Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Monday Design Update - Time To Kill  (Read 14239 times)
Annie
Developer

Dead State game designer

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »

Hey guys, Annie again!

Sorry about the slight delay for the Monday Update today – and apologies that it’s not super-substantial – but the team’s been busting our collective butts working on something special (to be revealed soon...) And yeah, we’re pretty low on sleep and less verbose than usual...

...but the lack of free time got me thinking. When I’ve got time, I spend so much of it online, or playing video games, or doing things that involve human interaction. There won’t be much of a chance for that sort of thing in Dead State – which is why even terrible novels are in high demand! – and it got me wondering: if you had a day to kill, but you had to stay indoors (or a close equivalent, like a yard), and didn’t have any electricity, what would be the one thing you would choose to help pass the time?

For me, it’s paper and a pencil. I’ve always been an idle sketcher (although not a good artist by far) and have enjoyed jotting down random stories and such... having a simple pad of paper and a pencil gives me a flexibility that a more controlled form of entertainment doesn’t offer. You finish a book, that’s about it... a sports game only lasts so long... even hands-on projects with knitting or sewing have their ends. But the simplicity of creating on paper spools on until there’s not a single iota of space left on it (and then maybe you employ an eraser on stuff not worth saving and make more!)

(I’ll be honest, though – when I’m in a mood where I’m out of ideas, a blank sheet of paper is my very worst enemy)

How about you? One full day, no electricity. How would you pass the time?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:40:05 pm by Annie » Logged

WILL GAME FOR WORK
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:11 pm »

Well, if we're talking about a random power blackout, I would probably spend most of the day on my phone and then read a book when that ran out of battery power (although I could probably still charge it in my car Wink ).  If we're talking total removal of electronics, I would probably still read a book, or maybe wrangle some people into playing a board game.  Nature hikes are fun too since I live near a mountain and a river bed.

If my city got hit by an EMP or something, I'd be hustling down to the grocery store to loot some supplies or at least leave an IOU since I rarely carry paper money.  Tongue

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Bsadzewicz
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 05:43:32 pm »

for me it would be the perfect time for target practice Grin or if I have a friend that isn't busy that's able to carry any wild game we get... hunting.
Greyman
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:49:31 pm »

Words in a row.  I'll read almost anything to pass the time; the one nice thing about the setting for the shelter is at least its got a library.
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 06:52:08 pm »

Books for private time, board games/table top rpgs for social time.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
CounselorPally
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:03:16 am »

We'll pretend I don't have battery banks and solar equipment to keep my 3DS and phone going forever.... Tongue

Social = deck of cards + imagination
Private = I have a lot of novels, art books, comics, and blank sketch books that need attention.

My youtube channel has quite a few Dead State vids on it. You can come check it out if you want. http://www.youtube.com/chancepaladin
cb.spike

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:46:14 am »

Hey guys, Annie again!
 When I’ve got time, I spend so much of it online, or playing video games, or doing things that involve human interaction. There won’t be much of a chance for that sort of thing in Dead State

So how will you deal with internet and cell phones in world of Dead State? Everything will be suddenly down? We won´t be able to use any of that?
veryinky
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 03:18:04 am »

I spent 3 weeks without power in the family home during the great icestorm of 1998 that hit eastern Canada. Fireplace provided warmth and I cooked either at the fireplace or with a camping stove (which I rationed). Kept warm with a tent covered in blankets in the living room.

Had a generator which I used to power a laptop & recharge one of those "eliminator" car boost starter batteries which also had an outlet which would power the laptop for 12 hours and helped me ration the gas for the generator. Played games on the laptop to pass the time, since nearly everything was closed for weeks.

Since then I've moved out on my own I've always had a medkit, generator with a jerry can of stabilized gasoline and enough canned goods for a month. Fire up the generator at the change of every season to make sure it's still working.
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:29 am »

When i was a kid i really enjoyed exploring. I still do as a 22 year old i but i realize now its a bit immature and weird. I think its nice to walk or drive to a place you've never been to just to clear your head a bit, alone with your thoughts and emotions. I think its a great way to find yourself.

Anther things i like doing is writing poetry. I can spend about an hour writing a poem(s). And of course i have a few books i haven't read yet. I'd really want to play some DnD but i wouldn't have anyone to play with.

Turing this into a shit hits the fan scenario, if the power went out i'll probably be really frustrated. I can handle a day or two but any longer and i'll probably be pacing around my house going crazy. I can't see myself staying home if such an event happen. I'm too use to being connected with the entire world, i'll scare the hell outta me to know i'm cut off. I'd have to get the hell outta there, maybe seek out my family or friends.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:39:07 am by BadVoodoo » Logged

"Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end."
elloco999
Dead State Private Testers

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 03:35:16 am »

Depends on the scenario I guess. If I had nothing better to do (in other words, we're not in a survival scenario or anything, just a day without power) I'd set me up a good comfortable spot somewhere (in good weather that would be outside in a hammock in the shade but if the weather made that less desirable it would probably be on the couch) and first catch up on some z's. After that I would probably read a book or if my daughter were home, I'd play with her.

But if I didn't have to stay at home
...if you had a day to kill, but you had to stay indoors (or a close equivalent, like a yard)...
I'd go outdoors, do some hiking or something like that. Or go buy a generator and some fuel to power the PC Smile
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:39:54 am by elloco999 » Logged
elloco999
Dead State Private Testers

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:16 am »

When i was a kid i really enjoyed exploring. I still do as a 22 year old i but i realize now its a bit immature and weird. I think its nice to walk or drive to a place you've never been to just to clear your head a bit, alone with your thoughts and emotions. I think its a great way to find yourself.
Nothing immature or weird about that. Lots of people of all ages do that. Myself included. Especially now with my daughter (1.5 years old), it is great watching her discover everything new. It gives you a completely different perspective on things Smile
Torgue
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 04:38:02 am »

Books for private time, board games/table top rpgs for social time.
Same here.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 07:04:07 am »

When i was a kid i really enjoyed exploring. I still do as a 22 year old i but i realize now its a bit immature and weird.

Exploring is awesome Wink

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Greyman
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:50 am »

Yeah, my physiology would no longer cooperate, but when I was a kid I got into the storm drains nearby (I live on the borders of Los Angeles) and always thought they were fascinating (not probably the absolutely safest thing I could do, but there you are).
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 11:52:31 am »

Nothing immature or weird about that. Lots of people of all ages do that. Myself included. Especially now with my daughter (1.5 years old), it is great watching her discover everything new. It gives you a completely different perspective on things Smile

Exploring is awesome Wink

You guys are alright. But you gotta understand its a different story when a girlfriend wants to know where i was or a lunch break buddy asks what i do for fun. "Oh i like exploring abandoned hospitals" usually comes off as shady or gives off a creepy serial killer vibe.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:03:22 pm by BadVoodoo » Logged

"Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end."
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: