Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGSystem Crash (Moderator: Gareth)The System Crash feedback thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The System Crash feedback thread  (Read 42413 times)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2013, 10:21:59 am »

The sides of the screen are cut off when using the 1280x1024 resolution.

The title screen art appears to be mirrored (look at the signs).

The game froze on the draw phase when I ran out of cards. [log] [screen]

Thanks, I'll look into those. Yeah, the title screen is mirrored, it's actually intended to be temporary. A better piece is coming.

I don't particularly like resource denial. Some of it might be the low success rate I've been having, but mostly I don't like the playstyle as much as I like the other decks I've tried. Lining up mechs or grinding the enemy to dust with assassins is simpy more fun to me.

Yeah. It's a bit less of an active deck, as it's less about directing engaging as ensuring your opponent cannot engage and you simply stroll to victory. But it's another option to play with, and to face off against.

Every time I hear something about a build in the forums I fire up the game to test it

Hehe. Sorry for the delay here guys, I'm trying to get final assets in place. Looking to have a new build sometime this week. Also expect some new cards and some small tweaks to the balance of other cards.

Edit2: Lost 1st game vs hacking, though it was a close one. But I did notice that I couldn't give my self-made decks to the AI. It wouldn't be nice if we could do that in the next version. I wanted to see how well my resource denial deck would fare against the deathrush deck I had made earlier.

Yeah, I can add that. Smile

Finally, another suggestion. When discarding cards, could you make it so that the player first picks all cards to be discarrded and then confirms the choice? And could the chosen cards get a red or whatever shader? I think that would be helpful to prevent accidental discards. I'm fine now, but at the beginning it happened a few times that I thought I was going to play a card, but then it turned out that I discarded it instead.

Yep, that's being added in.

Game's looking great though, Gareth.   Can't wait for the full campaign!

Thanks man! Really glad you guys are enjoying it, makes all the work worthwhile.  Grin

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2013, 11:32:32 am »

Every time I hear something about a build in the forums I fire up the game to test it

Hehe. Sorry for the delay here guys, I'm trying to get final assets in place. Looking to have a new build sometime this week. Also expect some new cards and some small tweaks to the balance of other cards.

Sweet. Though I was referring to cards builds or better said, decks Wink

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2013, 07:40:38 pm »

Linux says hi.

(click to show/hide)
Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2013, 03:51:05 am »

Speaking of Transferred Funds, the AI plays it even if it doesn't plan to spend the gained credits.

Hmm. Can you send me the log if you see that again, please? I've got checks against that, but there may be a few instances I've missed. I found one yesterday and fixed it, but you might have seen another.

Here. Near the end of the match.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2013, 02:11:49 pm »

Bah. Days with barely any internet here in SA, some bastard ship damaged our line up to Europe. I've been able to read this page (sometimes) but not respond. Sorry for the silence.

Sweet. Though I was referring to cards builds or better said, decks

Ah, nice.  Wink

Linux says hi.

Wicked! Wink But I should have a proper Linux build out sometime shortly after release, if Unity plays ball.

Here. Near the end of the match.

Great. I'll try find out why it's doing that.

A general update. Sorry for the lack of activity, dudes, things are still progressing.

Niektory's new phase indicators are in and they work much better, the game is sped up again while still remaining clear about what phase it is. I've got all the final card art now, 6 of the 7 music tracks and my artist is working on 4 new backgrounds to go with the more fleshed-out mission narrative I'm adding. And I'm working on better discard functionality now.

I'll try and get a new update to you guys this week. Smile

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
John Yossarian

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2013, 05:18:48 pm »

My son and I played it for a couple days and we both loved it. The boy was pretty sad when he ran out of missions, so I'd appreciate it if you'd finish and take my money NN.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2013, 03:03:59 am »

My son and I played it for a couple days and we both loved it. The boy was pretty sad when he ran out of missions, so I'd appreciate it if you'd finish and take my money NN.

Damn. You just made my day. Thanks dude.

Full power to the game dev engines.  Salute

My blog
Llapgochmaster
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2013, 12:11:06 pm »

Beta!

Quite a bit more slick, as you clearly intended. I think the interface and pacing is pretty much spot on now.

Tooltips seem pretty helpful to me, although the visual experience can start to get kind of wild with the windows on top of the main screen. Maybe you could a little stylistic touch to differentiate them more from the actual game? Maybe that's just me.

Gripes:

• When building a custom deck at the start, maybe we could have a little leeway in terms of how many cards are available? Having 60 at the start limits your options quite a bit. And yes, I immediately attempted to sell off all the cards I dislike Tongue The need to come up with 60 cards seems to me like it will stifle deck customization more than the rate of flow of new cards
  • The "duel start" summary screen seems like an ugly duckling. Sex it up a bit? Art? You're probably already on this.
  • Having to confirm a target by mousing over to the "play" button seems like too much trouble for a common action. One click select, second click confirm?
  • Seems a bit chintzy to have to choose discards even though you've already won a match
That's all I got so far. Will try to play through properly a few times in a bit.

GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2013, 03:10:37 pm »

Took a quick tour, mainly to check out the tutorial.

Card art looks great, now that everything is in!
Music likewise, very nice. A bit of a rough transition when the startup music fades into the next tune.
Liked the rule changes that I noticed. Particularly grenade is more interesting now, with the "spatial"effect.

All the tutorial tips seemed helpful. I'd consider adding one on mission loss (explaining that you can just play the same mission again). And winning the first mission (if it isn't in, not tested).

Bug? I gave an innocent bystander a pistol - unlike the opposing Corp Sec it didn't attack in the same, but only in the following round - bug or feature?
Bug? In the test helper, the starting deck was invalid (contained too many Neons or something), so hitting start brings up an empty deck selection screen haven't tested yet if this happens for the real campaign as well.
Bug? The warning triangle on the top of the balck market panel was not removed after I adjusted the cards.
Since the beta is basically public, I'd suggest to add slightly more sensible descriptions to the testing help mission (or to remove it)

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Llapgochmaster
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2013, 11:33:55 pm »

More thoughts:

1. "Force discard" card still doesn't give you a warm fuzzy on use.
2. Along the same lines as my earlier comment, seems a bit weird to click "continue" to have agents attack if you've already won the match on start-of-turn hacking points.
3. Maybe some clues about how "who goes first" gets determined? I'm guessing it's a coin flip, but that's not very clear unless I glossed over a tutorial on that subject Tongue A bit of flavour text "They get the jump on you" might make it more fun.
Kimari
Neophyte

The Mongols will conquer all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:43 am »

I found two bugs!

1) When clicking a button it does a fade to white. While doing said fade, one can click again on the button to initiate ANOTHER fade to white from scratch. And then this can be done again. And again. It's kind of fun actually Tongue
2) When there are no cards left to draw, the computer acts like it's nothing (shouldn't they loose?) and then when it's the player's turn to draw, having zero cards in the deck makes it never leave the draw phase. The flag button reacted as normal but didn't end the match Sad

Also, I seem to recall that the player that plays second was supposed to draw only 1 card instead of 2? Or was that issue balanced in some other way?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:07:34 am by Kimari » Logged

Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2013, 05:13:27 pm »

The game allowed me to create decks with more than 60 cards.

I seem to get 2 free redraws before my starting hand gets reduced, but the hint says I'm only supposed to get one.

Edit: In the black market you can buy more copies of a certain card than you can play in a deck. Does that serve any purpose at all or is it just a waste of money? Because if that's the case I would suggest that you limit how many copies the player can buy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:39:34 pm by Dragatus » Logged

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2013, 03:38:55 am »

When building a custom deck at the start, maybe we could have a little leeway in terms of how many cards are available? Having 60 at the start limits your options quite a bit. And yes, I immediately attempted to sell off all the cards I dislike  The need to come up with 60 cards seems to me like it will stifle deck customization more than the rate of flow of new cards
The "duel start" summary screen seems like an ugly duckling. Sex it up a bit? Art? You're probably already on this.

Hmm. I have added in a few spare cards, but it's a bit of a trick to balance how many cards I give you up front vs how many I unlock over the course of the campaign. If I was able to afford a larger core set of cards, it would be less of a problem.

What I'm going to do is finish up with the campaign, then see how I feel about the card unlock pacing as a whole. I will adjust the starting cards based on that.

Seems a bit chintzy to have to choose discards even though you've already won a match

Fixed Smile

A bit of a rough transition when the startup music fades into the next tune.

Yeah, my composer is having hard drive problems, he'll fix that soon.

Bug? I gave an innocent bystander a pistol - unlike the opposing Corp Sec it didn't attack in the same, but only in the following round - bug or feature?

Huh. Can you replicate it? I tried, but he attacked just fine.

Bug? In the test helper, the starting deck was invalid (contained too many Neons or something), so hitting start brings up an empty deck selection screen haven't tested yet if this happens for the real campaign as well.

Oops, that really should have been hidden. My bad.

Bug? The warning triangle on the top of the balck market panel was not removed after I adjusted the cards.

I believe I've fixed that now.

1. "Force discard" card still doesn't give you a warm fuzzy on use.

Yeah. Adding better presentation to that card was turning into a pain that would introduce a lot of bugs, so I'm going to put it off until an expansion. There isn't really many discard cards in the game right now, the expansions will add more options and snazz them up.

I'd like to make the game awesome in every way, but I have to choose my battles at the moment. Smile

2. Along the same lines as my earlier comment, seems a bit weird to click "continue" to have agents attack if you've already won the match on start-of-turn hacking points.

For now, you have. But in the future, there could be card effects that change the situation radically during a battle. So I'll leave it in. Wink

3. Maybe some clues about how "who goes first" gets determined? I'm guessing it's a coin flip, but that's not very clear unless I glossed over a tutorial on that subject  A bit of flavour text "They get the jump on you" might make it more fun.

Might be a good idea, I'll add it if I get time.

1) When clicking a button it does a fade to white. While doing said fade, one can click again on the button to initiate ANOTHER fade to white from scratch. And then this can be done again. And again. It's kind of fun actually

Ahh. Yes, that's bad. I'll fix that.

2) When there are no cards left to draw, the computer acts like it's nothing (shouldn't they loose?) and then when it's the player's turn to draw, having zero cards in the deck makes it never leave the draw phase. The flag button reacted as normal but didn't end the match

Hmmm, I thought I'd fixed the "no cards to draw" case. I'll check it again.

Also, I seem to recall that the player that plays second was supposed to draw only 1 card instead of 2? Or was that issue balanced in some other way?

You're right. I had forgotten to add that.

The game allowed me to create decks with more than 60 cards.

That's fine. You can only make your odds worse by going over 60, not better. Counter-intuitive as it seems on first glance, smaller decks are the most efficient, larger decks are bloated (but can actually work with the right cards / deck tactics). Large decks can also just be plain fun.

I seem to get 2 free redraws before my starting hand gets reduced, but the hint says I'm only supposed to get one.

Good catch. I'm going to leave it at 2 free redraws, think it works well.

Edit: In the black market you can buy more copies of a certain card than you can play in a deck. Does that serve any purpose at all or is it just a waste of money? Because if that's the case I would suggest that you limit how many copies the player can buy.

It doesn't really serve any purpose. I'll add a cap if I get time.

My blog
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2013, 05:25:47 am »

When you win/lose the victory music plays at the same time as regular background music.

First fight agaisnt the hacker proved pretty challenging. It took me 5 tries and when i fianlly won I felt it had more to do with luck than with skill.

Edit: It's a slightly annoying to have to select resolution and graphics quality each time I run the game.

Edit #2: I made a deck centered around discard cards and it's working out really well. I've played against Hacking showcase deck 4 or 5 times now and haven't lost yet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:51:16 am by Dragatus » Logged

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2013, 09:26:40 am »

I noticed this isn't actually true, I was just misinterpreting the interface. I thought "New Hand Size = 7" refered to the hand size I would get if I redraw. Instead it is the hand size I'm getting right now. So I actaully do get only 1 free redraw.

I suggest making this more clear somehow. Maybe change it to "Next Hand Size" and show how many cards I will get if I redraw? I can count how many cards I'm getting at the moment, so it's more relevant to show how many card I will get if I opt to redraw.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: