Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD August update  (Read 6279 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »

I'm busy working on ten things at once, so I'll keep it short. We're still working on alchemy and planning to start beta-testing it in Sep. Since we're getting closer, Oscar went over Teron one last time, fixing what's been reported and forcing me to add extra content here and there.

Now you can score bonus loyalty points by selling info to Linos and telling him that Cado's planning to attack the shipment. You can loot Carrinas' body - the most requested "feature". IG1 was tweaked based on the feedback we received. Plus, your grifter, loremaster, and thief will have more things to do.

Sneak preview:

A well-dressed woman opens the door, looking at you quizzically. You can’t help but notice her rings and the necklace. Stones like these are bound to fetch a good price.

1. [grifter] "Lady Anthea, I presume? I'm happy to inform you that Lord Gaelius has agreed. You're expected to arrive to Maadoran within a fortnight."
2. Wait till the dark and pay her a visit
3. Leave.

If 1:

"You have the privilege of addressing Lady Camilla Domitia Planca." Before she closes the door, her curiosity gets the better of her. "You were saying something about Lord Gaelius and Maadoran?"

[streetwise] "You are not Lady Anthea? A thousand apologies! Please tell me I can count on your discretion. It’s a highly sensitive matter involving the most noble of Houses."

[success] "My lips are sealed," says Camilla, her eyes sparkling with interest, "but only if you tell me more."

[streetwise][etiquette] "Well, I suppose it's hardly a secret that Lord Gaelius has certain, let's say, difficulties with his nephew. He thinks that what the young man needs is a good wife, a woman of proper standing and qualities to keep him from troubles."

"It's very true," nods Camilla. "Do continue."

PC: "I saw an old orrery at Thessalos' house today. According to it, there was a full planetary alignment just before the war. I was wondering –"

Feng: "If it had anything to do with the war? Don’t be daft. The planets travel in circles, so every now and then some of them align. Two-planet alignments are common as dirt, while the so-called great alignment is the rarest and most magnificent of events. Still, it’s nothing but a natural event - no more significant than the blooming of a rare flower. Of course, the magi were all over it, but they were always obsessed with otherworldly energies."
   "Why were they so interested?"
"I can’t say, not being a magus myself," smirks Feng. "Something about wells."
   "Wells? What do the alignments have to do with wells?"
"Not wells you draw water from. Mystical wells that can't be seen with the naked eye. Wells large enough to swallow celestial bodies whole! Can you imagine such a thing? Ah, why am I wasting time on you? Go do something useful."
1. [intelligence]...
2. Leave.

/same question to Cassius:

"An event of that magnitude? An event that takes place once every three hundred million years? One can’t consider himself well-read, if one hasn't devoted an appropriate amount of time to familiarize oneself with it.

"It was a time of hope and speculation. What does it mean for mankind? What does it bring? And most importantly, how may we benefit ourselves and have we done everything we could to do so?"
   "What do you mean?"

Oscar's still tinkering with the dialogue interface, as you can see. We had many complaints about the font and readability:

"Hi, I love your upcoming game. But I have noticed that the in-game text of characters' dialogues exceed the 10 word per row which in typography (like in any books) are usually suggested to make a comfortable reading experience. The actual average of 25 words per row in Age of Decadence are unpleasant to read, especially when reading text is one of the most immersive aspect of a game like yours. It would be a pity that a promising game which seem so deep like Fallout classic, can be compromised by an uncomfortable text reading experience.

I hope my tip from a "typographical" view point can be useful."

It was. So, we've increased the font size, tweaked ol' Torque a bit to make sure it stops fucking around with fonts, and changed the layout.

I finished tweaking and expanding the mountain pass and the Ordu camp locations. I rarely praise my own work, but you guys are going to love them. The Ordu camp has a LOT of different options and outcomes, both for the Ordu and the attack on the pass.

I'll continue to introduce characters and questlines. Today's guest is General Pavola of the Imperial Guards. He served with Carrinas in the wasteland and has nothing but good things to say about him. He isn't the brightest tool, but he's the closest to being a "good guy" in the game, so don't say that the world is bleak and shit, when it has people like Pavola, ok?

The IG questline starts shortly after the MG plot fails (if you play as a merchant, it might succeed, if you play as an assassin, you will be kicking much ass and taking out key players left and right):

l3loodAngel
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »

Awesome as always.  Salute
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »

Will be fun to see the changes! Looking good.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:6 P:8 I:10 Ch:4 Th 6 Bl 8 CS 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »

I just parted with a gf last week, so I got some extra spare time for exploiting testing Alchemy  Approve
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:27:53 AM by Vahhabyte » Logged

Good people disobey bad laws.
John Yossarian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »

Loving pavola  Salute
bam65
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »

With all the fat fucks and sons of bitches in this game I guess it's going to be for mature audiences only.  Grin
Vahhabyte

S:5 D:7 C:6 P:8 I:10 Ch:4 Th 6 Bl 8 CS 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »

I guess every 20th word in the text is related to the word 'fuck' Smile For the sake of the 'atmosphere', I guess.

Good people disobey bad laws.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »

Can I just say how pretty the game is looking these days? Damn pretty.

Nice dialogue too. Wink

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »

Thanks!
AbounI

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »

Good things coming again.Thanks for this earlier update.Didn't expect it for today  Salute
jquicka
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 03:59:51 AM »

Screens look great and promising. Will users be involved in the beta testing in september? Count me in  Smile
Baudolino05
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 05:50:13 AM »

Well done, Vince. love the new interface and glad to hear about new options, quests and stuff to do.
Just one question: are you still planning to hide the skill tag during dialogues and text adventure parts, at least before the selection? I would love it...
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »

Yes.
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »

I like what I see. Approve

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
AbounI

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »

I like what I see. Approve

Yes.Didn't realize first, but yes, the new interface reminds me the ancient version, like this one:

Verilly old school, like the 80/90's RPG GUI style.So, I can only approve how the GUI is backing to his roots.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: