Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD June update  (Read 63551 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »

We're going to start beta-testing (closed test) in July, which means that we spent June tweaking and balancing questlines and don't really have anything interesting to say. The next month update will have first impressions and such, but this one will have to be pretty boring, unless you really like reading updates.

The focus is on the options, choices, and paths now. There is a truckload of them. If you thought that Teron had a lot of options, you're going to be overwhelmed with what we have in store for you now. More characters, more quests, more options, more scheming, more reactivity, more opportunities to fuck things up. I rarely speak with excitement about my own work, but I'm very proud of how everything turned out and came together.

The Abyss evolved into a great area. It's very different from what you've seen so far. Most locations have fairly 'realistic' atmosphere - people squabbling, scheming, plotting, and murdering each other over nothing. Not a lot of fantasy there. Now, the game IS a fantasy RPG and in the Abyss you'll get the first taste of it.

I asked Scott to go over the Abyss doc and breathe his magic into the words. He seemed to like it: "I really like this one, especially the end.  It's a great idea, bringing together the history and the ultimate realization of a violent and amoral world.  You've created the anti-Chosen One."

Anyway, some excerpts:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Hope you'll like the rest. Now, here are some shots of Maadoran and the mountain pass (will be included in the upcoming release).

Edit: Bass has a bigger role to play than greeting you, so he has a portrait, which sadly isn't in the game's folders for some reasons (just realized it, but don't have time to retake the shots).

The Noble District

The Market

The Arena that should be well familiar to the veterans of the arena demo

The mountain pass (think like George R.R. Martin's Wall but scaled down a bit)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:08:57 PM by Oscar » Logged
MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »

I am REALLy looking forward to the Abyss!  Grin
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »

The abyss sounds amazing. Thanks for the update. The game is really shaping up nicely.  Tongue
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:6 P:8 I:10 Ch:4 Th 6 Bl 8 CS 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:48:29 AM »

So once again we will be testing a very new system and a very new Teron. That's so absolutely great, every new beta being a whole new game. I can't wait, can't wait.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:00:12 AM by Vahhabyte » Logged

Good people disobey bad laws.
Lexx
Journeyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 05:22:28 AM »

The mountain pass looks super fancy.
skarai
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:33:45 AM »

The next month update will have first impressions and such, but this one will have to be pretty boring, unless you really like reading updates.

Little did Vince know, some of us survived on AoD updates.  Smile
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »

"Plenty of goats" - That is SO ambiguous  Tongue

Happy to hear that Scott is contributing!

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Tommy
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »

Looking good. Smile
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »

Really fantastic works, gents. Three thumbs up. Salute
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »

Holy crap!  How many times can I be re-surprised at the visuals?  Especially the Mountain Pass.  I'm guessing testers will be able to start with experienced characters and established faction reps in the next beta test, instead of replaying Teron?

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »

Holy crap!  How many times can I be re-surprised at the visuals?  Especially the Mountain Pass.  I'm guessing testers will be able to start with experienced characters and established faction reps in the next beta test, instead of replaying Teron?

Yep, the private testing will be Maadoran only with pre-built characters.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:6 P:8 I:10 Ch:4 Th 6 Bl 8 CS 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »

"Plenty of goats" - That is SO ambiguous  Tongue
lol

Please pre-build a 6-spear 6-CS 4-Crafting 5-Streetwise imperial iron-clad 10 Int assassin with a steel hasta Wink
Perhaps one that left Teron after AG2, betraying the guild.
PS: plus the body count capital of ~25.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:27:32 PM by Vahhabyte » Logged

Good people disobey bad laws.
l3loodAngel
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »

Why? Why do you want a half test?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »

To focus on Maadoran.
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »

That arena screenshot brings back memories. Approve

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: