Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3/7 Monday Design Update - Weapons: Pitchfork  (Read 23218 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:07 pm »

It’s time for another weapon update. This week we’re introducing the polearm class, and to kick it off, here’s a look at the pitchfork.

But before we get rolling on the specifics of the pitchfork, here’s a look at the pros and cons of the polearm class:

Pros

-Range allows for distance melee attack on enemies
-Highest critical multiplier
-Medium to high damage
-Can inflict multiple statuses like knockdown, knockback, and bleeding

Cons

-Very slow
-Less accurate when not attacking from optimal range
-Best weapons in this class are rare
-All are 2-handed (switching penalty)

Polearms are best used to strike and move, keeping space between you and your opponent.  The better ones can be used to trip or knockback opponents, while causing additional bleeding damage. Piercing damage is especially useful since most armors do not protect against it. While piercing isn’t terribly useful for zombies, playing a knockdown or distance game can give polearm users the option of either fighting defensively or giving themselves a head start when making a break for it.

Let’s look at the pitchfork.

Hands: 2 (AP cost for switching weapons)
Range: 2 (Attack from a distance)
Type: Piercing (Good against humans/armor)
Stat Chance: Knockback 10%, Knockdown 25%, Bleeding 10%
Noise: 5 (Quiet weapon)
Strength: 4 (Average strength required to wield)
ZDamage: 50% (Not very good against undead)
Critical Hit Chance: 5% (Minor chance for criticals)
Critical Multiplier: 3.25 (Good critical multiplier)
Weight: 4 (Not heavy)
Break: 0 (Weapon will not break)

Basic Attack – The default attack
AP Cost: 5 (Decent attack speed)
Damage: 15-40 (Good damage, especially if causing bleeding)

Trip – An attack that sends enemies to the ground
AP Cost: 6 (Slower)
Damage: 5-15 (Minor damage)
Modifier: Knockdown 75%

Pin – An attack that holds an enemy in place
AP Cost: 7 (Slow)
Damage: 15-40
Modifier: Accuracy -50%, Hold (x2 rounds, if successful)

From the above stats you can gather that the pitchfork’s normal attack is pretty nice, especially if it scores a critical or your opponent is lightly armored. Its secondary attacks are great for teamwork – use knockdown to help keep enemies off friends, and use pin to hold melee attackers or zombies in place while allies finish them off. The pitchfork’s not the highest level of polearm (for those you’re going to have to do some major exploration) but it’s a good weapon to have equipped when you’ve got melee attackers moving on you.

Keep watching this space for more Dead State item updates.
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:26:13 pm »

Pinning sounds like a nice original weapon effect. That would be zombie-effective if you had a buddy for coup de grace.

Actually, could that be added to AoD trident effects?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:28:21 pm by sporky » Logged

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
CORMAC MCCARTHY, The Road
Rake
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:57:37 am »

Looks good, but I'm curious as to why it has the highest critical multiplier?  I would think that more fitting for dismembering weapons where as piercing would be more likely to have a higher crit chance.  Though against most armor it would be rough to get four prongs through as opposed to a single spiked weapon.
SonOfCapiz
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:14:12 am »

i want to throw it1  Evil

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget, I will not forget you.

See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands...
- Isaiah 49:15-16
mrwasabi90
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:44:29 am »

Looks good, but I'm curious as to why it has the highest critical multiplier?  I would think that more fitting for dismembering weapons where as piercing would be more likely to have a higher crit chance.  Though against most armor it would be rough to get four prongs through as opposed to a single spiked weapon.

I think it makes sense. Stabs to the torso and abdomen tend to be almost immediately fatal, and a more efficient technique compared to slashing as shown by the use the gladius by the Romans.
Joseph
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:32:40 am »

Now we're talking!
wiande
Craftsman

Me so glad DS gonna kick some ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:56:30 am »

finaly one decent update

Turn based uber alles!
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:28:14 pm »

Great update Brian!

When using a weapon, do allies have the same three choices for attacks as the PC does, or do they only use a basic attack?

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
RadioactiveMan
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 11:24:20 am »

I rarely, if ever, use polearms but I like this idea!  Approve
I find polearms are usually less satisfying than other weapons, so I like the idea of them having special abilities and a longer reach in DeadState

Question:  Can a Pinned enemy still engage opponents in melee if they get too close? In other words, if I pin a zombie, and my teammate comes in to follow up with her kitchen knife, can the zombie attack her?  Can the zombie only attack in the direction he was facing when pinned? Can I use two polearm-carrying dudes to chain Pins on alternate turns to immobilize for longer lengths of time?
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:42:39 am »

When using a weapon, do allies have the same three choices for attacks as the PC does, or do they only use a basic attack?

I may be wrong, but I think the combat will be similar to AoD, so that NPCs would have all the attacks we would. (Except Zombies)

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
CORMAC MCCARTHY, The Road
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:12:38 pm »

I find polearms are usually less satisfying than other weapons, so I like the idea of them having special abilities and a longer reach in DeadState

Question:  Can a Pinned enemy still engage opponents in melee if they get too close? In other words, if I pin a zombie, and my teammate comes in to follow up with her kitchen knife, can the zombie attack her?  Can the zombie only attack in the direction he was facing when pinned? Can I use two polearm-carrying dudes to chain Pins on alternate turns to immobilize for longer lengths of time?
Currently "pin" is a hold, making the enemy unable to take a turn. It's got a lower to-hit rate to make it less cheap. If it's still too powerful, we'll tone it down.
NiKo
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 04:40:17 pm »

Pitchfork is interesting weapon.
"Pinning sounds like a nice original weapon effect. That would be zombie-effective if you had a buddy for coup de grace."
 +1

And why do I immediately remembered Caleb from Blood?  Smile
RadioactiveMan
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »

Currently "pin" is a hold, making the enemy unable to take a turn. It's got a lower to-hit rate to make it less cheap. If it's still too powerful, we'll tone it down.

Cheers- thanks for the info. Can't wait to play this!
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:25:34 am »

The more updates I read the better I feel, not just about having an engaging game to play, but about the future of isometric RPGs generally.  Each successive RPG from Bioware makes the gap which traditional indie RPGs can fill bigger and bigger.

I'm guessing you've borrowed some of AoD's combat functionality for a (fantastic, I love polearms and even specifically the pitchfork as envisioned in Phantasie II) weapon like this.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 11:00:34 am »

The more updates I read the better I feel, not just about having an engaging game to play, but about the future of isometric RPGs generally. 
I'll feel good if the games sell at a sustainable level. For now it remains an unproven business model.

but it’s just that right now it’s all about games as a service. We can make money out of it, but you can make more money elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: