Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD May update  (Read 46975 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:10:49 am »

Nothing exciting to report yet. We worked our asses off (12-14 hours a day avg) getting Maadoran and related areas (the mountain pass, the Ordu camp, Darius' tomb, the Abyss, Red Gracchus' raiders camp, and the tower of Zamedi), which is a LOT of content. We wanted to start testing earlier, but decided to take more time.

We started Teron's beta-test earlier than we should have and kept adding/tweaking things as the test went on. As a result the test was long and the testers started running out of steam at some point, which is understandable, of course. So, we want to make sure this test goes faster and smoother.

So, in the mean time, let's talk about R4. Upcoming changes:

1) Switch to 1-10 skill system as outlined here - link
2) Chargen changes as outlined here - link
3) Bonuses and penalties won't be applied to skills but to the derived stats - attack and defense

Attack Modifiers
-   Perception (Bonus and penalty)
-   Weapon THC (Bonus)
-   Shield and Helmet (Penalty)
-   Attack types (Bonus and penalty)
-   Nets (Penalty)
-   Neurostymulant (Bonus)
-   Berserk (Penalty)
-   Arm Injury (Penalty)

Defense Modifiers
-   Armor (Penalty - Dodge only)
-   Nets (Penalty)
-   Bolas (Penalty)
-   Consecutive Defenses (Penalty)
-   Leg Injury (Penalty - Dodge only)
-   Knockout (Penalty)
-   Mobility (Bonus or penalty - Dodge only)

4) MORE info displayed!

5) New special attacks:

- Knockdown. Formerly, hammer's passive ability, now it's a 'hammers only' attack. Some people liked the passive ability, some didn't, so instead of forcing it on everyone, now it's up to you whether you want to knock some people or not. Hammers got a new and fairly realistic trait called Ground Slam! No, not really. Hammers' new passive makes them more effective against armor as it should be.

- Split shield - same deal. It's a new 'axes only' attack. Axes got a new passive-aggressive.

- Arterial strike - daggers and swords only, helmet DR/vsCS, +2 AP , -20 to THC, Power Damage, CS x 1.5.

Now, two-handed weapons didn't get enough love previously. They are big and heavy and you can't do much but swing them once per turn. Not anymore!

- Swing - poor man's whirlwind! It covers 3 tiles, cost 8AP, does regular damage, has a modest 10% to-hit penalty.

- Cleave - single enemy, 8 AP, -20% THC,  power attack damage, +20% critical chance, DR/3.

- Double Tap - two consecutive attacks on a single enemy, +10% THC, fast attack damage on the first attack, reduced damage on the second, -10% critical chance, 9 AP

6) Changes to Counter Attacks (due to the fact that counter attacks were next to useless with some weapons)

-   6 AP Weapons: Fast attack.
-   5 AP Weapons: Regular attack.
-   4 AP Weapons: Power attack.
-   3 AP Weapons: Flurry.

7) Changes to CS.

The new passive effect is bleeding, which causes 2 points of damage for 4 turns. The damage is not affected by DR.

Natural CS now comes from Constitution. It gets 5 points for every Constitution point over 4. Ranges from 0 to 30. Now vsCS are cumulative, but still get a distinction of body/helmet.  All attacks except the ones aimed at the head check for Armor + Natural + Shield. Attacks to the head check for Helmet + Natural + Shield.

8) The balanced technique no longer lowers the weapon AP, but adds THC.

9) Inventory access - opening up your inventory costs you nothing. Accessing unequipped items cost something, based on the item type. You can't remove armor, while accessing items in the belt bags is free, so you can put there bombs and potions. There is a "counter" that shows your available AP and how you spent by moving things around. The amount gets deducted once you close the screen (if you have enough, of course).

10) Changes to Dodge - dodgers get a penalty for each tile around them that's not passable (except for one). So the penalty would range from 0 to 7 tiles (being fully surrounded). So, um, don't get surrounded? There is a new ability called Feint that allows you to feint an attack and trade places with your attacker.

Plus, a few little things here and there.

Now, here are some 'work in progress' shots for your amusement:

Legendary Warriors

Last, but not the least, there is a new in-game lower difficulty mode. If your reputation is high enough, you can summon Legendary Warriors to fight by your side, after which the reputation is reset.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:26:35 am by Vince » Logged
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46:19 am »

That's a lot of new stuff.  Approve

The only thing I'm not entirely sure about is whether the "legendary warriors" thing is an actual game mechanic or a joke that refers to the screenshots.

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:55:10 am »

It's a joke. You can recruit some 'hoodlums' to help you fight a certain fight to die for you. There is no Legendary Warriors ability in the game.
Ergil
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 12:10:16 pm »

6) Changes to Counter Attacks (due to the fact that counter attacks were next to useless with some weapons)

Another way of looking at it would be that powerful counterattacks were a major reason to go for two handed weapons.

8) The balanced technique no longer lowers the weapon AP, but adds THC.

Oh man Sad It'd have to be a damn big bonus to be worth the investment in crafting.
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:16:54 pm »

I cannot comment on the massive combat mechanics changes until I try them out, but they look very exciting, yet probably hard to balance.

Natural CS now comes from Constitution. It gets 5 points for every Constitution point over 4.
You mean, natural CS defense?

PS: perhaps you could mark the spots where you are joking, otherwise some game portals may post wrong information, if they are not familiar with your sarcastic sense of humor.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:35:12 pm »

PS: perhaps you could mark the spots where you are joking, otherwise some game portals may post wrong information, if they are not familiar with your sarcastic sense of humor.

Oh, please, now journalists need quest compasses? Plus it's only one joke that's quite clear when you read the screenshots.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 12:36:48 pm »

Often these are merely translators/reposters rather than journalists. Plus, many don't read screenshots.

― George Orwell, 1984
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 01:01:02 pm »

Then they will be very excited about this feature. So, it's a win/win.
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 01:40:39 pm »

Well, that answers the one thing I was unsure of. Grin

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 01:41:57 pm »

Awesome update! Salute
Anri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 02:12:52 pm »

Thanks for update, Vince.

However, why is the char attacking Hamza on the first screen? Isn't he the nice guy, leading opposition against bitchy Darista? Is player with assassins on this playthrough or some other guild sent to kill good Hamza?
AbounI
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 02:28:25 pm »

Great update!
I wonder myself if the "summon" renforcement is not a try/test for the next party based DC.
Another question is about the reset of the "reputation".Hope it won't break possible interactions/dialogues when there is a check, but in the other way, it's appreciable to see such a use for this stat.Great idea
Elwro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 02:36:23 pm »

Fantastic update! Hope the switch to the 1-10 system does not introduce too many difficulties.
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 02:39:48 pm »

I wonder myself if the "summon" renforcement is not a try/test for the next party based DC.
Another question is about the reset of the "reputation".Hope it won't break possible interactions/dialogues when there is a check, but in the other way, it's appreciable to see such a use for this stat.Great idea
As we discussed above the 'summon reinforcement' feature was a product of sarcasm. Many other readers won't get it either.

― George Orwell, 1984
AbounI
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 02:54:53 pm »

As we discussed above the 'summon reinforcement' feature was a product of sarcasm. Many other readers won't get it either.
Oh!!!I thought the joke was just about the title of "legendary warriors", which of course doesn't fit with the game.I can remember there are some parts with NPCs at your side.So I thought it was possible to get reinforcement by "selling" reputation coins
Vince, you're so wicked  Evil
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:59:41 pm by AbounI » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: