Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD June Update  (Read 15457 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »

A new month, and a new update about AoD! Sorry for the late post, but we've been working hard to show you something you have been waiting to see for quite some time... In this past month, we've been working hard on the civil AI and animations. Merchants selling their goods, people walking around, interacting with each other, workers carrying crates and other stuff. Nick created the system needed for this and now we are creating distinct civil AIs, like merchants, workers, tavern patrons, blacksmiths, beggars, librarians, miners, etc. We are still working on them, right now we don't have many, but now that the basic system is down we'll continue creating more in the following month. You will also hear some great music from a new composer that is working with us. He really nailed the style and mood we want for AoD, and we are very happy to have him on board.

The Age of Decadence - Teron's Plaza - Civil Animations

Also, our great 2D artist is working on revamping the interface. The goal is to make an interface with a distinct style, that shows more of the gameworld, and that works better with multiple resolutions and aspect rations, plus some customization options. It's still a work in progress, but here are some screens that shows the style we are aiming for. Any opinions and suggestions are welcomed!

DISCLAIMER: The GUI is a photoshop mock-up on top of real game screens. We haven't implemented it yet.

Now, on the quest front, we have all quests for Teron implemented. We are working hard right now on checking all the variables and possible situations that might arise due to player actions, and having the game world react to them (and to avoid bugs and quests breaking). For example, I can foresee some players trying to kill everyone in town, and the gameworld should react logically to that. Truth be told, sometimes we wish we were developing a linear platformer Tongue

That would all for this month. I hope you liked the video and screens, and looking forward to your comments!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:59:02 AM by Oscar » Logged

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:54 PM »

New animations look nice and I'm enjoying the new music.

I didn't really think the interface needed to be changed, but I guess it probably needed to be fixed for the console crowd.
ninjelephant
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03:54 PM »

Just a quick post, gotta study xD

Animations look really good, the new music track fits the setting.
As for nitpicking: I know all those people are busy and all, but the walking seems a bit too fast maybe?
The general idea for GUI is nice, although it's a bit artificial looking right now, maybe ditch the shiny box outlines, put something more robust like.
Also a few ambiental sounds would to wonders, I think this was discussed before, what was the verdict about it?

Keep up the great work!  Salute

I used to do drugs..
I still do, but I used to too.
catmorbid

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »

Man, those workers must be wrecks by 30, judging by their lifting technique Wink

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"
Lainestin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »

Man, those workers must be wrecks by 30, judging by their lifting technique Wink

Yea, they should probably lift with their knees.

FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »

Blah blah blah stuff I don't care about... wait a minute... that screenshot... BOLAS!!!!

*ahem*

Actually, that's really pretty excellent. Nicely animated, good lifting form or otherwise. And I do love the new composition, it's very tasteful and captures both the Mediterranean influences and the sparseness of post-apocalyptic life.

That said, bolas. I won't rest until I see them in action.

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm." - Samuel L. Clemens
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »

Also a few ambiental sounds would to wonders, I think this was discussed before, what was the verdict about it?

They are in, of course.

Yeah, I was writing a mail to Ivan telling him to make them use their legs, especially for big boxes.

I didn't really think the interface needed to be changed, but I guess it probably needed to be fixed for the console crowd.

Actually, it's for the PC crowd. These fuckers should all use the same resolution and aspect ratio, but they don't.

ninjelephant
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »

Violation of NPC rights detected.
Quick, call Amnesty International!  lol

I used to do drugs..
I still do, but I used to too.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »

Actually, that's really pretty excellent. Nicely animated, good lifting form or otherwise. And I do love the new composition, it's very tasteful and captures both the Mediterranean influences and the sparseness of post-apocalyptic life.

Yeah, the whole track is pretty cool Grin

That said, bolas. I won't rest until I see them in action.

One of these days Wink

Esquilax
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:48:22 PM »

This composer is really great - I love the track. Very moody and it fits perfectly. Btw, was this the guy who wrote it? I checked out his web site and some of his tracks, he's quite talented:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=2069.0

Teron looks like a living, breathing town. I see merchants, beggars, laborers, a few nobles in robes, and of course some badass looking guards at the entrance of that opulent-looking building. I'm guessing that other places in Teron won't look nearly this nice and bustling, I seem to remember it being called a "shithole" in the Combat Demo. Probably a lot more beggars, thieves and run-down buildings in other parts of the place.

Er... now can you tell us when the demo is coming out?!

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »

This composer is really great - I love the track. Very moody and it fits perfectly. Btw, was this the guy who wrote it? I checked out his web site and some of his tracks, he's quite talented:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=2069.0

Yep, that's him.

Teron looks like a living, breathing town. I see merchants, beggars, laborers, a few nobles in robes, and of course some badass looking guards at the entrance of that opulent-looking building. I'm guessing that other places in Teron won't look nearly this nice and bustling, I seem to remember it being called a "shithole" in the Combat Demo. Probably a lot more beggars, thieves and run-down buildings in other parts of the place.

That big building is the Commercium headquarters, they are quite rich bastards. The rest of the town doesn't fare so well.

Er... now can you tell us when the demo is coming out?!

We have an internal release date for the demo, but we won't give it for now. But definitely before November.

Dicksmoker
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 12:41:59 AM »

Can you talk to everyone? Or are the people who you can talk to ones that will be standing still, or what?
bilharzia
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »

UI looks significantly better. Any chance we could see the character screen?
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 01:56:21 AM »

Near the end of Eschalon: Book II (the final scene) you have the ability (and the power) to kill one of the main characters (he was too powerful to kill early game), so when you kill him the game would say something like "well done, you have broken the game" and the game will end Wink

It was very funny actually.
JuJu
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 02:20:19 AM »

I like the animations, except the walking speed is too fast.

I don't like the new UI though. The individual elements look good, but composition is off. My main gripe is that it is visually imbalanced. The first image is ok - all the UI is in one corner and it is inherently asymmetrical. The second image, though makes me cringe. You have a big box in the left side, a slightly smaller one in the middle, and only some buttons in the right. That makes the whole UI look tapered and neither symmetrical nor obviously asymmetrical. It just doesn't look good.
My suggestion for fixing this would be making middle menu bigger by moving AP and HP indicators above the  weapons, as they currently require to divert attention from middle of the screen to a corner seldom used in combat, and adding greyed out non-combat options to the right hand panel, to make it the same size as others. This solution obviously interferes with the minimalistic non-combat menu which is seen in the first screenshot, but I'm sure there is a way to fix it.
Another solution might be to move the action buttons and HP/AP indicators to the middle of the screen and weapon menu to the right, possibly stacking it vertically, to gain better composition, but it has a drawback of having to often move mouse to corner of the screen to change attack types, unless there is better interface to do that.

The main problem with third screen is that the inventory seems to be docked to the left edge, while the equipment menu to the center of the screen. That leaves completely empty space on the right edge, which looks bad, and with increasing resolution, the gap between those two parts of interface will increase, meaning player will have to travel over a large empty space to get from one menu to the other. My suggestion would be to dock both of these menus to the center of the screen, but slightly offset, to get a visual balance. It would leave unused edges, but it is better to have them be symmetrical rather than asymmetrical.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: