Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Of Doors, Locks, and Traps...  (Read 96021 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:00:44 pm »

Since this topic came up several times recently, here is something to show how these things work in-game. It's not polished yet, so keep in mind that these quickly taken screens show mechanics and nothing else.

So, you see these doors. You have three options, but for now let's examine the first two.

[attachment deleted to save space]
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:01:57 pm »

3 different options based on your lore. You see where this is going. Let's examine the lock now.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:06:14 pm »

3 different options again. Let's try to pick the lock now.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:07:45 pm »

Oh-oh...

Rohit_N
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:28:26 pm »

Very nice. I'll definitely have to pay attention to lore.
Samurai Jack
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:21:06 pm »

http://www.muslimheritage.com/day_life/default.cfm?ArticleID=188&Oldpage=1

Wink
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:47:59 pm »

Good stuff. Very good stuff.

Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 10:34:56 pm »

Why bother trying to unlock the door, when you can climb the rubble and jump over the wall? Roll Eyes

And shouldn't his face be bloodied? And why is the pool of blood in the wrong place?

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 10:43:08 pm »

Why bother trying to unlock the door, when you can climb the rubble and jump over the wall?

You got us there!

And shouldn't his face be bloodied? And why is the pool of blood in the wrong place?

Oh, sorry, we forgot those really important details for a true rpg Salute

Tongue

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:59:06 pm »

Because you're indoors and because it's too much effort for only one death sequence Tongue.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:34 pm »

Cool beans men. Very cool.
I think i will be returning to those doors many a time.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 06:03:24 am »

I take it the writing is a mockup, so I'm not going to comment that. I like the mechanics. What isn't clear to me from the example is if there is a synergy between being proficient at the lore (examining the mark) and examining the keyhole (lockpick)? Also I hope insta-death isn't the standard trap effect - I don't like forced reloads as a mechanic to close paths.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:52:03 am »

I take it the writing is a mockup, so I'm not going to comment that.
I'm always grateful for good criticism, so please do.

What isn't clear to me from the example is if there is a synergy between being proficient at the lore (examining the mark) and examining the keyhole (lockpick)?
No. Two different ways to open the door (if you don't have the key).

Also I hope insta-death isn't the standard trap effect - I don't like forced reloads as a mechanic to close paths.
Well, if you can trigger a trap and live, both traps and the disarm skill become kind of meaningless, especially if you have healing balms. That's why most traps are lethal. There are 3 ways to open the door. Only lockpicking will trigger the trap (unless you disarm it first), so it's not something that's forced on you.

Overall, if you like getting into places that are locked to keep people like you out, you should invest into disarm. Word of wisdom and all that.

@ Jedi: You are in-door. This isn't a short wall you can climb. Like all AoD in-door walls, it's floor-to-ceiling. What you see is the isometric "cut". As for the dead body, it's a standard "dead" model. We don't have custom ones for special occasions.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 09:02:31 am »

I'm always grateful for good criticism, so please do.

Wasn't going to say anything, but since you asked : Please don't write that the door is "awe-inspiring". Generally, forcing a feeling on the player is bad, better to describe how it looks and let them choose whether they are impressed. It's like saying "you see a beggar, and feel sympathy for the poor fellow". Forcing the player character to experience something breaks the roleplay a bit, unless it's mind magic or something.

But more than than, I knew it was a trap the minute you said that the lions were awesome and "unusually large keyhole". It's too obviously a setup. If that was your intention, cool. Otherwise, I'd make it more subtle.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:11:01 am by Gareth » Logged

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:06:31 am »

I'm just going to go ahead and criticize the writing because that's what I do and I'm not shy about it.

Drop the "awe-inspiring", but especially "awe-inspiring lions who have seen better days".  You cannot inspire awe and be a hobo at the same time.  Why would the size of the keyhole be unusual on doors described as massive?  If it were really huge, like big enough to put my hand inside, I wouldn't think it was a keyhole at all.

Suggested text:

Before you are a pair of massive bronze doors emblazoned with two winged lions.  Perhaps intended by the artisan to inspire awe, they have now been all but effaced by the passage of centuries.  The only clues to passing this portal are a large keyhole and a barely visible symbol.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: