Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD December update  (Read 14115 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

Well, it's been a busy year. We've finally released the fully playable demo (after all these years), discovered that it's not what most people wanted and that it's exactly what 545 people wanted, and then tweaked it a few times. While the game is not a dream come true, it's not half bad and that's something.

The last release was very well received, so it does look like we're on the right track and we'd like to thank everyone for helping and supporting us - from people who spent so much time testing the demo to people who were open-minded enough to download the demo and give it a try, and, of course to those who pre-ordered the game to show their support.  Thanks, guys.

Other than tweaking the game systems, we did a lot of work on the rest of the game as well, improving it, evolving it, and applying what we learned from the demo release, so the game is shaping up to be better and better. I know that these words can sound hollow, but it's true nonetheless. I wish I could explain what we changed, how, and why, but I can't do it without spoiling the rest of the game significantly.

The Abyss was the last Maadoran area to be tweaked. Those who played the demo know what it was supposed to be originally - a destroyed area of the city. Its original purpose was merely to illustrate the nature of magic (i.e. THIS is what it does when applied liberally) and to give the player a chance to gain a few artefacts, provided he/she has the skills. Then I had an idea... Now, sometimes good ideas come right away and sometimes they don't, coming only after months or even years of staring at something thinking that it can be more, but the trick is that it has to fit everything else, almost like the last piece of the puzzle, so it takes a while to find the perfect fit. After all, what the hell can you find at the bottom of a crater? But then it hit me and it was beautiful (in a fucked up way) and I wrote ten pages worth of text, showed it to Gareth who loved it and had a strong opinion that there should be a lot more and was kind enough to offer his help.

So, can't tell you more than that, but take my word for it, it's quite something. So, that's about it. We tinker with the game one day at a time and so far it looks like it will be released next year. We have several good announcements to make and I'm sure that many people (well, 545 at least) will be pleasantly surprised, but we do appreciate the patronage and would surely like to show our appreciation with more than mere words.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

PS. Almost forgot - some screens. Mind you, I forgot to remove the portrait tag from some nodes and I don't have time to fix it, so it looks like you're always talking to Miltiades, even when you aren't. Sorry, but I'm already late for the party.

SniperHF
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »

While the game is not a dream come true, it's not half bad and that's something.

Speaking as a member of the 545......Not half bad is a dream come true these days smug

Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:4 P:10 I:10 Ch:4 Th 5 Bl 8 CS 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »

Thanks for the game, guys. It's actually a masterpiece one. Why? Because it still grabs my interest after over a year of intense testing! I ran through the streets of Teron and the neighborhood killing things performing quests for hundreds of times, and still every battle brings excitement and increased heartbeat. The game is a Munchkin dream come true, as playing even the most optimized build is still challenging enough, the most serious and well-equipped fighter still has great chances to lose a battle.

I can't wait to proceed to testing other locations  Salute

PS: thanks for the Miltiades spoiler. I always knew he would bring me some extra SP in future  Evil
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:02:41 AM by Vahhabyte » Logged

Good people disobey bad laws.
ERYFKRAD
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 03:00:40 AM »

Thanks for the game, guys. It's actually a masterpiece one. Why? Because it still grabs my interest after over a year of intense testing! I ran through the streets of Teron and the neighborhood killing things performing quests for hundreds of times, and still every battle brings excitement and increased heartbeat. The game is a Munchkin dream come true, as playing even the most optimized build is still challenging enough, the most serious and well-equipped fighter still has great chances to lose a battle.

I can't wait to proceed to testing other locations  Salute

PS: thanks for the Miltiades spoiler. I always knew he would bring me some extra SP in future  Evil

The best part being, even a non-genocidal-maniac can get through fights.
l3loodAngel
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 04:02:09 AM »

[Perception] You have increased the amount of blood on floor from enemies.
[Perception success] ?
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:4 P:10 I:10 Ch:4 Th 5 Bl 8 CS 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 04:19:20 AM »

The best part being, even a non-genocidal-maniac can get through fights.
Being a Munchkin is not about being genocidal, it's about gaining the maximum SP. I spared a dozen of lives for the sake of bonus SPs Wink

Good people disobey bad laws.
MidnightSun
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »

What if you let Militades go? He doesn't own you then right.
Also, what if you simply ran away from his goon in Teron, would he even remember you?

It's cool stuff, it's cool stuff. Once the weapons are more balanced this will shape out to be a very good game, I've already put countless of hours in.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 08:21:44 AM »

While the game is not a dream come true, it's not half bad and that's something.

Speaking as a member of the 545......Not half bad is a dream come true these days smug
Very true.  To be honest, it's still hard to believe that my ideas, ideas every gamer has, have actually materialized into a playable, "not half bad" game.

Thanks for the game, guys. It's actually a masterpiece one. Why? Because it still grabs my interest after over a year of intense testing!
Thank you, Vahha.

What if you let Militades go? He doesn't own you then right.
Also, what if you simply ran away from his goon in Teron, would he even remember you?
Then you'll never see him again.

We've developed that encounter in Teron into a fairly complex questline, but to trigger it you do need to show Miltiades that you're a very capable fighter. He won't try to get you killed again, but he will lie and manipulate you to get what he wants.
quasimodo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »

This next year or so will be good for TB RPG fans.  But I can safely say that the thing I am most looking forward to is meeting up with Miltiades again just to see what stunt he tries to pull next.  So merry Christmas ITS and thanks for all the hard work.
Resch
Journeyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

What's with all this "not half bad" bullshit, Vince? It's like you are purposefully underselling you own game. Why all this half-happiness? Sorry if I seem harsh, but I sense this is a good time for honesty. The first paragraph would certainly not sell me the game. Fuck, it even makes me angry somehow. It's like you've let all the retarded Greenlight comments get to you. And you're #12, last time I've heard (how's that going?). You should rub it in everyone's face with pride, but all I'm getting is a sense of defeat. Hate to say it, but I feel you need to turn the hype machine on. For all I know that's against your principles, but if that saved me from a boring-ass job I don't see why you are holding back. I'd be jerking off if I had 545 pre-orders (or ten for that matter). That's a tremendous fucking success for me.

PS. Since I'm already posting, I'd like to let Gareth know that he pisses me off with his renaissance man bullshit. You are too good in too many fields. But do keep it up, even if it makes me feel bad.

My music :: My art :: My FO2 maps :: My Twitter :: ITS Twitter

"There is always something to be done, even if it is sitting still and willing it to happen"
AbounI

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »

Thanks for the intensive work you deliver for AoD, Iron Tower crew.
Merry christmas everyone.

I wonder myself if you are ready to introduce some "filler character" from the backers (why not in some future monthly update), if their "parents" are allright of course.It will be a nice "giving thanks" for them, I guess
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »

And you're #12, last time I've heard (how's that going?).

We are #10 now.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »

What's with all this "not half bad" bullshit, Vince?
Seemed like a good way to describe the game.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I sense this is a good time for honesty. The first paragraph would certainly not sell me the game.
I wasn't trying to sell anything to anyone. The demo is available to all, so if someone wants to try it, I don't see how me saying that the game isn't half bad (as of opposite of me saying that it's the best ever) would turn people off. Sure, there are people who only play the best games, but I doubt that they would be interested in AoD.

If you want to know how I feel about AoD, I'll gladly tell you. First, I'm very, very proud of what the four of us have accomplished. It's an incredibly achievement - for four guys without previous experience, but when I rate it, I don't rate it as a game made by four individuals on a shoestring budget. I rate it as a game and as a game it has issues that I, as someone who has reviewed plenty of games, am well aware of. Second, I'm very happy with, well, pretty much everything - happy with the way the game evolved and turned out (so far), happy that so many people like the game, happy working on it. Even if it fails to sell enough to keep us in business, I'll still be happy that we did it.

Fuck, it even makes me angry somehow. It's like you've let all the retarded Greenlight comments get to you.
I don't. Actually, I think that the comments are overwhelmingly positive.

And you're #12, last time I've heard (how's that going?). You should rub it in everyone's face with pride, but all I'm getting is a sense of defeat.
I'm not the type, neither to rub something in someone's face, nor to feel defeated because someone didn't like the game. If I did, I wouldn't have left my job to focus on the game. All I care and think of is the game (questlines, flow, locations, and such), not of the current ranking and latest comments.  

That's a tremendous fucking success for me.
It is.

Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »

The dialogue in the screenshots is once again brilliant. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of good old Milty.

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
pianistamoeba

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »

Thanks for the update, Vince! I was hoping that it'd be a tad more informative on more concrete upcoming changes (R4, etc. also, I remember you writing that you'll elaborate a bit on what happens, when the player leaves Teron early).

I can appreciate your humility concerning your own game, but repeatedly calling it "not half bad" definitely feels like an understatement. Like Vahha already hinted, AoD has the special aura of a game that becomes more interesting the more you play it. It might have rough edges, but it's still definitely a gem that,when properly polished, will be appreciated by much more than the 545 (which I'm not a part of - card problems, don't want to go into excuses - will do it eventually).

Anyway, keep fighting the good fight and don't mind the whiners. Wish you a good beginning year.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: