Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD August update  (Read 19406 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »

Welcome to update # 8. It’s a big update that adds all kinds of things but very little new content, unfortunately.

1. You can return to Teron now. There isn’t much to do there yet as the unfinished quests have been resolved without you (thanks for nothing) and new content will be triggered by the events in Ganezzar, which hasn’t been released yet.

So much like Caer-Tor, the new Teron maps (there are two actually, one where the Imperial Guards took over, the other where House Daratan reigns supreme and the town is swarmed with mercenaries) are nothing but a foundation on which new content will be build.

Still, you can walk around, chat with people, admire Antidas’ grave, stop in front of crucified Miltiades, meet a mercenary captain who will replace Mercato if you had him killed, and report any bugs and consistency issues (people who should be dead being alive and kicking, etc).

2. We split the Teron map into 3 to improve performance. The old map included the mine and the raiders’ camp, which wasn’t the best way to handle it. Now Teron, the mine, and the camp are truly separate locations, which - in theory - can cause all kinds of issues but hopefully won’t.

We tweaked the mine location a bit, replacing the old tower with something equally Roman but more combat-friendly, plus made it easier to explore it outside of text adventure. Overall, there is less ‘teleporting’ now.

3. We tweaked Alchemy as per very helpful players’ suggestions

• Added more reagents to Maadoran and Teron alchemists' inventories
  • Increased poison damage by 1 point for all levels.
  • Bombs and liquid fire no longer miss.
  • Bombs critical chance (knockdown effect) is now 50 - (victim's constitution - 6) x 15.
  • Alchemy level 9: Black Powder Bomb (Frag) has vsDR 5.
  • Alchemy level 10: Berserk potion homeostasis gives 3 DR and takes 5 HP at the end of the effect.
  • Alchemy level 10: Neurostimulant (Eagle Eye) gives 25 THC bonus.

4.Difficulty

As many of you noticed the difficulty takes a nosedive in Maadoran. One of the reason for that is that the metal bonuses greatly increase your offensive and defensive capabilities. Each metal adds 2 points. Whereas in Teron adding 2 points is a good bonus (and iron weapons are harder to find), it's relatively easy to buy high quality gear in Maadoran and increase your damage output and/or DR by 5-7 points, which is too much.

So, the no-name crafted items are removed from trader inventories (if you want them, invest in Crafting). Some of them have been replaced by much more expensive unique items. Coincidentally, each metal now adds only 1 point, so getting your hands on some blue steel will increase your damage/DR by 3 instead of 6.

We also tweaked some stats of unique items to make sure they are consistent with the overall balance.

5. A number of bug fixes and minor improvements.

As always, thank you for your continuous support and patronage. This update is a stepping stone toward a much larger update which will include 3 new locations, so your feedback and suggestions will be much appreciated.

PS. Some icons and portraits

You can kill one of the gladiators to get the trident and buy a new set (a murmillo helmet and manica) from the arena trader.
RandomName
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:15:07 pm »

Good stuff.  It will be interesting to see how the metal nerf effects the difficulty level, particularly in Teron.  Is the update Steam only, or will it be available on BMT also?
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:59:41 pm »

Damn that was fast, especially with the new uniques!  Love the icon for the manica. Whose does the illustration work for you guys?

1. You can return to Teron now.

So excited, even without new quests. Can't wait to see the aftermath of the quest choices (or lack of participation).

Coincidentally, each metal now adds only 1 point, so getting your hands on some blue steel will increase your damage/DR by 3 instead of 6.

Wow, that's a pretty big change. Should definitely up the difficulty in Maadoran and beyond. I do worry that it will put Dodge well ahead of Block now though. I already felt as of the last update that Dodge was a bit stronger, particularly in the early game**. Heavy armor & Block only started to shine with the higher DR, and with armor being less powerful it might make more sense to just go light and invest in high Dodge.

We'll see how it goes though. I look forward to testing out all these changes.   Salute

**I simply cannot beat Linos' guards with a Block character, even after managing to sneak into the barracks and buy some Imperial armor from Shorty after I sent Mercato packing - probably a bug but I like the idea that with the guard dissolved into Daratan you can now buy from Shorty.
RandomName
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:31:52 pm »

Wow, that's a pretty big change. Should definitely up the difficulty in Maadoran and beyond. I do worry that it will put Dodge well ahead of Block now though. I already felt as of the last update that Dodge was a bit stronger, particularly in the early game**. Heavy armor & Block only started to shine with the higher DR, and with armor being less powerful it might make more sense to just go light and invest in high Dodge.

We'll see how it goes though. I look forward to testing out all these changes.   Salute

Good point.  Perhaps increasing the DR of all shields by 2 or 3 would be in order?
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:35:42 pm »

Maybe that or even nerf high dodge a bit if you want to keep it all difficult, but I'd rather test it before making and solid suggestions. My other concern is that crafting will be less valuable. It was pretty strong before though so hopefully it will still hold its own.

I'm assuming enemies will also be affected by the armor changes?
Dolorous Edd
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:33:47 am »

I cant get back to Teron from Maadoran as an assasin((( (I loaded save befor update)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 01:35:49 am »

Maybe that or even nerf high dodge a bit if you want to keep it all difficult, but I'd rather test it before making and solid suggestions. My other concern is that crafting will be less valuable. It was pretty strong before though so hopefully it will still hold its own.

I'm assuming enemies will also be affected by the armor changes?

Yep.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 01:38:36 am »

I cant get back to Teron from Maadoran as an assasin((( (I loaded save befor update)

Doesn't work with old savegames from the outset. You can open the console and write:

blockMapLocation("Teron", 0);
blockMapLocation("BanditCamp", 0);
blockMapLocation("Outpost", 0);

That will allow travelling there, but I don't know what kind of bugginess you will find Smile

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vahha

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 01:51:37 am »

Phew, I've never depended on anything but iron nor on what the sellers are selling (except for the improved ordu armor), so this shouldn't affect my champion build in any way.
and the manica are a good news, though.

So, when the next update is going to be released? ok, it was updated without a notification, now it's build .0263

Also, will the old savegames be compatible with it? As long as I don't want to travel back to Teron Wink

PS: Nerfing dodge is probably a bad idea, it feels as good as useless to me at level 8, w/o Al-Sazir's armor.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:56:50 am by Vahhabyte » Logged

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 02:22:25 am »

PS: Nerfing dodge is probably a bad idea, it feels as good as useless to me at level 8, w/o Al-Sazir's armor.

Maybe it just feels strong at early levels. Or maybe its just me.

Vahhabyte you like challenges, make a melee block character in the merchant's guild who makes a deal with Cado and can kill Linos' guards at the end. I'd feel better about it if a few people would test it out and prove me wrong.
Vahha

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 02:28:02 am »

Hmm, I've never followed that route, actually. Did you try the liquid fire flasks sold from the merchant standing in front of the Inn? Also, what is your weapon choice and what are your stats?

PS: so, the manica is not worth another playthrough, and I could live without the new trident either, if only it did not look so epic. What are the stats of this trident?

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
RandomName
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 02:28:13 am »

Vahhabyte you like challenges, make a melee block character in the merchant's guild who makes a deal with Cado and can kill Linos' guards at the end. I'd feel better about it if a few people would test it out and prove me wrong.

I'm not Vahabyte, but here you go.  Really weren't any particularly challenging fights.  Beat the mine on the first try, the bandit camp on the first try and Linos' guards on the first try.

[old attachment deleted by admin to save space]
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 02:59:29 am »

I'm not Vahabyte, but here you go.  Really weren't any particularly challenging fights.  Beat the mine on the first try, the bandit camp on the first try and Linos' guards on the first try.

Very nice, thanks!
What weapon and armor did you use for Linos' guards?

PS:  And you named the screenshot Tough Trader.   Salute   Cool
RandomName
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 03:08:07 am »

I used the Iron Praetorian armor that the Decanus in the mine drops and the crafted iron Marculus that Ameolas drops.  Would of course have been wiser to steal your trick and sneak into the barracks to buy imperial armor, as it would have given an extra 2 DR and a bit of extra crit resistance with no downside for a 6 Dex block user, but eh, this worked. 
Brandon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 03:13:26 am »

Damn, your attack rating is almost double mine. Looks like mainly from all that crit I don't have. And I skipped the Outpost and all the points involved... suppose I need to man up and go back and finish it. And maybe get more Int and Str (only 6 & 8). Thanks for the inspiration, Comrade!  Nothing wrong with block Vince, carry on!   Salute
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: