Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alpha is live!  (Read 13467 times)
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:13 am »

Ello is live!  Panic

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 02:36:03 am »

The ancient evil has awakened! Quick, gather a party of Lvl 1 adventurers!  Panic  smug
Welcome back, Ellorien.

Gareth, when do you expect the next test version?

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 03:42:22 am »

Hey Ellorien! Yeah, long time no see.

Yep, if System Crash sells well then it's back to RPGs for me.

The ancient evil has awakened! Quick, gather a party of Lvl 1 adventurers!

lol

Gareth, when do you expect the next test version?

Today. Fixed the AI hanging when playing Hired Gun last night, fixing one last bug then doing the build.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 08:57:29 am »

Hey guys.

New version of the alpha is out. I'm going to open this up to anyone who wants to try it now.

Once again, please read the Readme file in the game folder. Thanks for your time!

Link - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3389831/System%20Crash%201.0.0.2.7z

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:06 am »

Cool! I played a couple of battles and the new interface is MUCH better! Salute

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:14 am »

A changelog, in case anyone is debating whether to download it.

New Features
--------------

- Added an option to redraw your starting hand at the beginning of a duel. Each time you use this option after the first, your starting hand size will decrease by 1.
- First player in a match is now random instead of always being the human player.
- Start of Duel report will show who redrew their starting hand and which player plays first.
- Game remembers which decks you last played with in the campaign and will set that as the selected option in the deck select screen before starting a match.
- Game remembers which decks you selected for yourself and the AI in SenseSim battles and will select those when displaying the SenseSim screen.
- Game remembers the last deck you edited in Deck Edit mode and will load that deck up when displaying the screen.
- Card Play Widget changed to only display for Event cards, not Agents, Modifiers or tactics.
- Can click on the Notification widgets ("New Messages available" etc) to open the appropriate screens.
- New Hand widget which dynamically adusts to number of cards in hand.
- New card draw animations make it clearer when you've drawn cards.
- Prompt button to end phase or play/cancel cards soi that you can play the game entirely by mouse.
- All panels are now scrollable with the scroll wheel.
- Automatically activates newly created Profiles.
- New visual indicator icons of card stats, including armor. Changes colour to indicate buffed/debuffed values.
- New visual FX for when an Agent or Tactic card scrore you Objective Points.
- OP indicator changes colour to indicate how close a player is to victory.
- Space key to close Card Play Widget
- New phase messages.

Bug Fixes
-----------

- Fixed issue where you could select an Agent card after selecting a Tactic card but leave the Agent slots still highlighted. If you clicked those slots, the game would then freeze.
- Fixed duplicate portrait in Profile Create screen.
- Logo Sound and list entries now respond to sound FX volume setting.
- Fixed 2 Doctors trying to heal the same target crash bug.
- AI can play "Find in Deck" style cards now and won't lock the game state when doing so.
- Assorted small tweaks and typos.

Outstanding issues
-------------------

- Add Tutorial & tooltips.
- Add Infonet
- Add Surrender option to duels.
- Fix HE Grenade targeting.
- Assorted small tweaks & typos
- Hotkeys
- Card size verification
- Unity startup visual settings.
- Discarded cards visual FX
- Better display of turn change.
- White rendering artifacts around list scrolling.

My blog
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 12:46:15 pm »

Many thanks to the welcoming committee.

The ancient evil has awakened! Quick, gather a party of Lvl 1 adventurers!  Panic  smug

lol, it does seem they never mature to lvl 2.

Gareth, how difficult is SC for people having zero experience with this kind of game?

μολὼν λαβέ
Kimari
Neophyte

The Mongols will conquer all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 03:48:00 pm »

Awwwwriiiiight! The interface works like a charm now that the important issues were resolved.

There are two bugs I've seen so far in the new build:
  • The card "HE Grenade" says it can target up to 2 agents but it doesn't let me target only one
  • The mouseover sound plays even when the game lost focus (when it's minimized for example). The same goes for the background music: I'm actually listening to it while typing this, which is getting kind of annoying.

And these are other things I noticed:

• Is there a way to go back to the main menu while inside a card battle? The Escape key didn't do that and as far as I could tell, there was no button anywhere to do so.
  • When selecting targets for a particular effect it seems weird that the game lets the player select however many targets they want. Wouldn't it make more sense to only let the player select up to the number of targets allowed by the effect?

Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 05:48:12 pm »

The ancient evil has awakened! Quick, gather a party of Lvl 1 adventurers!  Panic  smug

lol

Gareth, how difficult is SC for people having zero experience with this kind of game?

I think if you read the readme, run a sense-sim battle, and re-read the part of the readme about how battles work while running said sense-sim battle, you should be able to figure it out without too much trouble.

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 09:51:15 pm »

I think if you read the readme, run a sense-sim battle, and re-read the part of the readme about how battles work while running said sense-sim battle, you should be able to figure it out without too much trouble.

Even without the readme, it is quite intuitive.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 03:00:10 am »

Just a quick note, Niektory picked up an issue with deck saving that I can't let stand until the next build. New release with the fix from the same link.

Hmm, difficult to answer. Vince was in the same position and struggled with the previous build. I'm hoping this version is more intuitive, I've worked to make things more clearer, but it still lacks the tutorial I want to add for people with zero experience.

If you want, give the new version a try. Like Dragatus said, pop the readme open when you start a card duel, it should explain it. And if you don't, your feedback on what you didn't understand would be a great help to me, so there's that.

Download is about 44mb.

There are two bugs I've seen so far in the new build:

The card "HE Grenade" says it can target up to 2 agents but it doesn't let me target only one

The mouseover sound plays even when the game lost focus (when it's minimized for example). The same goes for the background music: I'm actually listening to it while typing this, which is getting kind of annoying.

The HE fix is coming soon. I snuck in the lost focus fix with Niektory's fix, it was a trivial setting in the Unity player.

And these are other things I noticed:

Is there a way to go back to the main menu while inside a card battle? The Escape key didn't do that and as far as I could tell, there was no button anywhere to do so.

When selecting targets for a particular effect it seems weird that the game lets the player select however many targets they want. Wouldn't it make more sense to only let the player select up to the number of targets allowed by the effect?

Unfortunately, I didn't get time to add a "Surrender Game" option with this build. I meant to get this build out by Friday last week, it was Wednesday....I decided to release.

It's the thing I'm adding in right now. I apologize, I know it's annoying.

Selecting targets is also being fixed.

My blog
Kimari
Neophyte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »

I've just finished all the available missions for the first time and I have a one main thought:
I never, EVER wanted to go second because most of the time I ended up having to discard a card. As it is, it feels like either the second player should draw only 1 card or there should be more cards that don't require agents on the board and that only cost 1 credit and then a few more cards that cost 2.

Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 07:14:34 pm »

But is having to discard a card bad? I don't think so. You're not going to run out of cards (at least, I never did). And you can choose which one to discard, so you won't lose anything important.
Kimari
Neophyte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:01 pm »

Yes and no. It is true that I get to choose which card to discard and that lessens the loss. In most cases, I'll more than probably choose one that will only come into play way later in the game (a mech for example). This way I get to keep the faster cards that I can actually play in the first few turns. That does not mean that the discarded card was useless, to the contrary, most of the times when I reach something like 10 credits I'd give an arm and a leg for such a big card.
Discarding a card may not be the worst thing that can happen to you by a long shot but it feels wrong that the only times I have to do so are when I come in second. It gives the game this weirdly asymetric aspect that I just don't like.

Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:51 am »

Hmm. It's a fair point.

Discarding in that first hand isn't really a disadvantage, mathematically, but that doesn't say anything about how it feels. Which is just as important.

Generally, discarding feels like something has gone wrong. In the first turn, especially for new players, the natural feeling will be slight confusion as to whether they could have done something differently.

The player can choose to fill their deck with cheap cards, to make sure they can always play 2 in the first round, but that is generally not a good strategy, nor something new players are likely to even know to do at that point.

I'm happy to shift it to first player draws 0 cards, second player draws 1, thereafter they both draw 2.

My blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: