Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 19696 times)
EleventhHour
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:28 pm »

I've had enough of your snide insinuations, your disingenuous assertions, and your tabloid journalism.

Your Aspie score: 61 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php
Gregorus Prime

Cheese and Whine Distributed Freely

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2012, 12:21:55 am »

And your mendacious asservations, duplicitious contentions, and fallacious overments!

Also good show on MaximillionMiles's part.
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 12:53:28 am »

Got to play for a little bit.

Initial impressions:

First of all, I'm pleasantly surprised how well the game runs on my outdated laptop.  Runs smoother and loads faster than ME2.  Also looks better than ME2.  Engine is solid.

Combat reminiscent of ME2 for the most part.  It's a corridor shooter, but maneuvering around is less cumbersome and there's more feedback.  Playing Vanguard is fucking awesome.  The new perks are great, and combined with Nova I can lay waste to the extreme.  I focused on the perks that reduce cooldowns, so Charge is up constantly.  Pick target, annihilate, reposition.  If one were to watch a Vanguard through a surveillance camera, one would surrender immediately.  Charged melee attacks add to the fun. Still in the early stages, but I will almost certainly have to increase the difficulty.  Now there is also more information on how skills work, the skills have been tuned and elaborated in a sensible fashion, weak abilities have been augmented.  Powers as a whole have been improved in my opinion.  There is more, not less, than ME2. 

Weapons are better, even if they "feel" less weighty.  You can carry more weapons than in ME2, but each weapon type has a weight, and the more weight the higher your cooldowns.  I run extremely light which grants me a huge bonus to my cooldowns which in turn allows me to blast around the battlefield destroying everything and completely disorienting the AI.  Occasionally enemies use smoke which breaks my LoS, and I love them for it.  I would venture to guess that players wishing to rely on Tech/Biotics could almost forgo weapons entirely and skill up cooldowns/damage bonuses for powers, becoming "spellcasters" instead.  Did I mention playing Vanguard is fun?

Voice acting has been good so far.  Music and writing both good, though occasionally melodramatic.  Music sometimes very good.  Graphics improved, style improved, interiors improved.  I'm not deep enough to speak about character interaction, and since I don't really care about lore I can't speak to that either. 

Dialog options have been almost entirely lacking so far, just different versions of the same thing i.e.: 1. "Over my dead body", 2. "You're wasting time!", 3. "You're deluded."  If the voice-acting was less deft this would be more obvious, I think. 

There's already been a few nods to my ME2 save that I imported, though little has been made of my heavy skew toward Renegade.

Very early in the game, but so far so good.  I actually want to kill things.  I'll mention again that I liked ME2.  This feels like a better ME2.  Almost like a sequel of some kind.

More tomorrow, when I expect to have a few hours to burn.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2012, 03:08:53 am »

Very well said, Max.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
GC13
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2012, 10:35:18 pm »

I had a feeling you'd find it fun, Wolf, judging from all the chatter about it.

I'm much less cavalier about my ability to wait for a price drop.  It would be easier if I didn't have a ME2 collector's edition, but my completionist instinct is forcing a lot of Will saves in a row here.  I have to roll a one sooner or later...
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2012, 04:17:41 am »

Initial impressions after playing 4 hours :

(click to show/hide)

The plot may pick up later, when I get into the sup-plots, but the main plot so far is rubbish. I liked the first few hours of ME2 much more. Gameplay is decent enough, about on par with ME2 so far. But I'm not far in, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 11:08:48 am »

^ Definitely true.  In addition to being completely implausible, the plot is also completely uninspired. 

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 11:49:52 am »

So...

(click to show/hide)

The Turian moon bit was neat though, impressive environment.

My blog
xantrius

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:55 pm »

Finished it recently. Found the combat more engaging with my Soldier than I remember from ME2 heh. Especially was the new Prothean squad member a  disappointment for me; theoretically I'd liked to have learned more about the Prothean  civilisation and culture haha no. Also the ending, or endings if you will, makes sense of all the Reaper inanity imo.

Forgettable game is forgettable.   

Once you enter into a polemic with someone and then abruptly leaves, then people will usually think that you hate them. ~ Nietzsche (paraphrased)   

[...]Pathologic has the most 'elite' RPG features like superb story, exploration, dialogues, C&C - and takes them to such a high level that few RPGs ever aspired. [...]
Volourn
Craftsman

This is personal text so don't read it.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 01:53:13 pm »

I do agree that the Planet Earth intro is really weak. Evil

RPG = Game you play a role in.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2012, 01:56:10 pm »

Ok, it turns out the reason the Reapers didn't just nuke earth is because they literally are robot-necromancers. You fight robo-zombie versions of each species as well as zombie dragon things. The lore also says that the Reapers are literally all constructed out of entire harvested races.

It's stupid, but I suppose it's consistent with the ending of ME2. I just find it disconcerting to read the sci-fi lore, where leans in the hard sci-fi direction with the mass relays and so on, and then read "and they build new Reapers out of captured species". How, exactly? It's not just stealing their tech research and maybe scanning DNA samples for anything interesting. It's literally that they seem to need thousands of warm bodies as raw materials.

Silly.

My blog
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »

According to some dev in a Q&A I can't seem to find anymore, the Reapers liquefy people in order to harvest their gluons for use as raw materials for Reaper neural net construction. Still dumb.

It gets dumber still in the ending reveal:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:06:06 pm by Gregorus Prime » Logged
Calego
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »

Not my gluons!

Moreover, I think that Carthage must be destroyed.
Dragatus

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 01:27:23 am »

They need to liquify people for their gluons? Really?  Wallbang That's not how gluons work. It's sort of like saying they need to liquify people for their electrons or protons, only even more absurd.

"A little while ago, a good friend's wife asked me what playing Dungeons & Dragons involved. Long story short, it turns out that it's basically improv without an audience or time pressure, and a lot of rules. Every time anyone wants to attempt something, it's basically subject to a referee. Who is incidentally trying to kill you. In a fair and impartial manner." - Priapist

A Basic Guide to Combat in age of Decadence
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2012, 01:57:41 am »

Shit, I meant glial cells. Somehow it got mixed with neurons in my head and the two words mixed together. In my defense I was posting from my cell phone during my lunch break. So the brain cells in your brain that aren't known to do much of anything on their own, mostly acting as structural support and assisting in the regulation of neurological processes, are what the Reapers use to make their giant terminator version of themselves.

Again, bear in mind this was from some Q&A I can't seem to find anymore, so I could be wrong, but at least it's some sort of explanation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: