Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CSG update #17 - the art pipeline  (Read 7011 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2017, 10:11:56 am »

Our next milestone is the combat demo (don't ask me when), which is practically a game in itself as it requires pretty much everything: the character system, the combat system (attacks and NPCs' AI and pathfinding), the armor system, the gadgets, inventory, two hundred items (give or take) just to get the ball rolling, the interface, and god knows what else. It's a very complex task with a lot of moving parts that take awhile to define and even longer to implement. Here is Nick's status update:

Now, more detailed changelog since end of June:

- The core element of combat system - attacks, stored and edited in a data table. Open "AttacksDB" asset in Content\Gameplay\Combat\Attacks\ to check it out. Configure an attack, then when editing a weapon, assign all the attacks it supports;
    - General TNW animation system setup;
    - Game states and player input states: game running, paused, busy (like when you see the hourglass cursor). The AI shouldn't think when the game is not running, the player shouldn't spam commands when PC is in the middle of attacking, that kind of stuff;
    - Interactive cursor, proper cursor scales and hotspots;
    - Setting up the human animation state machine. Simply put, it's a network of nodes and connections between them, where a node is animation type (idle, aiming, attacking, dying, etc) and the connection is a rule which controls the transition between nodes;
    - Added idle animations, implemented triggering idle variations;
    - Coded in combat structure, phases, implemented combat start/end;
    - Added pistol and rifle animation sets;
    - Implemented relative aiming and full body rotations towards enemy, wrote a framework of math functions to support that;
    - Unified the world interactive objects within one class hierarchy;
    - Pathfinding update: made characters path around each other in realtime movement, instead of bumping into one another. Finally got to implementing characters occupying (owning) tiles in the combat mode (see red squares on grid), updated grid object instanced mesh components to visually reflect that;

As you can see, most of this stuff sounds pretty basic, but every item on this list is a leap forward and a critical piece of game infrastructure.

Now that "where the game's at?" question has been answered, let's look at our art pipeline. Years ago Brian Mitsoda asked me about our art pipeline. I proudly told him that our pipeline's name is Oscar, but that was a long time ago and things have changed since then:

Step 1 is a rough Excel layout:

The Pit's central "square"

Step 2 is a rough in-engine layout:

^ The Promised Land saloon

Step 3 is painting over each building to define the overall look, lights, and assets needed:

^ The saloon

^ The Regulators' headquarters

Step 4 - the assets:

Step 5 - put it all together but we aren't there yet (we won't do it until the entire location is defined and all the assets are done, which would take a couple of months).

While it's not what Obsidian is doing with Deadfire, it's a big improvement over AoD and not just in terms of the overall visuals but also in terms of making the ship's environments more memorable. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:05:16 am »

Nnnnnnnngg, so gooood....

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
MF
Journeyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:46:49 pm »

Looks great!

I like how a container city lends itself so well to snappable base assets.
Lexx
Craftsman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:33:54 am »

I really like the paint over scenes. It's good to do this just to get an idea of the colors used. Really helps to make details stick out.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 08:37:07 am »

^ A penthouse

A rifle called Pipe Dream.
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:10:20 am »

Wow that is an insane jump up in visual quality from AoD with these assets. Now I'm just hoping this won't increase dev time to unreasonable amounts and you can keep up this level of detail for the entire game. Good luck team, that is propably going to take a lot of stamina again. I admire your dedication to bringing us quality RPGs, should pay off in the long run.
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 06:37:16 am »

Wow that is an insane jump up in visual quality from AoD with these assets. Now I'm just hoping this won't increase dev time to unreasonable amounts and you can keep up this level of detail for the entire game. Good luck team, that is propably going to take a lot of stamina again. I admire your dedication to bringing us quality RPGs, should pay off in the long run.

Well, they are not using shitty engine anymore and turned to Unreal.
Can expect quite a step up in quality.

Never underestimate an old man in a dangerous profession
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: