Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD January update  (Read 4500 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »

Welcome to 2013, boys and girls. Should be an exciting year.

As I'm sure you know, Steam has kindly greenlighted us and we're in the process of signing paperwork and such. They seem to be a bunch of friendly and helpful people, which is always nice. The "greenlighening" has attracted a lot of attention and increased the number of pre-orders, so we already feel the effect.

In unrelated news, we entered the demo into IGF 2013 in Oct. I've never thought that we would win, obviously, but hoped for a nomination. Didn't happen, sadly. The judge couldn't get out of the town and felt that the demo was "seriously limited". I explained but I guess the damage was already done. Oh well...

Working on a location aptly named Inferiae - (Rom. Antiq.) Sacrifices offered to the souls of deceased heroes or friends. Greatly expanded the main character's dialogue file, almost to the point of getting lost in the branches myself. You have a lengthy chat with this character and if she doesn't like your answers, you'll be offered as the aforementioned sacrifice.

Added another path there. Kinda tried another angle to see if it works and it worked. Added two more options if you do end up becoming a sacrifice and tied one of the options to another location, which fixed one of the issues in that location as well. So, all and all, I'm very pleased with this month's progress.

Now, on to the screenshots. House Aurelian. There are several scenarios there that determine how the conversation would go:

- agreed to find the temple for Antidas; serving House Daratan in a low capacity
- Daratan's praetor
- left Teron early, either in AG1, or after stealing Carrinas' documents, or any other case
- you are on Gaelius' personal shitlist, in which case it's not a conversation you want to have

Here is option #1 (the Etiquette option allows you to perform the 'weasel' maneuver).

So, now you're given an alternative, another reason to look for the temple, another viewpoint, and another faction to side with, work for, and deliver the temple to. If Antidas is a warrior who dreams of glory, Gaelius is a statesman who's trying to secure and grow his power and influence. He is a man of reason and he is not interested in magic and relics of the past, but he doesn't want them to fall into the wrong hands and boost his rivals' power.

Now, a question that was often asked is 'what happened if leave Teron early and miss on all the XP and kills?' If you leave Teron early and prove your eagerness to Gaelius, he will offer you a quest that won't be available to any other character:

IF you find the helmet and manage to keep it (don't forget the raiders), you can bring it to Gaelius and get your reward and the next quest or ... you can put it on and see what happens. Hint: something happens. Then you will unlock a new branch of the main quest that will eventually lead you to a very different ending.
Dickie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »

In unrelated news, we entered the demo into IGF 2013 in Oct. I've never thought that we would win, obviously, but hoped for a nomination. Didn't happen, sadly. The judge couldn't get out of the town and felt that the demo was "seriously limited". I explained but I guess the damage was already done. Oh well...
Like he couldn't just walk out of town or he finished some questline and was told the demo was over?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »

Couldn't leave the town, couldn't find something else to do. He went to Feng, then to Dellar, and thought that that's all it was (which, I agree, isn't much of a demo).
Commissar Draco
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »

Couldn't leave the town, couldn't find something else to do. He went to Feng, then to Dellar, and thought that that's all it was (which, I agree, isn't much of a demo).

lol Age of Decadence needs a quest compass , Gaelius is one smug bastard but sticking to Antidas should gives us greater prize; well done Vince can't wait till Thursday.  Salute
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:40:03 PM by Commissar Draco » Logged
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:4 P:10 I:10 Ch:4 Th 5 Bl 8 CS 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »

When we'll be testing the full game I should positively make savepoints more often, to explore the most interesting routes involving these epic artifacts and encounters  Approve

Good people disobey bad laws.
Dickie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »

For some reason, this makes me sad. BTW, when's R4? I know you love people asking when stuff is coming out.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »

AoD is not one for a quick first impression on a limited schedule. Still, it could have gone better. Ah well.

I always skip the screenshots now, want to discover stuff  in-game. But thanks for keeping these updates coming, and great to hear about progress.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
pianistamoeba

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »

I've no idea about the NA indie scene, but I did recently read that some other rather prolific indie developers (who have no less than won the IGF themselves) have expressed some doubts on the ability of the IGF staff to judge a quality game:
Quote from: Edmund McMillen
im pretty sure this is the last year ill be doing the IGF, judging is just far too upsetting, i dont respect the most of the judges at all anymore... and there seems to be a very upsetting theme where the winner of the IGF should be "the game that needs it most" and not the best game should win.

i think this is getting inflated by the past 2 years winners being high profile indie games, but people are going as far as basically removing points from "popular games" because they are already successful, or what they believe to be simply a "hive mind" mentality to vote for what is popular...

i think its a slap in the face to anyone who enters the IGF to be judged this way, and the more time that passes the more i feel like my IGF win was 100% due to these factors, and Gish didnt win because it was good but because we were the underdogs who needed it more... its honestly crushing.

the IGF has always been criticized by developers for its many faults, many of these faults have been greatly improved over the years.. but the fact remains, judging art is impossible and a gaggle of humans will judge however they feel fit regardless of the guidelines and rules.

So if you loose at the IGF this year, dont worry.. you might have actually won. and if you won, dont get too excited your game was probably just this years pity prize!

PS. Really nice job on Gaelius' characterization, he certainly gives an impression of a personality of absolute authority, though still coming out as a reasonable and interesting man without falling into the fantasy-autocrat cliche. Some good writing there.

The option illustrated in the screenshots is when leaving with the aurelian spy in AG1, I see. How about when I just leave Teron without doing any quests there - do I still somehow recieve his lordships audience and get the helmet quest?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:44:52 PM by pianistamoeba » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:15:37 PM »

PS. Really nice job on Gaelius' characterization, he certainly gives an impression of a personality of absolute authority, though still coming out as a reasonable and interesting man without falling into the fantasy-autocrat cliche. Some good writing there.
Thanks.

The option illustrated in the screenshots is when leaving with the aurelian spy in AG1, I see. How about when I just leave Teron without doing any quests there - do I still somehow recieve his lordships audience and get the helmet quest?
If you prove yourself useful somehow.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »

The reaction from IGF is a bit of a drag, but getting on Steam is IMO much, much more important.  Let's stick to one massive victory at a time!

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »

I'm starting to like Gaelius. Before now I always felt like he was some sort of bad guy, but now he seems a lot more neutral to me. I realize that in AoD there are no dedicated bad guys and good guys, but that was the vibe I was getting from the NPCs that mentioned him (Gaelius is the most powerful man in the land, Gaelius is trying to make an army equiped with blue steel, Gaelius this, Gaelius that). In hindsight, of course the people you meet in the Daratan capital wouldn't have anything particularly nice to say about him.

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
l3loodAngel
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »

... you can put it on and see what happens. Hint: something happens.

Something awesome?
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:4 P:10 I:10 Ch:4 Th 5 Bl 8 CS 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »

Most probably... untimely death  smug

Good people disobey bad laws.
terry
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »

Is that not the base reward for any stupid action in this game?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »

I'm starting to like Gaelius. Before now I always felt like he was some sort of bad guy, but now he seems a lot more neutral to me. I realize that in AoD there are no dedicated bad guys and good guys, but that was the vibe I was getting from the NPCs that mentioned him (Gaelius is the most powerful man in the land, Gaelius is trying to make an army equiped with blue steel, Gaelius this, Gaelius that). In hindsight, of course the people you meet in the Daratan capital wouldn't have anything particularly nice to say about him.
No, they wouldn't. Keep in mind that everything an NPC tells you is nothing but his/her opinion.

Gaelius *is* the most powerful man in the land and that alone is a good reason for some people to dislike him and scrutinize his actions. He is a good leader (better than Antidas and Meru), but he does want to rule all (for a simple reason that anything that's not under his control is a potential threat) and getting there won't be a smooth ride.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: