Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Create your character  (Read 70458 times)
MidnightSun
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2011, 08:55:38 AM »

Mighty Vahhabyte - master of arms,

I come to you with a question. You've been owning up the demo. How viable are secondary weapon option? My idea of a build was to make an assassin (Per 6) who would carry a crossbow with but one bolt, save that for his primary target and charge in with a club as needed. Basically fire a bolt before closing in to melee. But as I tried to do that I realised that my crossbow skill is just too low, even to use it as a "maybe it will hit, if it doesn't that's fine" option. The problem is that I chose a club as main weapon, which gives no synergy for the crossbow, hence that skill is very low. I thought that an average guy would still have a decent chance to hit as crossbow is generally considered an "easy to use" weapon, but the to hit chance was at 5 percent.

Obviously I need to invest more points. Have you ever tried throwing an axe before charging in with your barbari? What would make this build viable? Is it worth investing into a secondary weapon?

Also a question to Vince. I saw in your playthrough that an assassin starts with a crossbow (great idea to give equipment on background by the way, big fan of that). Does he have other means of defence besides the Critical Strike option? I imagine my club-loving murderer would be pretty fucked if he has to go one on one against the guard with his 5 % hit chance and I fully intend on doing that lol Just really love the option of not saying anything and reloading your crossbow like a cold blooded murder should. Don't ask, get the job done attitude. Smile

So, can you get some sort of other weapon that would suit your skill-set more or should I invest more points into crossbow at the beggining?
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »

Also a question to Vince. I saw in your playthrough that an assassin starts with a crossbow (great idea to give equipment on background by the way, big fan of that). Does he have other means of defence besides the Critical Strike option? I imagine my club-loving murderer would be pretty fucked if he has to go one on one against the guard with his 5 % hit chance and I fully intend on doing that lol Just really love the option of not saying anything and reloading your crossbow like a cold blooded murder should. Don't ask, get the job done attitude. Smile

You get another weapon based on your highest melee skill.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:6 P:8 I:10 Ch:4 Th 6 Bl 8 CS 5

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »

Mighty Vahhabyte - master of arms,

I come to you with a question. You've been owning up the demo. How viable are secondary weapon option? My idea of a build was to make an assassin (Per 6) who would carry a crossbow with but one bolt, save that for his primary target and charge in with a club as needed. Basically fire a bolt before closing in to melee. But as I tried to do that I realised that my crossbow skill is just too low, even to use it as a "maybe it will hit, if it doesn't that's fine" option. The problem is that I chose a club as main weapon, which gives no synergy for the crossbow, hence that skill is very low. I thought that an average guy would still have a decent chance to hit as crossbow is generally considered an "easy to use" weapon, but the to hit chance was at 5 percent.

Obviously I need to invest more points. Have you ever tried throwing an axe before charging in with your barbari? What would make this build viable? Is it worth investing into a secondary weapon?

As you probably know from AoD skill calculator, Throwing skill is now connected to melee weapon skills - that encourages combining ranged (to be specific, throwing) and melee weapons, especially for builds specialized in dagger or spear. Also, if your Perception is higher you will have your bonus THC. Additionally, if you develop Bow or Crossbow skills you get extra points in Dagger and Sword.
I played a 4 Str Crossbow using mercenary, and he was also very effective with daggers - due to his high CS skill.

... and, to answer my own question, this build can kill everything breathing in he beta:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:18:13 PM by Vahhabyte » Logged

Good people disobey bad laws.
MidnightSun
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40:01 AM »

What do you think about this for crossbow/hammer build?

Does this look good or should I distribute more points into crossbow? I was also toying with the idea of having 7 STR and 8 CON, but upon testing this in combat demo high strength build seemed just a little bit more powerful. I wanted to have a character who could talk his way out of stuff once in a while, but chose 7 INT instead of 7 CHA. It sounds plausible, that's more skill points to put into social stats, but in my calculations, the investment will only pay off after 80 or so points. Lore skill looks higher than I want it to be (definitely not a primary skill for my bulky assassin). Maybe I should invest points from it to Persuasion.
Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 11, 2011, 04:50:39 AM »

The. Ultimate. Warrior.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:18:04 PM by Vahhabyte » Logged

Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »

A new uber-warrior was created and tested. Perception could be lowered by 2-3 points without undermining the build's combat abilities considerably
(click to show/hide)

Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 03, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »

Another cool thief/crafter/fighter
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1376.msg78338.html#msg78338

Azthor
Apprentice

S: 4 D: 4 C: 4 P: 8 I: 10 C: 10

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 03, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »

Didn't the previous build have problems with ranged attackers?
Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »

The build was using a Tower shield until the opponents ran out of arrows; a crafted Iron Imperial Armor and a shield saved him against direct damage, high CS - against opponents' critical strikes.

Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »

Shute, a major drawback of having Con 4, Str 4, Per 4 or Dex 4 - a chance to be killed on 2 critical attacks.

Darkthia

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »

extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary save scum.

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Azthor
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »

In terms of absolute combat value, you would probably want something akin to 6 STR, 7 PER, 8 DEX, 4 CHA, 7 CON and 8 INT, daggers aside. Even at Max Weapon Skill a low PER will prove crippling against elite assassins, while low STR will present problems with climbing, early armor penetration (crafting can pick the slack later on) and hauling. That much CON not only grants you a 50% HP improvement in comparison to what you'd have at 4, lessening the part playied by luck in battles, but also allows for a bit of poison resistance, which may well prove a life saver in some areas/encounters. Finally, DEX is the most relevant source of starting Melee Combat Skills and a score of 8 allows for 5 fast attacks with a balanced dagger/light sword or exactly two aimed attacks with the same weapon (which one should be used depends primarily on the target's mobility), you can nor afford to max it out nor is it all that advantageous, as differently from other skills, you may make up for the lack of the last two points by using heavy armor which would completly or partially (lightened ironclad) render them useless. Finally, a high int is paramount in a game where the amount of "experience" is highly limited, but you cannot afford to pump it all the way to 10 without opening up a crippling weakness.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:15:47 PM by Azthor » Logged
Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

No, I'd rather stick to this one
(click to show/hide)

Azthor
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 05, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »

I agree with the extra Strength, granted that it seems to be a Dagger build, but that low CON will render you quite vulnerable to death by the RNG's whims. A shield and heavy armor go a long way towards protecting you from death by CON drain, but a single shield split while surrounded and you may well be slaughtered before you can equip a new one. I tend to go by the general view of which a 25% damage bost and a 25% health boost present a mathematically greater combat effectiveness increase than a 50% boost in a single factor, as 1,25² = 1,5625. Of course, that depends on your opponent, as extra HP won't help at all if you can't land a hit.

If I am mistaken and that is a spear build, I remove my previous statements.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:26:58 PM by Azthor » Logged
Vahhabyte

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 05, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »

It's not decided yet if it's a dagger, spear, crossbow, throwing or sword build. As for criticals, well, Tower Shields, crafted Imperial Armors and high CS skill provide a decent protection against these.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: