Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 4/25 Monday Design Update - Weapons: 9MM Pistol  (Read 35666 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:53:13 pm »

Last week we showed off the hunting shotgun, which was our first introduction to ranged weapons in the game. This week we’re showing off another firearm, specifically the 9MM pistol. Since this gun can take quite a few modifications, let’s talk a bit more about mods.

Almost every ranged weapons in Dead State can be fitted with a mod made especially to fit that type of weapon. To be able to create mods, you will need a workshop built in your shelter and someone with the mechanical skills required to machine the parts. Mods can offer additional functionality to a weapon (like a flashlight), but generally they make the weapon faster to reload, extend their range, or increase their accuracy. This makes their time/part investment much higher than melee weapons, but they are a great way to extend the viability of a favorite weapon.

In the pic below, the 9MM on top is the basic model, while the one below has been modded with an extended clip and silencer. The 9MM is an all-around average gun, and since ammo for it is more common, it is a useful gun for ranged players to hang onto.  Things like the extended clip make it useful for taking lots of shots without reloading, while the silencer mod always gives it an advantage when staying quiet is a goal.

Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of the pistol class of ranged weapons:

PROS

-More common, especially the 9MM.
-Ammo for some pistols is easier to find.
-1-Handed, no penalty to switch to other 1-handed weapons.
-Mods are cheaper.
-AP cost generally lower than 2-handed weapons.
-Fairly accurate within range.
-Not as noisy as other guns, 9MM can be silenced.

CONS

-Chance to critical not as high.
-Maximum range is not great.
-Most pistols are less effective against armored targets.
-Not the most effective weapon against undead.

The 9MM pistol is common because it’s popular weapon with law enforcement, military personnel, and gun owners. It’s a very good primary or secondary weapon. It’s not terribly noisy, but it can attract attention if too many shots are fired consecutively. Its damage range is a bit unreliable, but it does the job.

Hands: 1 (AP cost for switching weapons)
Range: 4 (Average range)
AP Cost Firing: 4 AP
AP Cost Reloading: 4 AP
Ammo Capacity: 8 (Decent)
Ammo Type: 9MM Ammo
Type: Ballistic (Good against humans/non-ballistic armor)
Damage: 15-40 (Average damage)
Noise: 8 (Moderately loud)
Critical Hit Chance: 5% (Decent chance)
Critical Multiplier: 1.5 (Small critical multiplier)
Weight: 6 (Not too heavy)
Break: 0 (Weapon will not break)
Mods:

Extended Clip – Expands Ammo Capacity to 18.
Silencer – Reduces noise by 4.
Laser Sight – Improves Accuracy by 10%.
Recoil Reduction – Absorbs shock, -1 AP to firing cost.

There are quite a few mods for the 9MM, so investing in them for the 9MM will make it a good ranged weapon to keep at your side. We’ll reveal some of the other types of ranged weapons in a future update.
Iron Wolf
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »

Hi, I know I'm new but I felt the need to let you know that the thing that holds the bullets in that pistol  is called a magazine not a clip. A clip is something different. Most automatic pistols use magazines.  I'm looking forward to the game and I hope this helps!
Zombra
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »

Very excited to hear about weapon modding!

I made a post yesterday about how I'm not into different ammo types (too much micromanagement), but improving weapons at the base is the kind of thing I can really get into.  It always makes me feel like my characters have become veterans.

Also, love the art for the 9mm.  Mean looking gun.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »

Yes, Joao made an excellent job there, plus that's the ingame model, it's very low poly (which you can't tell just by looking it).

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:35:46 pm »

Great update, and I have to agree, the visual design of the gun is excellent!  Approve

Out of curiosity, how high does the Noise scale go?  The highest I've seen is the shotgun at 20, I think.  Is that the highest it goes, or are there higher values for sirens/alarms or explosions? 

Also, you said that the 9mm isn't very noisy, but will attract attention if used consecutively.  How will that work?  Are the values going to stack, so that every time you shoot your pistol, 8 gets added to the noise meter?  Or will it be more like sending out a radar blip; a noise of 8 reaches a certain distance, and attracts zombies within that distance, and as long as you keep firing from the same location, all zombies in that radius will use it to home in on you?

I'm mostly wondering if a lot of "quieter" noises, like small arms fire or kicking in multiple doors, will eventually attract zombies from all corners of the map, or is the sound confined to an area by how much Noise it makes?

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Vander
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:51 am »

It is the only thing i dont like.  Smile Not that the gun is badly done, for a in-game model it is excelent, but i just cant stand plastic guns like this one. (wich make me think of Glock immediatly). Nothing better than good old steel! But it is clearly not an important point, just me grumbling. Wink

But the rest is perfect. A question though: does some mods have drawbacks? Like, for example the silencer reducing precision/damage?
GunFox
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:53:48 am »

For the record, .45 would likely be the quietest real caliber you would use. Muzzle retort is slightly louder than 9mm, but .45 is subsonic. The sonic boom made by bullets is a significant portion of their sound.

.22 is also quite quiet, but it also isn't really a combat caliber.

Even if you suppressed a 9mm, you still probably won't have access to the subsonic ammunition necessary to use a suppressed 9mm. (Okay, there is one exception to this, the MP-5SD is suppressed and uses normal supersonic ammunition, but that is due to the suppressor being integrated into the firearm and designed to release the pressure in a fashion that drops the bullets down below the sound barrier. It is really quite nifty. But also extremely rare.)

I'm not complaining, just comparing it to reality. I understand that gameplay demands some manner of tinkering with reality in order to accomplish your goals. Grin

(wich make me think of Glock immediatly).

Probably because it IS a glock. Tongue

But SHHHHH don't tell glock!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:56:54 am by GunFox » Logged
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »

Yes, Joao made an excellent job there, plus that's the ingame model

Nice! Smile

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Dean101
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31:52 am »

Wow, all the weapon stats look very carefully planed, and well thought out. I can't wait to see how it balances out with the game play. Kudos

Edit: Will one talented person be able to modify all the weapons in the game, or will certain weapons require other, more specific  disciplines? 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:41:06 am by Dean101 » Logged
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 01:34:53 am »

For the record, .45 would likely be the quietest real caliber you would use. Muzzle retort is slightly louder than 9mm, but .45 is subsonic. The sonic boom made by bullets is a significant portion of their sound.

.22 is also quite quiet, but it also isn't really a combat caliber.

Even if you suppressed a 9mm, you still probably won't have access to the subsonic ammunition necessary to use a suppressed 9mm. (Okay, there is one exception to this, the MP-5SD is suppressed and uses normal supersonic ammunition, but that is due to the suppressor being integrated into the firearm and designed to release the pressure in a fashion that drops the bullets down below the sound barrier. It is really quite nifty. But also extremely rare.)

I'm not complaining, just comparing it to reality. I understand that gameplay demands some manner of tinkering with reality in order to accomplish your goals. Grin

Whew, gun nuts must be the bane of game developers Wink
GURPS has a great sourcebook on firearms, btw: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/modernfirepower/

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
catmorbid

"There's more to the picture, than meets the eye"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 02:31:57 am »

Looks great. The glock type 9mm is somewhat iconic with its simplified looks, so I think it's a great fit. The amount of mods is especially pleasing to me, although realisticalyl, you wouldn't have to mod the weapon to give it a bigger magazine, just make the magazine bigger =) But then again, to represent this realistically, you'd have to keep track of each empty magazine in stock as well, which wouldn't be that nice, I reckon Tongue

However, I can't help but comment on how you write '9MM' everywhere. The correct way to write millimetre is 'mm' not 'MM' - the latter could be something like Megamunchkin, but certainly not millimetre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units) =)

Brian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 06:02:17 pm »

However, I can't help but comment on how you write '9MM' everywhere. The correct way to write millimetre is 'mm' not 'MM' - the latter could be something like Megamunchkin, but certainly not millimetre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units) =)

"9MM" is also its designation in the game right now. I guess we could call it something like the "Killsmith 9mm" or whatever, but right now all the weapons have names either based on their function or caliber.
Hiver
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 06:39:04 pm »

Is there any different ammo for it and have you ever considered increasing chance to score criticals the closer the enemy gets as a general rule?

My first axiom:
Never, ever think about or make any conclusions about life, universe and everything else while youre depressed, suffering a trauma, a tragedy and or being drunk.

What the hell do you expect you will come up with in such a state?
catmorbid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:07 pm »

"9MM" is also its designation in the game right now. I guess we could call it something like the "Killsmith 9mm" or whatever, but right now all the weapons have names either based on their function or caliber.

I'd go for calibre plus weapon type, e.g. "9mm pistol" or ".357 revolver" as weapon name. I don't think fictional weapon manufacturers would add anything. But anyway, I just wanted to point that the m's in the 9mm should be lower case, that's all =)

thiosk
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:12 pm »

Maybe real gun manufacturers would pay for product placement of their products.  I know if I was in marketing at Glock, I would love for my products to be placed in zombie games.

Typically I'd rail against the inclusion of such things in a game, but for some reason a zombie RPG seems the perfect place for real-world weapons.

"Glock doesn't kill people.  Glock kills zombies!  quietly"

"Ruger: Guaranteed Never to Jam when you're in a Jam"

"When the Zombies get Bob and Jim, think Smith&Wesson"

"Beretta:  Homeowner's Zombie Insurance." 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: