Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of DecadenceCombat Demo DiscussionsYour action RPG doesn't look as good as Torchlight!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your action RPG doesn't look as good as Torchlight!  (Read 8950 times)
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:27:18 AM »

(Update: - in the meantime, Neoseeker has changed the text, and doesn't refer to an action-RPG any more)

The gaming press strikes again: From Neoseeker:
Action RPG nuts and those that follow the independent gaming scene may want to check out a just released "combat demo" for Age of Decadence, a new installment in the genre that takes place in Roman times.

We've tried it out, and the game is certainly rough around the edges, likening itself in graphics and design more to Runescape than a modern RPG, isometric or no. For those into it, however, there seems to be a lot to love underneath the exterior -- the fan response so far is quite positive.

Age of Decadence will be done when it's done, at which time it will sell for $25 digital or $50 boxed from developer Iron Tower Studios -- a bit steep given Torchlight offers a fundamentally similar but overall much more up to date experience for $20 or less, but we digress. A full-fledged demo will be released at launch, as well.

(emphasis mine)

Uhh yeah???  Wallbang
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:13:19 AM by GhanBuriGhan » Logged

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:32:47 AM »

Roll Eyes

"Oh, 'twould be marvelous if the world and its moral questions were like some game board, with plain black players and white, and fixed rules, and nary a shade of grey."
The Black Company. Shadows Linger.

"But is the best good enough?"
(c) Oscar
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »

Gotta love the gaming media.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »

Yep, they are truly informed.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:49:07 AM »

You think we should tell them anything?

-edit-
Ok Ghan tried already.

I guess some exposure cannot hurt anyways.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:50:06 AM »

You think we should tell them anything?
I made a post.

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »

Thanks, Ghan.
Radek Smektala
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »

Quote from: THM
Looks like Gladiator game...perhaps Russell Crow will like it:)

Salute
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:01:02 AM »

At least the vibe of the piece is actually fairly positive. It's too bad they didn't bother to find out what kind of game it actually is...

caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »

If they would bother to check some facts, investigate what they are writing about or just ask someone who might know they wouldnt be working where they are.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »

Makes me feel smart and educated smug

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:51 AM »

Can't say I didn't expect comments like those. They're inevitable.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Aptus

I can see what you see not...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »

Why did I click this post... I knew my brain was going to hurt afterwards...

Gaming news must be the pinnacle of stupidity, it really amazes me they are able to breathe and sit at the same time.

Quote from: Friedrich Nietzsche
We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »

Can you guys also post a link to the combat video I made? For some reason, it doesn't let me.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »

I cant post at all, it seems i need to sign up first which i really dont want to do.
I think the video evilhyde posted isnt working. i think its the one Greg made then removed.

-edit-
No, my mistake. Its working.

a new response from .. someonw, probably the guy who wrote the piece:
The emphasis is on the word "fundamentally." Yes, they're very different in a lot of ways, but they're similar in some, too. Both have stats, weapons, combat, fantasy-based story, etc etc. I think they're similar enough that most anybody who likes AoD might prefer to spend their money on Torchlight instead, hence the mention (similarly, you can buy the Fallouts for $6 each now). Perhaps I could've been more distinct, but I've never been particular about genre.
What the f... does that even mean?
 lol
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:42:52 PM by caster » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: