide. I haven't finished the Guide yet, but I think WWZ is pretty good at painting different scenes and providing different outlooks on the outbreak. The characters are slightly over the top (may be a good thing), but some of their stories are quite memorable, and I could easily see a NPC in a RPG relaying similar stories to the player. Or in some cases, the player experiencing them personally.

Also, while I didn't care that much for the film overall, Diary of the Dead had some interesting tidbits here and there how the media could be handled in the present day. In the film, news did report on the outbreaks but tries to play it down. And obviously the internet becomes the main place to look for information, with people uploading info and videoclips of the happenings. I liked that part of the film, and I think the "home video" angle could've worked really well for the zombie genre, but I didn't feel the characters and the acting was particularly convincing.

Anyone else?

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
E-N
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:30:59 pm »

I'm glad someone made this thread, but must we limit our selves to just zombie media? What about post-apocalyptic media?

Anyways I suggest the book Day By Day Armagedon by J. L. Bourne. Great zombie novel written like a diary from the point of view of a off duty army person (I think he was a marine).

I also suggest the comic book series The Walking Dead, it's with Image Comics. The series has been around for about for 5 years and is nearing issue 65ish. You can find paperback collections of the all older issues in almost any big book store.

Again, World War Z is still the top zombie novel in my eyes. I highly recommend it.
ninjelephant
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:00:47 am »

Zombie movie!!

Its pretty funny Grin

I used to do drugs..
I still do, but I used to too.
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:49:49 am »

E-N, thanks for the suggestions, will check them out.

I think post-apocalyptic media might be a little off-topic, but maybe we can include apocalyptic stuff (stuff set *during* the apocalypse), whether it be zombies or not. Smile

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Kappa
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:49:45 pm »

I guess I will go for Post Apocalyptic Lit, as I have found most "Zombie Lit" to be pretty lacking... Just a personal opinion.

Myself and others have talked about The Road, but I won't pass up another opportunity to recommend it. It is simply put the best post apocalyptic writing I have ever read. I don't know how the movie will pan out, but do yourself a favor and read the book. In my opinion, a perfect book and will be important and even studied in the future.

Another great one brought up a lot around here is A Canticle for Leibowitz. I personally don't think it is as well written as some of the other works out there, but it makes up for it with some really interesting issues that get dealt with. The religious angle to me is really interesting and helps me overlook some other parts of the book.

Finally, a personal favorite that I don't think is very popular is Lucifer's Hammer. It is pretty uneven and kind of hokie, but one of the first "Sci-Fi" books I remember reading, so I always have a soft spot for it.

E-N
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:23:17 pm »

Oh Kappa! The road is one of my favorite books. I highly recommend that as well. The movie version will be out next month.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

UbAh
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:06:51 am »

"The colony" is one worth checking out

for something just as uplifting and feel good as the road was watch "the day after"

I mentioned "Blindness" before and it has some good extreme situations for a collapsing society driven by fear.

Also worth looking at are true accounts and stories set in the dust bowl and great depression, this helps show how people can react in times that could be said to them to be apocalyptic.  The memory of those times in combination with cold war fun is why the US has a love affair with apoc and post-apoc.
Flop
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 06:11:28 pm »

If you liked the home video aspect of Diary of the Dead, I'd recommend a Spanish movie called [REC]. The film is seen through the camera of a Spanish film crew, doing a program on a group of fire fighters, and it's a lot better Diary of the Dead (which I actually thought was ok, compared to Romero's last efforts).

I'd also like to second the recommendation for the Walking Dead, it's a great comic book series. A tv station called AMC is supposedly going to do a tv series based on it, so when/if that comes out, I'm sure that'll be worth checking out, too.
pnutz
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:29:43 am »

I'll second [REC]. It's wonderfully claustrophobic and ratchets up well. The fast zombies were especially unnecessary being as there was no place to go, but it's a minor quibble. Avoid the American remake.
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:29:24 am »

Thanks for the [Rec]ommendation (ohoho). I had heard about it before but not seen it, gonna watch it tonight maybe.

EDIT: OK, watched [Rec]. Very very good, a few scenes were really scary. Thanks for the recommendation, I really enjoyed it. And I'd like to recommend it in turn to anyone who haven't seen it. It's definetely a "spook coming out of the closet" movie, with little focus on other stuff, but it does it what it does extremely well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:18:43 pm by Starwars » Logged

FedericoV
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 08:18:19 am »

I second The Walking Dead's suggestion. The work of Kirkman One of the best z-media out there and a great graphic novel in its own.

Moreover, there's going to be a tv series based on the comic next year (it fhte pilot works, off course).
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 11:05:52 am »

I'll second [REC].

/added to Netflix queue
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 12:57:24 pm »

I haven't seen Rec, but Quarantine (the American remake) is also well worth watching.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
UbAh
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:42:22 pm »

No zombies in it, but discovery is showing a marathon of "the Colony" on Tuesday sept 22nd.
DDToxic
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 06:04:58 pm »

Zombieland it`s not scary more funny but A WOW Nerd survives the zapocalypse
with his set of rules,priceless

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: