Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Monday Design Update 12/14 - Catching Up  (Read 13297 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:29:26 pm »

Sorry about the lack of updates everyone. Been working on lots of system minutiae lately that no one would want to hear about because it would be boring to people who weren't implementing it. Anyhow, this week I just wanted to jump in and clarify a few misnomers I've seen on other boards in response to some press or discussion about the project.

"ZRPG is an MMO"

Nope, single-player only. Though you can play it with your friends in the room and tell them they're helping (even if they aren't).

"ZRPG doesn't have a publisher yet"

True! But that's because we're financing it and bringing it to market ourselves. Independently. Sometimes shortened to "Indie" because the "Alternative" title was ruined by bands like Counting Crows and Bush.

"Brian and Annie are doing all the work themselves"

Nope. Oscar and Nick from Iron Tower are working on it, Vince is helping with production duties,  a few artists (including Oscar) are working on it and turning out awesome stuff, and before the whole thing is through we will probably have multiple testers, artists, interns, and some sound/music production folks helping out when we get to their respective stages. It's not 200+ Assassin's Creed 2 type numbers, but there's some nifty stuff going on here.

"ZRPG is being worked on part-time"

False. ZRPG and managing DoubleBear is a full-time job for yours truly.

"The game is called ZRPG"

Nope, that's just the codename. The title is TBA right now. Though we'll still probably keep referring to it as a ZRPG.

"I'm sick of zombie games"

Me too. Which is why we're trying to make one that properly uses the setting, where we ask ourselves "what would really happen if society collapsed because of a prolonged state of emergency?" instead of "how many chainsaws do you think we could put on this chaingun?" The zombies are there because we like the zombies movies that ask serious questions about humanity and also because, well, it was much harder to make a serious horror/apocalypse game with Frankenstein. We tried.

Anything you'd like cleared up?  Post your questions in this thread.

Thanks to those that offered up suggestion on out of the way places to loot - really great suggestions, may have to steal... er, um do justice to them in the game. Keep that thread going, if you can.

Also, please check back with us next week. If all goes well, for our last design post of 2009, we may have a present for you.
CanadianWolverine
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »

Sweet! I love presents, especially ones that are a surprise, just delightful to think someone thought of you enough to give you something. Thanks for the update to the "FAQ" and here's wishing you well with your 1s & 0s and happy hunting in all your games. Smile

Oh! I have a question for you, have you played Fort Zombie? Just curious because it seems to share some similarities with your game with the few details you have released thus far, not asking you to endorse, not even really recommending it, it has a few kinks but I am having some fun with it when I am not playing Plants vs Zombies or Left 4 Dead.
DarkRadeon
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:45:32 am »

There will an open-beta or a demo?
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:08 am »

There will an open-beta or a demo?

Yes! That's what I'll be saying if there are some astounding developments in temporal physics between now and next week. And someone rents me a DeLorean. And they work out that whole paradox problem. Also, I may have to help Malcolm McDowell track down David Warner first. 
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:15:43 am »

Anything you'd like cleared up?  Post your questions in this thread.
I think I have a good overview of what you're trying to accomplish, but I do have another question:  where do I get the magnetic personality to attract 12 people to work on my indie game?  Shocked

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Aganazer
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 10:20:27 am »

Its good to see an update. I was getting a little worried since I just found out about this game a month ago and there were no updates in that time.

"I'm sick of zombie games"

Me too. Which is why we're trying to make one that properly uses the setting

Good answer! Whenever I see someone say they are sick of zombie games I keep thinking that they probably haven't even played a zombie game. Instead they played a non-zombie game that just so happens to use zombie art. There is an entire set of game mechanics and strategies unique to the zombie theme that are not used by most zombie games. As an example, LFD2 is really just a generic coop shooter that just to happens to use zombies for its art style. You could swap out the zombies with aliens, demons, or robots and it would be equally suited to the game mechanics.
Joey
Developer

Zombie textures!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:13 am »

"The game is called ZRPG"

Nope, that's just the codename. The title is TBA right now. Though we'll still probably keep referring to it as a ZRPG.
Aww, I really like the name ZRPG. If you pronounce the acronym it's got the right amount of syllables, and even those four letters are very descriptive. Its simplicity conveys the post-apocalyptic mentality. Above all, it's very unique and catchy.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:33 am »

First:
You can expect homages to all sorts of stuff in the game, including zombie films, obscure bands, and leafy vegetables from around the world.
Grin

Second:
I can’t write anything without having something funny in there, because I need to keep myself amused while writing the thing. - I feel disappointed that this answer wasn’t funny.
Ive...noticed... similar tendencies myself... ahem...
Where is a :runnsawayleavingcloudofdust: smiley when you need one?

And:
I have a question that is not nice but needs to be thrown out.

It goes:
"How much having Nick and Oscar working on "your" game is delaying us getting our beloved and much coveted AoD combat demo?" Angry
I dont even want to mention the complete AoD... but i just did Panic

(click to show/hide)

Though im really reassured by Vinces last posts about the combat demo itself.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 12:51:00 pm »

I have a question that is not nice but needs to be thrown out.

It goes:
"How much having Nick and Oscar working on "your" game is delaying us getting our beloved and much coveted AoD combat demo?" Angry
I dont even want to mention the complete AoD... but i just did Panic

(click to show/hide)

Though im really reassured by Vinces last posts about the combat demo itself.

There is no delay whatsoever.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Bjergtrold
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:48 pm »

Way to go Caster!! Now you made Oscar mad... He's gonna put a zombie in the game, with your name on it!

And by the way, great to know that things are progressing at a satisfactory pace. I just hope the game doesn't come out before I have to write my bachellor, or i'll never get it done...  Huh?
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 01:36:45 pm »

There is no delay whatsoever.
Thanks man.  Smile

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
dagorkan
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 03:27:10 pm »

The present was a render of an empty room?
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:01:06 pm »

The present was a render of an empty room?

It's what all the cool kids are doing these days Smile

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
inhuman
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 10:19:20 pm »

"ZRPG is being worked on part-time"

False. ZRPG and managing DoubleBear is a full-time job for yours truly.

In a recent post at Codex, Annie said that she has another, full-time job and ZRPG is now a part-time job for her. Here:

Also, Brian's working on the game full-time, while I'm full-time at a mainstream game company and working on ZRPG part-time (and yes, mainstream game company knows about ZRPG and is cool with me working on it so don't be all OMG ANNIE GONNA LOSE HER JOB or anything).

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=987158&highlight=#987158

So I think writing that question off with a "False" is rather omissive and thus misleading unless ZRPG = Brian and some other fellas including Annie.

Now, honestly, I can see a reasoning coming, such as "didn't think it was necessary to go in depth on everyone. there's at least one person working full-time on it and I think that's what matters". If this is the reason, please let us know. I have a theory about the train of thought involved that I'd like to share but not before a reply because it will most likely get perceived as an mocking/insult around here.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:30:06 pm by inhuman » Logged

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »

Nitpicking.

Brian said "False. ZRPG and managing DoubleBear is a full-time job for yours truly." Yours truly is the key phrase here. Brian does work on the game full time, so what do you expect him to say, "no, even though I'm working full time, we can hardly consider it important so it's clearly a part-time venture"?

He didn't say that everyone's working full time. He specified that he's working full time and didn't say anything about Annie or anyone else. Case closed, detective?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: